SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Zipper
Zipper is on a distinguished road

Question Strange vibes at front end

2005 Ion has gradually developed a intermittent shimmy apparently from the driver's side front.
Felt through the seat of the pants, particularly in the shotgun seat and quite softly through the wheel.
I purchased all new tires (needed anyway) had them all balanced and had the tracking set up (it was a little out). The shimmy came back, cruising on the highway 60-70mph it disappears but on decelleration comes back but is not ALWAYS there. Sometimes it's noticable just a 15-20mph moving through heavy traffic.

I wondered at first about an out of center disc but surely that would be noticed every time I applied the brakes?
Only other thing that occurs to me is a worn strut or mount, external check doesn't show anything obvious.

Mileage is 57k+ base model 2.2 engine

Otherwise this is a great car (4244 mile round trip FL-CO-FL without missing a beat).

Any suggestions to the mystery would be welcome.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Strange vibes at front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
2005 Ion has gradually developed a intermittent shimmy apparently from the driver's side front.
Felt through the seat of the pants, particularly in the shotgun seat and quite softly through the wheel.
I purchased all new tires (needed anyway) had them all balanced and had the tracking set up (it was a little out). The shimmy came back, cruising on the highway 60-70mph it disappears but on decelleration comes back but is not ALWAYS there. Sometimes it's noticable just a 15-20mph moving through heavy traffic.

I wondered at first about an out of center disc but surely that would be noticed every time I applied the brakes?
Only other thing that occurs to me is a worn strut or mount, external check doesn't show anything obvious.

Mileage is 57k+ base model 2.2 engine

Otherwise this is a great car (4244 mile round trip FL-CO-FL without missing a beat).

Any suggestions to the mystery would be welcome.
A shimmy that comes and goes at various speeds is usually a wheel or 2 or more that is out of balance.
Take the car to the place where you got the tires and ask them to check the balance of the tires installed, and if it was just 2, ask kindly if they will check the other 2. Balance weights can dislodge and get lost, so it is very possible.
If not the wheels, check your bearings. Does the vibration increase a lot when you brake?
Worn struts will cause extra vibration, but only when going over bumps etc. Badly balanced wheels WILL make the shock problem worse.
Burnt rotors is another issue, but this will only show when braking.
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Zipper
Zipper is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Strange vibes at front end

Hmmmm...it was all four tires that were changed and I've had a wheel rotation since then. As it happens two of the tires (probably supercheap Chinese!) were giving a shimmy and were exchanged under warranty but at the back - I've had a subsequent oil change with automatic tire rotation since and the problem persists.
Front wheel bearings especially FWD is always a possible, the wheel passes the "hand wobble test" - I wonder if I kerbed it? I agree the brake/rotor is unlikely.

Unfortunately, I'm condo living with no garage or space to work on it myself, thanks for the input, let's see what time may bring.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote