SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
whackingbarrel
whackingbarrel is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Question Gas in my oil 96 saturn sc2 series

Hello! I drive a 96 Saturn SC2 DOHC series (automatic). I've recently replaced my radiator, water pump, serpentine belt, spark plugs, cold air intake(short ram), etc.. I'm pointing these things out because I've done the work myself and I love this car and I am willing to do what it takes to keep this beautiful chariot.
Needless to say, I changed my oil the other day and I smelled gas. Potent gas.
Sure enough I stuck my head down in the bucket I was using to drain out the old oil and it was mixed with gas.
I really would not like to have to replace my engine.. nor buy a new car..
Id much rather have the option to fix something like the fuel pressure reegulator, fuel injector, maybe even the carbourator float neeedle, or the carb float bowl(if its being overfilled)... I'm just not sure what to do.. and if I would have it rebuilt what would I be looking at price range?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whackingbarrel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whackingbarrel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whackingbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
mrriden
mrriden is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2002 SL1
Default Re: Gas in my oil 96 saturn sc2 series

Well being a fuel injected car you have no "carbourator" nor any of the parts associated with one. A leaking fuel injector would be my first internet guess. Others here will tell you where to find them and how to check them.

'02 SC2 'The Schnoot'
'94 SL2 'Beauty' (R.I.P.)
'02 SL1 'Silver Lining'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrriden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrriden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
whackingbarrel

1999 SC2

Alright.. well I appreciate the blunt response... I just googled it and I don't know much about cars.. so I was just weighing all my options..even if they didn't apply...anywwhoo... I just need to know if its something I can fix myself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help whackingbarrel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

What is your normal operating temperature? Have you replaced the ECTS with a brass one? Is there any green corrosion on the connector?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Before going through any extra work I would send that oil off to Blackstone and find out if it actually has high levels of gas in it...

Constant short trips, failed thermostat, failed ECTS, etc. are simple things that can cause fuel dilution. A leaking injector is possible, but a failed regulator on a 96 should set a code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
whackingbarrel

1999 SC2

Well I just bought a new brass sensor for my short ram intake and going to replace it soon... and I was thinking that if that's not the problem then what would the ects(coolant temp sensor) have to do with gas getting in the oil? Wouldn't it only either be air intake related or fuel injector related? Or does a certain temp. Telll the pump how much gas to feed the engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackingbarrel View Post
Well I just bought a new brass sensor for my short ram intake and going to replace it soon... and I was thinking that if that's not the problem then what would the ects(coolant temp sensor) have to do with gas getting in the oil? Wouldn't it only either be air intake related or fuel injector related? Or does a certain temp. Telll the pump how much gas to feed the engine?
Pump has basically nothing to do with it, pump supplies a certain volume at above a certain pressure then the regulator dials the pressure in to the desired range. Injectors are pulsed with the assumption that the pressure is within that range. Fuel trims are used to dial in the exact mixtures desired by the PCM and to compensate for the less precise fuel pressure provided by the regulator.

The ECTS can tell the PCM the engine is not reaching operating temperature and it will can run insanely rich because it believes the engine is cold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Once the ECTS and connector have been confirmed to be good, the thermostat is good, and you are regularly reaching operating temperature (~200F) then I would spend the $25 to get an analysis done on that oil as anything else will be more involved and expensive to hunt down.

Exhaust leak is another common possibility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Take readings on compression and fuel pressure, compression first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

could just be short trips in cold climate. very common on modern day direct injection cars. not even considered a problem its just the way it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #11
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

bad O2 sensor.............or exhaust leak at headpipe flange giving the sensor a fake lean condition.

whats your gas milage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
could just be short trips in cold climate.
X10

How do you use the car? When you drive it, where does the needle in your temp gauge ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackingbarrel
Well I just bought a new brass sensor for my short ram intake and going to replace it soon...
The new brass sensor is for the engine, NOT the intake tube. The coolant and Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensors are the same sensors but you need to worry more about the one that is located in the engine's head. That's the one that fails and causes issues.

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
mrriden
mrriden is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2002 SL1

Leaking fuel injector still needs to be either confirmed or eliminated.

'02 SC2 'The Schnoot'
'94 SL2 'Beauty' (R.I.P.)
'02 SL1 'Silver Lining'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrriden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrriden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
whackingbarrel

1999 SC2

My car idles fine, temp gauge works fine. No smoke, funny colors coming out of the exhaust. And if I did put the new brass sensor into my air intake tube would it hurt anything?
Because the ects is working just fine. And when I bought the air intake sensor, the guy at autozone specifically said it was for the air intake on the intake, not the engine.
I mean..... I reset my battery and replaced the intake sensor. Cars worked better. Don't currently have the cash to have my oil tested.... so ill have to wait now for further inspection.... idk what to do honestly... its just been a nightmare. One thing after another.. I'm relatively new to this. But I appreciate all the help..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
whackingbarrel

1999 SC2

For the record. I drive about 38 miles twice a day 5 days a week to and from work. I put about 40 bucks in my tank weekly. I'm just trying everything I can to keep my job and fix my car. Like I've already stated, I've done all the work myself.. so I'm just trying to learn as I go. I feel so naiive about it all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #16
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackingbarrel View Post
I drive about 38 miles twice a day 5 days a week to and from work.
Well that rules out short trips causing the gas in the oil. 38 mile trips should be plenty to warm up the oil enough to evaporate out the fuel contamination. If you have a credit card, you can rent a fuel pressure gauge from AutoZone to check to see if your pressure is correct as well as check leak down time from when you turn it off. Using a credit card enables you to not actually pay anything as long as you return the kit before your billing cycle ends.

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #17
whackingbarrel

1999 SC2
Default heres a clip i uploaded to youtube with my cars idle and temp.

youtube
.com/watch?v=xaFE8jB2fho&feature
=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

Took it on a short 5-10 min drive and heated up just fine.. I don't think its a sensor.
I still have yet to do a compression test.. currently at work..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #18
whackingbarrel

1999 SC2

Well I had autozone run a diagnostic test. Everything checked out okay. Fuel pressure fine, ecu fine, not a single code popped up... which leads me to believe the pistons are shot..
So. What are the chances of me rebuilding my engine with a rebuild kit for 500 bucks? Is it worth it? Can I do it myself? I definitely don't want to try and take a ridge reamer to my block for the new pistons... and blow the work all to crap... what if I did some marvel mystery oil and cleaned up all the gunk built up in there and switched to a heavier oil?
I know that's just gonna prolong the issue but I don't hav the cash to replace my engine. A new long block from autozone will be 2300 and a used on will be around 1200 with high mileage. I have about 50 bucks to my name extra per month after bills so I'm trying :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #19
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

You are wanting to rebuild the engine because you smelled gas in the oil? Sounds to me like this engine is in perfectly good shape and you can leave it alone. A compression test and UOA would be a darn fine idea before doing anything else at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #20
whackingbarrel

1999 SC2

So I have some stuff to add.. I spoke with my dad.. he asked me if I was burning oil and I said no. So he asked me if id done a compression test yet and I also said no. And then he suggested I do that then decide if I need to either replace my valve seals or piston rings at that point. Then when I mentioned that I was burning oil but the car doesn't smoke or ever overheat he was shocked. So I told him I usee quite a bit of oil betweek oil changes so he said I have a leak somewhere. Now.. given all this... it still doesn't answer my initial question: how the hell am I getting gas in my oil?

Could it be my bad valve cover gasket? Valve seals? Bad piston rings? Oil getting in my spark plugs(causing freshly fed gas to not get ignited)? <that last one is my theory idk how accurate or sense it makes). But I'm just trying to find the source of it.
I have no cash for a few weeks so I can't do anything about it... I just have to wait and hope my car makes it until I can afford to try a few things...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!