SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Qwesterman
Qwesterman is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE
Default Radio static on local stations

I haven't heard it mentioned here but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue. On local stations around town (Toronto) I get an abnormal amount of static. The station fades in and out also. I have taken it in multiple times to my dealer and the company they outsource this to has said they have replaced the 07 radio with a new 07 one and also a new 08 one. They have tried different programming and replaced the antenna also. I have escalated it to GM and their engineers have talked to this outside company and they have all come to the conclusion that this is normal for a digital radio. This is happening on both AM and FM local stations. I have had several GM cars in the past and all of them had a working radio so I don't think I am expecting too much here. Have any of you experienced this or do you have any other options that I can explore (upgrading the radio?)

Thanks in advance.

07 Outlook XE AWD
White
Cold weather Pkg
Preferred Pkg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qwesterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qwesterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Qwesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
derwin
derwin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Radio static on local stations

I have had about the same success as you with my outlook and my previous Avalanche. Very hit or miss - almost depends on the weather. I have pretty much given up on it entirely and just use my ipod. I have found that my blackberry does interfere some - perhaps you too have a cell interfering?
(esp with am bands - note the xm comes in clear - but I only have the preview for that, I dont subscribe)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to derwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help derwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
derwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Qwesterman
Qwesterman is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Thanks derwin. Mine seems to be crappy weather or not. It does seem to be especially bad in valleys but is also terrible just around town. I don't have XM so I can't test that but if I use CD's or MP3 player attached to it, it works fine. It is the base radio offered with the car but I still think it should be able to receive a local mainstream station with no problem. When I have had it in for service they have given me both an 07 and 08 Outlook with the same stereo and it has worked properly. Does anyone have any experience with upgrading the stereo through the dealer after purchase?

Thanks

07 Outlook XE AWD
White
Cold weather Pkg
Preferred Pkg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qwesterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qwesterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Qwesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
derwin
derwin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I have the nav with rear ent. system. What about with the engine off? If thats better there is, I believe, a noise cancellation thing you might be able to put on .. (radio shops have these)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to derwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help derwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
derwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue with our Outlook. I have had the dealership look at it and they say that this is normal and there is nothing wrong with the radio. It's been frustrating, but we usually only listen to XM, so I haven't been bothered by it too much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Now that you mention it, I had noticed this, also in Toronto, with my '07 Outlook when I first picked it up. I haven't noticed it in months, though; either I'm used to it, or it stopped.

I receive Jack-FM well past Kitchener, so reception is good *outside* the city...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
blonde1over
blonde1over is on a distinguished road

I had this same issue on the FM stations, took it to the dealership and they claimed it's caused by the XM satellite receiver wires running too close to the normal radio antenna wires. They claimed to have moved the wires and it solved the issue. Ask your dealer to check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blonde1over's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blonde1over reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blonde1over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
orono
orono is on a distinguished road

I have an 07 in the shop right now for a similiar problem Worked fine until all the dash lights went out a couple of nights ago. The dealer said they had to have it looked at by a 3rd party.
Will let you know the outcome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orono's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orono reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
orono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

the front-end in a radio receiver can be designed for either weak signals or strong signals, but rarely both. The symptoms that we all experience sound to me like interference from multiple strong signal sources, a problem in Toronto where there are many powerful stations (all trying to blanket Barrie and parts north with our propaganda! :-)

I too have noticed static and/or fade on stations in Toronto, and have noticed that it gets better when you leave the city (and that reception is terrific for long distances outside the city!). It sounds to me that the Outlook receiver is tweaked towards the weak signal side...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
NRJIZED
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post
the front-end in a radio receiver can be designed for either weak signals or strong signals, but rarely both. The symptoms that we all experience sound to me like interference from multiple strong signal sources, a problem in Toronto where there are many powerful stations (all trying to blanket Barrie and parts north with our propaganda! :-)

I too have noticed static and/or fade on stations in Toronto, and have noticed that it gets better when you leave the city (and that reception is terrific for long distances outside the city!). It sounds to me that the Outlook receiver is tweaked towards the weak signal side...
Propaganda? Sorry for the threadjack. Just curious what you mean....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote