SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
axslinger
axslinger is on a distinguished road

Default Front Speakers in 99 SW2

I haven't seen much regarding the replacement of speakers in these forums, so I'll share my experience.

Step 1. Take it to Best Buy and let them do it.
Step 2. If your'e too stubborn to take it elsewhere, buy a case of beer on friday night and set your alarm for 5:00am

Remove the little wing at the front of the door. I used a flat head screw driver. Just gently pry it off. There are two clips that hold it on.

Remove all the screws from the door panel. I believe there are 4 or 5. 2 in the grab handle, 1 in the door handle cavity, one in the lower front corner and there may be one more. Don't remember.

Now, the insert that the door handle is mounted to can be released by putting a flathead screwdriver under the front of it and gently pry it up. The entire assembly will slide forward or backward (again, can't remember). Technically, the panel is ready to come off...however, there are two linkage rods and an electrical connection that go to the door handle assembly (assuming power locks and power windows).

The trick is getting the linkage disconnected from the door handle. They are both "L" shaped. One points up and one points down, and they both have a retaining clip that is part of the door handle so they won't fall off, but they need to be swiveled to unclip them from the actuator rods. At this point, the top rod needs to be pulled up and the bottom rod needs to be pulled down to release them from the door handle. Now, the electrical plug can be unplugged from the lock switch.

At this point the door handle assembly should be free of the door. Lift the eitire pane straight up then out and its off.

Don't ask how to put it back together. After 45 minutes of trying to get the door handle back on with absolutely no room to work, I gave up and am going to let Best Buy do it for $45. When I called best buy, thes said Saturns are a bear to change speakers on. And he said the rear speakers are even worse. I can't imagine them being worse, but I'll take his word for it.

I am guessing much of this would be virtually simple if I were to remove the outer panel, but at this point I was too disgruntled to even bother.

I will say putiing in an after-market stereo was a quite simple matter. I got the mounting kit and wiring harness from crutchfield. And it was worthwhile. I put in a Sony with Bluetooth, Aux input, CD, 54W x 4 and it sounds quite nice. Puts the stock Saturn garbage to shame. Even with the stock Saturn speakers.

Hope this info was useful.

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to axslinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help axslinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
axslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links