SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Oliverjackson
Oliverjackson is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default '06 3.5 serpentine tensioner pulley removal

So I have been chasing what sounds like a squeaky bearing on my 06 Vue, the sound is originating from around the serpintine belt area and last for about 10 minutes at the beginning of each day . I have changed out the belt with no success and now im going to try the tesioner pulley assembly.in looking at the new one it appears that it is attached to the vehicle by one 10 mm bolt. I removed that bolt from the one on the vehicle but could not get the old one off. The only thing I'm wondering about is there appears to be a shaft running down the center of the old one , and an Allen key will fit in it. Does this have anything to do with removing it ? Or is the old one just sort of stuck to the engine? I have lightly tapped on the old one but for fear of damaging it I decided to seek some advice before proceeding.

2006 Awd Vue
Storm Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oliverjackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oliverjackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oliverjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: '06 3.5 serpentine tensioner pulley removal

Belt tensioner is held on by two bolts. Smaller one off to the side and one through the middle of the main body of the tensioner.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Oliverjackson

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Belt tensioner is held on by two bolts. Smaller one off to the side and one through the middle of the main body of the tensioner.
The one thru the middle is it a hex head ? I could fit my allen wrench in and tried a little bit to loosen it, but it was fairly tight so I gave up for the night

2006 Awd Vue
Storm Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Oliverjackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Oliverjackson

2006 VUE 3.5L

Finally got around to changing the Tensioner pulley, and it is held on with 2 bolts. One being a 10 mm Bolt that can be accessed from below. It helps if you remove the tire and Splash shield. The other bolt is a 6 mm hex head bolt which runs thru the centre of the tensioner. Its a very tight fit and a serpentine belt removal tool is what I used with a hex socket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3660.jpg (211.9 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3663.jpg (217.4 KB, 151 views)

2006 Awd Vue
Storm Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
tlrsaturn
tlrsaturn is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.4L

I know this is an old post but hope you get this. My 06 VUE 4 cylinder has an almost whistling noise at cold start for a few minutes. I suspect the belt, tensioner, or something else driven by belt. Was your noise possibly more of a whistle, and did the tensioner fix your noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tlrsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tlrsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tlrsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrsaturn View Post
I suspect the belt, tensioner, or something else driven by belt. Was your noise possibly more of a whistle, and did the tensioner fix your noise.
Safely, Remove your passenger-side wheel and inner skirt.
Start it up and listen for a whiny tensioner bearing- which will be up close and personal if you have your head in the wheel well or possibly under the hood, prior to removing the R-side wheel.

YOu might try starting a new thread, also, instead of jacking a dead, old one regarding an entirely different motor

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Belt tensioners are a lot like motor mounts in that most of the after market ones are total crap. Its worth the extra money to get OEM (as close to it as you can since GM only produces original OEM quality parts for the first few years after production, then they produce lower quality "OEM" ). In fact I'd prefer an OEM junk yard tensioner to a new aftermarket one.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
philsplace
philsplace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverjackson View Post
Finally got around to changing the Tensioner pulley, and it is held on with 2 bolts. One being a 10 mm Bolt that can be accessed from below. It helps if you remove the tire and Splash shield. The other bolt is a 6 mm hex head bolt which runs thru the centre of the tensioner. Its a very tight fit and a serpentine belt removal tool is what I used with a hex socket.
Thanks for posing this. i had the same issue and could not see the hex bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to philsplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help philsplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
philsplace is offline   Reply With Quote