what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
tom1pa is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1997 SL2
Default 2003 L200 w/ rear drum brakes 99k miles

I started to develop a "squeeling" sound from the right rear brake upon sitting overnight or damp conditions. This was the first time I had removed the rear drums for inspection, I noticed the right rear was worn down almost 3/4 more than the left. I purchased new lining and new springs and took the right side apart first being carefull to note spring positions, etc. I decided to replace the adjuster hardware also, but upon pricing new adjuster hardware I found out there is a difference in parts between the left and right brakes. I realize that the spreader bar is side specific for the auto adjuster tab to fit into but according to the kits from NAPA and Advance Auto (Autozone shows no kit) the right side has extra parts. The Haynes manual only shows a generic picture of a rear drum assembly, not a whole lot of help there. Does anybody know what the difference is between the left and right side hardware? or does anybody have actual photos of each side. I believe that by the extreme wear on the right side shoes either that side was installed incorrectly or there are parts missing. I purchased this car used so I have no service record from the previous owner. Does NOT have ABS.

Last edited by tom1pa; 05-17-2010 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: forgot text

Add to tom1pa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tom1pa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tom1pa is offline   Reply With Quote Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
cmac212 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 L200 w/ rear drum brakes 99k miles

I have recently had the same problem, but opposite, on my 03 L200. I had some squealing, took off the drums and the right was full and the left was worn down BAD (original shoes, 106,000+ milies). Bought new shoes at Advanced, put them in, pedal went to the floor and ebrake wouldnt hold at all. After trying to figure it out myself and multiple times at different shops, the adjuster arm on the right side was bad (so they say). It STILL makes this grinding noise when I am moving forward slowly with pressure applied (creep forward from a stop/just before coming to a complete stop). I'm at my wit's end with trying to figure it out. I havent heard anything about there being more parts on one side vice the other, you would think they would be identical! Thinking back, I remember there being the exact same number of parts. And these Haynes manuals could be much more descriptive, I feel like they just assume you know what they're talking about! I don't have any pics, I probably should have taken some for my own personal records. Google doesn't help, either. Hope you get it all figured out without having to take it somewhere.

Add to cmac212's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmac212 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cmac212 is offline   Reply With Quote