SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL
Default How to tell if I need inner tie rods too?

So,

I took my project saturn to the tire shop to get the Mini Cooper rims and tires mounted. Everything worked out perfect with the machine work I had done on the hub openings and they look great. Issue was, the car would not hold alignment.

They said it needed 2 tie rods and 1 ball joint. Sheer coincidence, tie rods and lower control arms are the only front suspension pieces I haven't replaced. Meh, whatev's, I'll to that to.

I got a round of Raybestos lower control arms, outer tie rods, and inner tie rods. The Raybestos parts are of much better quality by appearance that the autozone parts I did on my other saturn a few years ago. I pickup new subframe to lower control arm bolts from the dealer tomorrow and will spend the weekend shredding the front end again.

Question is how do I know if I need to replace the inner tie rods. I can see how outers can be worn out but how can I tell if inners need replacing too?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: How to tell if I need inner tie rods too?

When the outer tie rod is disconnected the tie rod should stay where it is positioned or drop slowly. If you lift it up and let go of it and it falls hard then the inners are due. Definitely should stay put after removal of outer tie rod end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

I was hoping you would answer. Will do. I have some extra lower control arms to return to rock auto since I bone headedly put 2 of each item in my cart, including left ad right LCA's. If I don't need them, I won't do them.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

I'm happy to say the inner tie rods tested fine. I finally got it together and dropped her off at the alignment shop.

Now, I get to see what it takes to return parts to RockAuto for the 1st time. I'm really happy with the Raybestos parts. The quality is very good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, Wagner and Raybestos are high quality parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote