SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
eric.ashley
eric.ashley is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Saturn Astra Block Heater cord

Looking for 2008 Saturn Astra block heater cord. If anyone knows where I can get one just shoot me a reply. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric.ashley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric.ashley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric.ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Brenton
Brenton is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Block Heater cord

Your best bet is to find one in a wrecker honestly. They're hard to come by and over $200 CAD at the stealership. I repaired mine after I pulled it out twice (Ugh) and it just shorted on me so I'm in the same boat.

I've been told other cars use the same adapter but I've yet to see anything quite the same as ours. You can also try ordering it online, the Vauxhall/Opel Astra would use the same part if they had the cord.

Best of luck to both of us I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brenton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brenton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton View Post
Your best bet is to find one in a wrecker honestly. They're hard to come by and over $200 CAD at the stealership. I repaired mine after I pulled it out twice (Ugh) and it just shorted on me so I'm in the same boat.

I've been told other cars use the same adapter but I've yet to see anything quite the same as ours. You can also try ordering it online, the Vauxhall/Opel Astra would use the same part if they had the cord.

Best of luck to both of us I guess.
I bought one several years ago from an online GM Mega Parts Outlet. At the time, they were still available on order from my local GM dealer at about $190. The one I bought was not cheap, I'm thinking $138 shipped, but I still saved some money. What I got was the cord, in a Calix brand box, along with the fascia plug-in socket, housing, mounting hardware and the wiring from the socket to the heater going into the side of the engine.

Try looking online for Calix brand engine block heaters for the Astra. I have seen some on eBay for the Opel Astra H but they are for the 1.6L engine. Is there a difference? Probably. Is there a difference in the plug prong as opposed to the North American ones? Maybe?

Let me know if you want the part # off of the Calix box and I can look when I get a chance because I still have it, because unfortunately, I save almost everything. Funny thing is about two years later, after I bought the new cord, I found the heater power cord from the XE that I bought used, buried under the rear seat. I want to keep that as spare because those cords are almost as good as gold now. I put a big, removable hang tag on my steering wheel whenever I have the cord in use.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 CEL Special Edition, 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:50 AM   #4
susieque
susieque is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Could you please post the part number, and just to verify the cord fits a 2008 Saturn Astra XR? Thank you very much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to susieque's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help susieque reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
susieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Try looking online for Calix brand engine block heaters for the Astra. I have seen some on eBay for the Opel Astra H but they are for the 1.6L engine. Is there a difference? Probably. Is there a difference in the plug prong as opposed to the North American ones? Maybe?
Use caution as Euros often use wrong plug type, 220v, 50Hz, etc. There may be other specs which differ by market as well.

With this much power near fuel lines, you want to avoid electrical fires at all costs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
Anto7
Anto7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.ashley View Post
Looking for 2008 Saturn Astra block heater cord. If anyone knows where I can get one just shoot me a reply. Thanks
Not sure if you ever managed to get your block heater cord or not. I have one for my 2009 Astra XR that I believe has never been used. I know I have never used it and itís looks brand new.
Let me know if you are still looking.
Cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anto7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Anto7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Anto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieque View Post
Could you please post the part number, and just to verify the cord fits a 2008 Saturn Astra XR? Thank you very much.
Sorry, I don't keep up on this forum as much as I could, so I will get that Calix box part # for the cord to you tomorrow.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieque View Post
There are all lot of numbers on the box but mainly the GM part number of 94718543. The official GM label with the hologram is stickered over the Calix label on the box, which is interestingly, the same number. On that same label in smaller print is 168248 and 176247. The only (use full?) number on the label on the other end of the box is 3118025.

I punched that number in, and it cross referenced to a VW/Audi, (hey, it's German!), used heater cord for sale on eBay that was part numbered 5K0965539. That one pictured sure looks like the one used for the Astra. It would roughly fit a 2009-2012 vintage Golf, Jetta or A3. Apparently, checking further on VW forums, I see that these are tough to come by with their crowd too. The used one goes on eBay for $70 and a new one, sold by a vendor called ECS Tuning, will set you back a hundred and twelve bucks. These are both current listings, so you may want to look them up.

I do see that GMPartsGiant.com lists a heater cord for the Astra P/N 94719595, replaced by P/N 96476972, for a whopping $162.

I attached a picture of what all comes in the box with the Calix cord I bought a few years ago. For some reason I could not upload more pictures that show other views of the box. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2387.jpg (102.0 KB, 5 views)

PaulR

Last edited by PaulR; 03-18-2019 at 08:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!