SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
Mysaturnbeater
Mysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura about

Default Revs high

New member and my first thread.
I have a 1998 sc1. It has about 265k miles on it.
I notice or I should say it's been doing this for a while now that it will start to review high when I'm idling or just at a stop light. It just happens while I'm driving. Revs at about 2k rpm.
I wouldn't say it happens every time I drive but on some days it happens more often. When I turn the car off and restart it then it will idle normally.
A couple of yrs ago someone mentioned it has something to do with when I brake.
I noticed if I pump the brake it will review a just bit higher.
Anyone know what is the exact cause and do I need to be worried? Like I said its been happening for a few yrs. Is it expensive to get it fixed or should I just leave as is until my car goes until it's final day?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mysaturnbeater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mysaturnbeater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mysaturnbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: Revs high

If you turn the car off and back on again and the idle returns to normal, then it is a faulty IAC, or idle air control valve which is bolted onto the side of throttle body.

You should also check the coolant temp sensor and connector, and of course vacuum leaks will also cause erratic idle.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
Ionizen
Ionizen is on a distinguished road

TPS, Throttle Position Sensor is what fixed my idle problem like that. Car would idle so high I could take my foot of the brake and with no gas pedal car would accelerate to 30 mph. If I took my foot of the gas at 50 mph car would hold speed like it was on cruise.

My local mechanic never found it after 3 visits. I found it on my first visit to this site through a Google search.

GMpartsdirect.com. OEM replacement for $30. Also clean or replace your IAC and EGR. About an hours work for all three jobs and my car idles at about 750 rpm now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ionizen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ionizen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ionizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #4
Mysaturnbeater
Mysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura about

Thanks.
I'll have to ask my buddy to take a look at it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mysaturnbeater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Your buddy? Why cant you do it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Mysaturnbeater

I don't really work on cars. But I guess I could learn. If it's not to hard. It would be easier if someone had the time to help me out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysaturnbeater View Post
I don't really work on cars. But I guess I could learn. If it's not to hard. It would be easier if someone had the time to help me out
To replace the TPS, you need a ratchet handle with at least a 3" extension and 10mm socket, a small Torx screwdriver (I can't recall the exact size) and a small, flathead screwdriver to pop a connector off the top of the throttle body. 10-15 minutes max to do the job. A can of carb cleaner would be helpful for spray cleaning the gunk out of the inside of the throttle body while you have it off the car.

If you are not confident yet, get out there and watch your buddy. It's how my boys learned to work on cars when they were young. (You may not be able to sit up under the hood like they did.) And this site has great helps. A Saturn is a good car to learn on if you have any interest.

Current
1999 SC2 - 435,000 miles
1999 SL2 - 198,000 miles

Previous
1996 SC2 and 1999 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
Mysaturnbeater

Thanks for the info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #9
Mysaturnbeater

Is there a video on how things done? I'm a visual learner.
Thankd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try richpin videos. There are thousands of YouTube videos about cars. Separating the wannabe know-it-alls that know nothing but want to be famous by collecting thumbs up checks from knowledgeable people can be difficult sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Richpin is a good go to for videos.
There are some quite well document posts on this forum about the process and tools needed.
My first car repair ever was removing my throttle body and cleaning it. I screwed up a bit and didnt have the throttle body cleaner to clean it up. And i forgot to put on the vacuum line so my car would make a sound that sounds somerhing like a vacuum sucking in air. I eventually figured out what went wrong and put it back on like it should have been.

I had done the repair because my gas pedal was sticking to the point where engaging it took considerable foot pressure and most of the time, it broke like a trigger on a gun. Theres pressure, and then finally the trigger breaks and the gun fires. Kind of what was happening. Id press until the gas pedal decided to finally move and the car would jerk forward and move. Cleaning the TB got rid of most of that.

Stuff id reccomend having when messing with cars is a way to get out a stripped, stuck bolt. Stuff like pb blaster, a stuck bolt remover, a breaker bar, and a dremel. I got a bolt stuck doing my thermostat. Not fun. Car sat for 2 days while i scrambled to find the stuff to get that cursed bolt out.

One other important thing is to take your time. Try not to touch anything that you dont know what it does. Try to learn what everything does and what its purpose is. You dont sound like a person who would run their car until it quit moving even though something obviously isnt right, because you made a post about the revs. Most people wouldnt pay any attention to that or even realize what the tachometer is or what its for.

