SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #61
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: just did my timing belt/water pump with PICS!

Spent half a day and broke lots of tools. Pulled every muscle in my body and gave up. I called a mobile mechanic who broke it loose with a 24" extension to the 19mm socket, supported the end of the extension with a jack stand. He attached a monster breaker bar (36"?) Then he added another 36"pipe over the bar and started heaving. Took all his strength but he busted that b***** loose and all was good. The belt, tensioner and idler pulley were like new. The mechanic figured that the items had been replaced before. I did buy it used from Saturn of Escondido with about 88,000 miles on it. Anyways it is all good and runs perfect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burlyvue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #62
INGENIEUR
INGENIEUR is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if this very nice write-up would apply to a Saturn Vue 2005 (FWD, 4Cyl. - Manual Transmission) ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to INGENIEUR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help INGENIEUR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
INGENIEUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #63
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by INGENIEUR View Post
Does anyone know if this very nice write-up would apply to a Saturn Vue 2005 (FWD, 4Cyl. - Manual Transmission) ?
No - this is for the 3.5L Honda V6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #64
xbeatles4x
xbeatles4x is on a distinguished road

well i tried this and did the whole thing. now I went to start the car and had a knocking noise. I instantly turned it off and am now inspecting everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xbeatles4x's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xbeatles4x reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xbeatles4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #65
xbeatles4x

Just to clarify what do the cams align to to verify on my end?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xbeatles4x reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #66
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeatles4x View Post
Just to clarify what do the cams align to to verify on my end?
Did you turn thru at least six times by hand?

Here are thumbnails for crank and cams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.5 Crank Sprocket Align.jpg (114.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 3.5 Cam Timing Marks.jpg (121.2 KB, 95 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #67
xbeatles4x

I did not. i took everything apart and am starting over. I realized somehow the exhaust cam was off by quite a bit.

I removed the timing belt and am now having trouble aligning everything together. I do not want to move anything independently but it is not aligned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #68
xbeatles4x

Quote:
I did not. i took everything apart and am starting over. I realized somehow the exhaust cam was off by quite a bit.

I removed the timing belt and am now having trouble aligning everything together. I do not want to move anything independently but it is not aligned.
It wont let me edit my message so here is the update. I am still having an issue. i am afraid to put a wrench on the exhaust cam and physically move it that much. Intake and crank are perfectly aligned at the moment and the timing belt is off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #69
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
It wont let me edit my message so here is the update. I am still having an issue. i am afraid to put a wrench on the exhaust cam and physically move it that much. Intake and crank are perfectly aligned at the moment and the timing belt is off.
Are we - for sure - discussing a 3.5 engine? If so, the camshaft for left (bank 2) and right (bank 1) operate both the intake and exhaust valves for those three cylinders.

You need to align all timing marks as posted earlier with timing belt removed.

And then follow steps to snug-down belt tensioner, install belt, tighten idler pulley, remove tensioner pin, remove tensioner tool, etc.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #70
xbeatles4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Are we - for sure - discussing a 3.5 engine? If so, the camshaft for left (bank 2) and right (bank 1) operate both the intake and exhaust valves for those three cylinders.

You need to align all timing marks as posted earlier with timing belt removed.

And then follow steps to snug-down belt tensioner, install belt, tighten idler pulley, remove tensioner pin, remove tensioner tool, etc.
I figured it out. All is well now. Yay me no bent valves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #71
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

xbeatles4x wrote "I figured it out. All is well now. Yay me no bent valves. "

OK come clean with us.... What was the issue? After I put mine back together It ran rough. I did not have a coil pack connector on tight enough so one spark plug was not firing. I took it apart again and found the loose connector. reattached and reassembled and it ran great. Still does and now has the new plugs which made another improvement. Next is throttle body cleaning as it runs a bit rough when cold. Also want to check the EVAP container. Not sure where that is but the "Ever Amazing Far Too Grumpy" would know!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burlyvue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #72
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

See following thread for more EVAP information ... including an extract to help locate the canister (in post # 7):

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181001

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #73
POORBOYZ
POORBOYZ is on a distinguished road

For all those that have done this what water pump/timing kit did you use and how has the water pump held up?

My wife and I have a 2006 Vue we bought new and just 2 weeks ago it hit 100k miles and this last week I noticed the sporadic puddle of coolant under the car.

Thanks
Chuck

2006 VUE FWD V6
2001 BMW 330Ci
1996 FORD FUll SIZE Bronco 550WHP
1991 BMW 325i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to POORBOYZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help POORBOYZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
POORBOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #74
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by POORBOYZ View Post
For all those that have done this what water pump/timing kit did you use and how has the water pump held up?

My wife and I have a 2006 Vue we bought new and just 2 weeks ago it hit 100k miles and this last week I noticed the sporadic puddle of coolant under the car.

Thanks
Chuck
I used gates kit TCKWP329 ordered from rockauto... Looking at it today it's half the price it was when i ordered it years ago lol.

Anyways the water pump has held up just fine, I'm at 161557 miles (260000km) and everything's still good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevo420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #75
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by POORBOYZ View Post

Thanks
Chuck
You can't beat this deal. I just installed it on my wife's car. It's the oem brand (the original pump said Aisin on it ). I got the whole lot for what the dealer wanted for the pump.

Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump
http://amzn.com/B008EEYTRE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #76
POORBOYZ

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I just ordered the Aisin Kit since it wasn't that much more than the Gates kit. I'm going to do this next Saturday. This thread helped me out a bunch...now to go look for lower control arms for my E30...lol

Thanks again
Chuck

2006 VUE FWD V6
2001 BMW 330Ci
1991 BMW 325i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help POORBOYZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #77
POORBOYZ

Got my AISIN kit and the 50mm crank tool yesterday. Today I did the timing belt and water pump and it took me 3 hours to do it all. The hardest part for me was keeping the 2 kids out of the way until my wife got home from work to take over baby sitting duties while I finished her car.

I did find out my engine mount was bad and I ordered a new one online so I'll be swapping that out when I get it this coming week.

Although this was my first time doing this I feel it was pretty straight forward. I did one thing different then some of the others on this forum and that is I removed the front bumper so I could use a 4' cheater bar on the crank bolt...took 60 seconds to break that sucker loose.

If anyone has any questions just send me a PM or email using my contact information.

I want to thank the OP and those who I messaged asking questions about this procedure.

Thanks again
Chuck

2006 VUE FWD V6
2001 BMW 330Ci
1991 BMW 325i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #78
BlueHeron
BlueHeron is on a distinguished road

I will be changing the timing belt next week for my girlfriends Vue. Wanted to know how many people replaced the cam seals and crank seal when they did this job. I will definitely replace the water pump, the idler and tensioner, but wasn't sure on the seals. They are not leaking at all currently. Oh, where are the pictures. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueHeron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueHeron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlueHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #79
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

Pics are with post #1: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=1

2001 L-200 2.2l Mileage: 140,000
DOB: 05/08/01 Date Acquired: 07/01/07

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 130,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #80
BlueHeron
BlueHeron is on a distinguished road

Thanks, must have been a computer cliche. They were not there before. Is the Aisin kit only available for the Red Line model? How many people replaced their seals when doing this job? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueHeron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueHeron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlueHeron is offline   Reply With Quote