SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 06:35 PM   #1
Green_Hornet
Green_Hornet is on a distinguished road

Default New Saturn model...?

I was drifting around on the internet when I landed on the Opel webpage. Very nice design, clean and clear, and informative (Only in metric though, bloody hell)
The Opel Astra is a nice coupewith a 2.0 liter turbocharged four cylinder engine, HP is around 190 I believe, the English way for measuring it is a little different...
0 to 62 MPH is in 7.2 seconds, top speed of 149 MPH (I'm converting these figures from metric to our standard, a little weird, might wanna check it yourself)
Roughly 68 inches wide, about 168 inches long, and 55 inches tall. It looks like a great car from the outside, and the inside is very clean, spare, and ergonomic.
As I looked at the car, I thought, "This could work as a new model". Not as a new platform for the SC, or as a base for the SL, since it's smaller then both of those (SC is 180" long)
It could be Saturn's image car, a little sports convertible (Or roadster)
Minimal conversions would be necessary, just sheet metal (plastic?) and Americanizing the interior slightly. Of course, if GM actually built a Saturn based on the Astra, it would bloat it's size, balloon it's weight, give it a tiny 100 HP engine, a crappy 5-speed manual, and an interior replete with AC/Delco buttons and knobs. If they could just, for ONCE, take an Opel and just change a few things about it, oh happy day. A six-speed manual transmission, 16" wheels, a classy and sporty interior, a rev-happy little turbo-four, and crisp styling, along with a 100% European chassis, suspension, and of course, the performance to boot. Imagine how cool it would be to drive little Saturn roadsters that could beat rice rockets without us having to bolt on parts. AND, since this little coupe has more HP then the SC and SL, and possibly the LS100-300, the whole Saturn line would get a horsepower boost. Any comments?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Green_Hornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Green_Hornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2001, 08:26 PM   #2
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If they could just, for ONCE, take an Opel and just change a few things about it, oh happy day.
They will be...in the Delta platform 2004 Cavalier, which will essentially be a rebadge Opel Astra. More than likely the Astra coupe with the 2.0L turbo will head into the Cavalier Z24.

The Delta platform Saturn ION will probably linger with the friendly 'brand' of GM. Modifying what's in the next Delta platform based Opel Astra, add spaceframe and polymer panels. Chevy won't let Saturn get ahead in the performance scene.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2001, 05:37 PM   #3
Green_Hornet

I wish, just for once, that SATURN would be better at something. You think Chevy'd back off and chill for a little, long enough to let Saturn get in a chunk of the market

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Green_Hornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2001, 08:44 PM   #4
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

DBLW & Green Hornet,
The Delta-spec Chevy Cavalier Z24 won't be that much different from its pedestrian variant unless John Moss (the Godfather of the '94-'96 Impala SS and performance tweaker of all things Chevrolet) has something to say about it. I'll venture to say that the '02 model's 2.2 Ecotec motor will be the next Cav's base motor and that the Z24 variant will be lucky to see 165 ponies underhood.

The problem is Chevrolet won't back off of what they view as an "upstart" car company responsible for the demise of Oldsmobile and culpable in draining resources that could be better used to the Bowtie division's benefit. After all, Chevy's been around since 1911. They have seniority.

OTOH, If Saturn offers a 100-bhp base ION, how likely is it to sell? Saturn must bump up the numbers to stay competitive with its respective segment without threatening the sales of the Delta Cavalier. I'll go out on a limb and say IONs will offer 125-140 bhp from the Ecotec motor. Turbos, if approved, will be limited to the coupe models and would likely be detuned below the Cavalier Z24's hp rating .

Yeah, Chevy should take a chill pill. But I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by GR898SL2; 11-09-2001 at 08:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:19 PM   #5
Green_Hornet

Ach weel, if a man can but do no more then dream, at least his dream can be great

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2001, 10:33 PM   #6
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

How about the Holden Monaro for the L-series coupe?

http://www.motortrend.com/oct01/holden/holden_f.html

Give it a characteristic Saturn front and rear end.

Okay okay...maybe not, but a guy can drool, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:45 PM   #7
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

How about G.M. importing the Lotus Elise under any badge?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2001, 02:09 AM   #8
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ Bellinis
How about G.M. importing the Lotus Elise under any badge?
Why waste time with that rattle trap, when you could be driving the Opel Speedster! Now that is a kickass car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 11-10-2001, 10:14 AM   #9
Green_Hornet

That Opel Speedster is seriously COOL! Do I see it's arrival on our shores as an image car for Saturn.....? Am I just dreaming again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2001, 10:46 AM   #10
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Green_Hornet
That Opel Speedster is seriously COOL! Do I see it's arrival on our shores as an image car for Saturn.....? Am I just dreaming again?
You're half dreaming. It's coming to the US...but as a Pontiac.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2001, 11:00 AM   #11
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by DBLW1

You're half dreaming. It's coming to the US...but as a Pontiac.
When did this decision get made? I know back about 6 months ago GM was trawling for interest among both Saturn and Pontiac- Saturn didn't like the styling(bad Saturn, bad-go sit in the corner!) but Pontiac wanted a more Pontiac like nose. It also was rumored that the Fiero name would be ressurrected(I doubt it, that would be too good to be true), and that the MR2 vs. Fiero turf war would begin again. Price was 26-30K. A bit too much if you ask me. THe new MR2 is around 21.

I'd import as is. Its an all around GREAT design. Vauxhall thought so! There version only changes the name and the grille!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Closed Thread