SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
prestone08
prestone08 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default The Speedometer says 0

Hey everyone!

So,

Funny story my VUE which I love dearly started having a very weird issue with the speedometer about a month ago where the needle would bounce and go all over the place and alomst never read the correct speed. I replaced the speed sensor on the car and that seemed to correct the issue. Then 2 days ago the speedometer started registering zero. So, I again replaced the speed sensor and no luck It reads zero still. I returned that part under warranty and installed a third sensor. Still no readout on the speedometer.

Am I missing something? If I had a automatic trans I think I wouldn't even be able to drive the car.

I have done lots of reading and one thing to note I did replace the alternator about 6 months ago. But, I had no issues after that.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Displacement 2.2L/134
Fuel System SFI
Trans Order Code MG3
Trans Type 5 5.0 min 5.0 max

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prestone08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prestone08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prestone08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: The Speedometer says 0

Four or five speed automatic? Which speed sensor? There are two on the xmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
prestone08

2006 VUE 2.2L

5 speed Manual Transmission

There is only one VSS right behind the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help prestone08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A five speed manual? That's rare for a Vue. Presuming '05 Vues are the same for '06, wiring shows the vehicle speed sensor (vss) outputs to the pcm then the pcm signal drives the speedometer. With several replacement sensors not likely the issue, were any sensors found with metal particles stuck to it, suggesting metal debris in the hear case? Other considerations; wiring between sensor and pcm and possibly faulty speedometer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
prestone08

2006 VUE 2.2L

When I pulled out the second VSS there were a few very small metal filings on the sensor but I assumed it was due to normal wear and tear for a high mileage car. The speedometer was working at one point but bouncing all over about a month ago. but now it is just stuck at zero.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not certain which way to proceed because of electronics. With experience in electronics in fixed equipment in facilities, there's a certain amount of assurance of wiring not being an issue. This leads to sensors or supply voltage failure. With cars, trucks and suvs, everything vibrates from potholes, subjecting wiring, sensors, computers and power supply as suspect in troubleshooting. Swapping sensors didn't fix the problem leaving wiring and speedometer as suspect. The engine computer failing to take in the vehicle speed sensor signals and massaging it to drive the speedometer isn't likely a failure point.

Some metal fillings are expected and I asked out of curiosity to eliminate metal from interfering with signal processing. A large amount of filings would be cause for concern.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
prestone08

2006 VUE 2.2L

I am pulling trouble code P0502

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestone08 View Post
I am pulling trouble code P0502
Perhaps service manual extract will help.

Repost or send PM if you need any data mentioned in extract.

BTW any code reader capable of handling live data should provide speed info. If you can see on code reader it probably indicates the IPC speedometer circuit has croaked.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Getrag DTC P0502.pdf (73.5 KB, 12 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ I didn't think of using a reader capable of displaying speeds but this is certainly a way to troubleshoot with new info (P0502). From what I can see, the same circuitry is used between '05 and '06 Vues with manual xmissions. It would be great if the fuse was the culprit..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
prestone08

2006 VUE 2.2L

So this is AWESOME troubleshooting help thank you so so so much.

I was able to get my hands on a Live code reader and all of the speed sensors that I could see while the car was moving showed that it was at zero on the code reader. So no speed data seems to be reaching to ECM?

Is that correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestone08 View Post
So this is AWESOME troubleshooting help thank you so so so much.

I was able to get my hands on a Live code reader and all of the speed sensors that I could see while the car was moving showed that it was at zero on the code reader. So no speed data seems to be reaching to ECM?

Is that correct?
You've made lots of progress and it appears sensor or one of three wires going to sensor has a problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Getrag 5-Speed VSS Diag.pdf (22.1 KB, 5 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #12
prestone08

2006 VUE 2.2L

WELL!

After testing the sensor and sensor wires I have found that there is a bad ground going to the sensor connector. I confirmed this by piercing the back of the wire and providing a ground for the sensor and then driving and the speedo started working.

So, now I need to chase out this ground unless someone has a ground chart?

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP SO FAR!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

I'd just add a wire. If I remember, most of the ground wires are Black with White strip. Take the ground to the common connection on the driver side wheel well fender. The battery minus is also at that point.

ALSO - Consider adding a couple additional ground wires.. I added these to solve a speedometer jumping and some occasional misfiring..

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216101

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote