SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
RBrown20
RBrown20 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL
Default HELP HELP HELP!!!! NO TAIL LIGHTS OR DASH LIGHTS..... PROBATION IN three HOURS!!!

Allright, so my car got hit my a drunk driver, busted pass. side tail light. this was sunday morning, saturday night, whatever. so im driving home last night, my dash starts flickering, and then they go out. all dash lights, and my tail and brake lights. I still have reverse lights and my left blinker... first assumption, wires on busted tail light rubbed and blew a fuse. i couldnt find the fuse last night, I checked 3 of them, cant recall which ones, i think prk lghts, drl lghts and body? I cant remember, but I have to leave in 2.5 hours to go to probation. can I get another fuse to check? or somthing.. i need brake lights and tail lights... im driving through BUSY BUSY down town.

94 SL

Where the fug is my mirror?
~No Regrets, Just Life Lessons~
I need more speakers
94, SL, 250k+, manual trans, no power anything, sparkplugs, exhaust, CAI, steering wheel, FLUX CAPACITER!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RBrown20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RBrown20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RBrown20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2
Default Re: HELP HELP HELP!!!! NO TAIL LIGHTS OR DASH LIGHTS..... PROBATION IN three HOURS!!!

Check all of your fuses, check your relays and check your wires. Probably just got a little moisture on them... you're such a sissy! If you have a tester, pull it out and make sure you do not have a cut wire or something or a wire grounding the others out.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
RBrown20

1994 SL
Default Re: HELP HELP HELP!!!! NO TAIL LIGHTS OR DASH LIGHTS..... PROBATION IN three HOURS!!!

I could figure it out, but I have to report to my probation officer in a few hours, I need some tips to hurry. do you know what fuse my brake and tail lights are on?

I need more speakers
94, SL, 250k+, manual trans, no power anything, sparkplugs, exhaust, CAI, steering wheel, FLUX CAPACITER!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RBrown20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

not off the top of my head. It only takes max 3 minutes to pull every fuse... come on now...

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Check your owner's manual. IIRC, stop and tail/park lamps are on two different fuses. Taillamp fuse is probably marked PARK.

Did you check BOTH fuse boxes?

Before actually replacing the blown fuse(s), I'd bet a nickel that the light socket itself is shorting either/both circuits to ground. Go back there and trace the wire "upstream" from the bulb socket. About a foot upstream, there should be a connector; unplug that connector so as to remove that short harness from the circuit. Later, you'll have to see what's wrong with it; it could be something as simple as a bashed-up bulb base creating a short. Worst-case, you'll have to replace that little harness with one from a salvage yard car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
RBrown20

1994 SL

Thank you sir... the bulb shorting the socket is what im going for, I have tail lights, but no brake lights now.. ****.

I need more speakers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
paterson
paterson is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

Quad driver ,,,,,,,,,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paterson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paterson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Betcha 90% of drivers have no idea what hand signals are... it's actually sunny and warm (30?) today

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
RBrown20

1994 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Betcha 90% of drivers have no idea what hand signals are... it's actually sunny and warm (30?) today
DID YOU SEE THE SNOW!!!! WTF?!?! oh, and I grew up on motorcycles, I know hand signals. but it sure as hell isnt 30* today. the only problem is, ya, I know hand signals, but not the guy behind me.

I need more speakers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

good point... lol. Well did you go? And have you figured out what the hell your problem is... oh I mean the car's problem is.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
RBrown20

1994 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
good point... lol. Well did you go? And have you figured out what the hell your problem is... oh I mean the car's problem is.
ya, I went, its all good. bulb shorting out, but still no brake lights... any one got any more ideas, i cant find a bad fuse.

I need more speakers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrown20 View Post
DID YOU SEE THE SNOW!!!! WTF?!?! oh, and I grew up on motorcycles, I know hand signals. but it sure as hell isnt 30* today.
My bad, we live in different parts of the state
Quote:
the only problem is, ya, I know hand signals, but not the guy behind me.
...and the cops, who love to hand out "fix it" tickets... you don't want to be late to meet with a PO because you got pulled over

Anyway, find the truck that backed into your car and her PPI will pay for your repairs

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
ya, I went, its all good. bulb shorting out, but still no brake lights... any one got any more ideas, i cant find a bad fuse.
Stop looking for "a bad" fuse, and look for THE fuse for the brake lights, as documented in your owner's manual, and indicated on the covers for the junction boxes. TEST that fuse with an ohmmeter / continuity tester.

Next, test for power at the fuse socket, and at both sides of the brake light switch, both with and without activating it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
RBrown20

1994 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Stop looking for "a bad" fuse, and look for THE fuse for the brake lights, as documented in your owner's manual, and indicated on the covers for the junction boxes.
would that be the owners manual that didnt come with the car. and the covers that do not tell me which one? and I will use the multimeter in my storage unit. yes, if one of these scenerio's played out the way I wanted them to, I wouldnt need to post this thread. I apologize if this is rude, I am a little stressed out.

I need more speakers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
would that be the owners manual that didnt come with the car.
No, that would be the one, well, any one of the 70-ish, available on eBay right now. (Well, it would actually be the one of many that were available on eBay back when you bought the car, _before_ you needed it, but I digress....)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #16
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

did you check for the wires for nics or any cuts in them... Did you check the connectors for corrosion. I had a taillight that burned out on me every day... changed the bulb holder out because you could see where it was burned never had the issue again....

I broke my rule. I try to, and you should too, not try to relate your car to the OPs as not all problems are the same, even with same symptoms... but sometimes it helps.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!