If you have some mechanical inclination, than you can definitely work on your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Mysaturnbeater

So a few months ago I did replace the tps unit. It fixed my high idle. But now it's idling high again.
Is it safe to say it's the IAC and EGR?

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The only way an egr valve can increase rpm would be a gasket leak allowing fresh air into the intake port under the egr valve. Depending on where gasket damage occurred may also show exhaust gases to leak out since the egr valve has two ports. The sole job of every egr valve is to stay closed at idle and wide open throttle and vary it's valve opening to control exhaust gases feeding into the intake manifold to reduce combustion temperatures. Egr valve are not likely the problem.

A sticking idle air control valve can create higher and lower rpm across the rpm band. Cleaning the throttle body on a bench may help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Mysaturnbeater

Thanks. I'm in the process of buying a IAC. What the coolant temp sensor and connector. Is that located near the area of the IAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The only way an egr valve can increase rpm would be a gasket leak allowing fresh air into the intake port under the egr valve. Depending on where gasket damage occurred may also show exhaust gases to leak out since the egr valve has two ports. The sole job of every egr valve is to stay closed at idle and wide open throttle and vary it's valve opening to control exhaust gases feeding into the intake manifold to reduce combustion temperatures. Egr valve are not likely the problem.

A sticking idle air control valve can create higher and lower rpm across the rpm band. Cleaning the throttle body on a bench may help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Thanks. I'm in the process of buying a IAC. What the coolant temp sensor and connector. Is that located near the area of the IAC?
you said you were a visual learner, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cucm7QGlsYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNZq6PuOi5c

ECTS is located under the EGR; connector has two wires

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...closer/cat/500

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...cation/cat/500

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #16
Mysaturnbeater

Thanks for the help.

Ok so... I'm doing some price check on a IAC. On eBay there is 1 for just under $9 and the brand is isumo. But partsgeek.com has them for $18 to $41depending on the brand. Other websites has them for about $14 or so.
My local autozone has them for $44.

So which do I go for? Has anyone bought parts on eBay that were most likely Chinese made and it has lasted for a while?
I'm also buying fuel filter. On eBay it's $15 (ptc branded) and goes up from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I re-read the entire thread.

I would re-check your TPS - when you get the high idle, turn the engine off and on again to see if it goes away.

I did some research before replacing my TPS a few days ago - found several threads saying they had early failure with certain TPS brands. The thread I found suggested Standard Motor Products (got mine from Rockauto - it was the cheapest source at the time)

There is also a way to test the IAT - read this post and the one shortly after
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=330

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=333

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
Dooter11
Dooter11 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

Ok so... I'm doing some price check on a IAC. On eBay there is 1 for just under $9 and the brand is isumo. But partsgeek.com has them for $18 to $41depending on the brand. Other websites has them for about $14 or so.
My local autozone has them for $44.

So which do I go for? Has anyone bought parts on eBay that were most likely Chinese made and it has lasted for a while?
I'm also buying fuel filter. On eBay it's $15 (ptc branded) and goes up from there.

Ive recently made this decision on a few parts for my 00 Saturn, and I went with getting the cheapest Autozone/Oreilly part with Lifetime Warranty. Sometimes Oreilly will be 10-30 dollars more expensive than AZ so just make sure you check both.

The idea for me is that although I'm paying 10-15 more on the in-store product, I get a lifetime warranty, so when it breaks I just go back in and swap for a new one. If you were to go the online route its a crapshoot and you have long times between shipments, not to mention you may end up buying the same part twice within months.

However, if the price is 1/4 online than in-store, then you could just buy the online part at 1/4 of the price and I honestly don't think that you would be replacing a part FOUR times. Unfortunately for me I haven't been in that situation yet, all my parts were 10-15 cheaper online...

As far as the part source, lets be honest most of these are cheap Chinese rebrands probably from the same factory.

Hope that helps you deceide

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dooter11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dooter11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #19
Mysaturnbeater

When I change the IAC, I'm going to clean the throttle body. I didn't realize there was a gasket. Do I need to change out the gasket?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #20
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

Its a fairly cheap gasket to get from an autoparts store. Your old one may be worn out anyways.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)
Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!