SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #41
Rockstarvue
Rockstarvue will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: just did my timing belt/water pump with PICS!

thanks far2grumpy. I 've learned a lot from reading your posts on here. I also posted another thread asking about the motor mount in case anyone was searching for the specs, sorry if you happen to see/respond to the double post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rockstarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rockstarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rockstarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #42
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstarvue View Post
thanks far2grumpy. I 've learned a lot from reading your posts on here. I also posted another thread asking about the motor mount in case anyone was searching for the specs, sorry if you happen to see/respond to the double post.
Good luck with the TB - by the way - I did an edit to my original post - you may have missed since you came back so quick.

I'm looking at changing two belts in near future ... I have the kit for one but neither Vue has reached 100K yet. I dread the task one day and look forward to it the next.

I don't spend much time on forum but answer private messages (PM email my phone). Include email address if you need pdf extracts. Don't use visitor message - I forget to check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #43
Rockstarvue
Rockstarvue will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

One last question. got the car all back together, but when I add coolant to the resevoir it just fills up instead of traveling into the engine lines and radiator. I'm used to radiator caps to fill up at. I turned the engine over for a few seconds thinking that it would suck it down but it didn't, so I quickly turned it off... is there a valve or cap to remove to purge air from the cooling system? maybe the car didnt heat up enough for the thermostat to open?

Well.... on the bright side, it started

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rockstarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rockstarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rockstarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #44
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstarvue View Post
One last question. got the car all back together, but when I add coolant to the resevoir it just fills up instead of traveling into the engine lines and radiator. I'm used to radiator caps to fill up at. I turned the engine over for a few seconds thinking that it would suck it down but it didn't, so I quickly turned it off... is there a valve or cap to remove to purge air from the cooling system? maybe the car didnt heat up enough for the thermostat to open?

Well.... on the bright side, it started
Great work there ...

No drain (other that radiator petcock) that I know of ...

They suggest replacing the Dex at 5-year or 100,000 miles.

I've attached an extract if interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.5L Coolant Drain-Fill.pdf (142.0 KB, 96 views)

I don't spend much time on forum but answer private messages (PM email my phone). Include email address if you need pdf extracts. Don't use visitor message - I forget to check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #45
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Just did this myself, probably the smoothest/easiest repair I've done on my Vue. I was terrified about the crank bolt, and I wanted to wait until I had the proper compressor an 3/4" impact gun before trying it (I'm over 125,000 miles and the belt has lots of life left if anyone is concerned).... Using the Honda crank tool and a 25" breaker bar I broke it loose no problem, without even turning the new compressor on.

I live in Canada, so I'm in the rust belt. Maybe I got lucky because I later broke the same beaker bar trying to get a lug nut off which was MUCH tighter.

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #46
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroom View Post
Just did this myself, probably the smoothest/easiest repair I've done on my Vue. I was terrified about the crank bolt, and I wanted to wait until I had the proper compressor an 3/4" impact gun before trying it (I'm over 125,000 miles and the belt has lots of life left if anyone is concerned).... Using the Honda crank tool and a 25" breaker bar I broke it loose no problem, without even turning the new compressor on.

I live in Canada, so I'm in the rust belt. Maybe I got lucky because I later broke the same beaker bar trying to get a lug nut off which was MUCH tighter.
I envy you having all that fun.

I'd stocked all tools and parts - but because my back's been acting up - I decided to hire a professional.

I found a shop within two miles of my house that did job for me. They specialize in Honda and Toyota repair. They use Honda branded parts and provide a 12 month gaurantee on anything related to timing belt or water pump.

I put my sons 2006 in first with 102,500 miles and daughters 2007 with 98,700 was next.

The job included replacing serp belt, all timing belt related parts, water pump and flush and fill with Dex-Cool (only argument I had with them - they wanted to use Honda juice).

Price for each vehicle was $777.47 .. I couldn't be happier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #47
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

$777 is not bad at all for using Honda branded parts. I was quoted at $900.00 without the water pump and without Honda brand parts, so I decided to try it myself.

Another heads up to anyone, GM wanted over $120.00 for the belt alone and I needed to wait 12 days to get it in. Acura had several in stock for $80.00, and the parts guy printed out the pages in the service manual for the Vue. When I told GM that the dealership right next door (literally same building) had the same part in stock for $40.00 less they said "pfft whatever you say"... This is suppose to be the dealership that has trained Saturn technicians and is taking care of me.

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #48
BrianTheK
BrianTheK is on a distinguished road

Thank for this post. I am going to order the parts from either Amazon or Rock Auto. Looks like currently, Rock Auto is a little cheaper on the kit.

I do have a question: To loosen the crank bolt do you use two breaker bars - one on the tool to hold the crank still and one on the bolt? Will a cheap 1/2 inch impact wrench probably not loosen it?

Thanks,
Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrianTheK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrianTheK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrianTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
jcob2
jcob2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTheK View Post
Thank for this post. I am going to order the parts from either Amazon or Rock Auto. Looks like currently, Rock Auto is a little cheaper on the kit.

I do have a question: To loosen the crank bolt do you use two breaker bars - one on the tool to hold the crank still and one on the bolt? Will a cheap 1/2 inch impact wrench probably not loosen it?

Thanks,
Brian
An impact wrench will not loosen it. I just tried that today. Put the special tool on the balancer to keep the crank from rotating and then put on my 1/2" drive impact with a beefy 19mm impact socket. The bolt did not budge. With all my might and a 17" breaker bar I could not budge it either. I then put another piece of pipe onto the end of the breaker bar (cheater pipe) and with about 24" or total leverage the bolt finally came loose. You really need the persistant pressure of a breaker bar as opposed to the impact action to get the bolt loose. It's all about leverage... get a long bar or use a cheater (and be careful doing so). If something snaps using the cheater bar approach you could hurt yourself so be very aware of body positioning and such... anticipate the bar snapping and make sure if there was a sudden give-away that you would not slam your hand into something sharp on the vehicle frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcob2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcob2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #50
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

What is your impact wrench rated for? It's its a small one or one of those silly electric ones its not a surprise. The dealer uses a 3/4 impact rated at about 1000lbs. I'm typically about to get them off other engines with my 700ft/lb 1/2" but I've not tried it in the Honda 3.5L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #51
BrianTheK
BrianTheK is on a distinguished road

You are correct joc2, an impact wrench did not loosen it. I had a wrench rated for 700 ft-lbs. I borrowed a 3/4 inch drive handle and put a four foot cheater pipe on the end of that. Another bar holding the tool in the crank pully was resting against the front motor mount. That's how I got it loose. Other than the bolt the rest of the job was straighforward thanks to this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrianTheK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrianTheK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrianTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #52
brisendines
brisendines is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Mad Re: just did my timing belt/water pump with PICS!

So I just did this on my wife's car, but when I went to put the new belt on, the rear camshaft pulley was off. I used a ratchet on the pulley bolt to turn it back to where it was supposed to be, but it snapped over the top and went on the other side- I reversed my ratchet and tried again, only to have it flop back onto the side it started on. I switched to my breaker bar and got it lined up and got the belt put on, but when I turn the crank, I can go about 30 before I meet resistance. I didn't push it hard, and I didn't take the spark plugs out, so it might be compression, but I'm EXTREMELY nervous about screwing up a valve/piston.

Anyone else had this problem? I found one other guy's experience, but it won't let me post up a link. The thread is called "Timing Belt replacement disaster 04 vue"

The car is currently inoperable (obviously) and she needs to get to work in the morning, so a quick reply would be extremely appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brisendines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brisendines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brisendines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #53
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisendines View Post
So I just did this on my wife's car, but when I went to put the new belt on, the rear camshaft pulley was off.
Some reference to some pins to lock the Cams (?) . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #54
brisendines

2002 SC1

I don't really understand what that means.. I haven't ever heard of doing this, and it didn't really make sense to me when I read it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brisendines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #55
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisendines View Post
I don't really understand what that means.. I haven't ever heard of doing this, and it didn't really make sense to me when I read it.
PM an email address if you'd like to see service manual extracts to properly align the crank and camshaft timing marks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #56
brisendines

2002 SC1

Well, I took everything back apart, re-checked the timing marks, and put it back together. Didn't think I was going to get the pin out of the tensioner after I re-set it, had to use vice grips. It went easy the first time!
Anyhow, I was using my ratchet instead of my breaker bar like I had been doing, so it felt much harder. I switched to the breaker bar so I could feel it better with the longer handle and it seemed "spongy" so I kept pulling on it and it finally went over the compression stroke and was fine. That motor must have great seals on the piston rings, because the compression didn't even leak out while I was pulling on the breaker bar. Went the 6 full rotations per my Haynes, and it was good, so I'm bolting back up. Sorry for the panic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #57
bjcart
bjcart is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Just finished my timing belt replacement last night. Thanks for the torque specs. After 137K the old belt looked like it was in good shape (I know looks aren't everything) and I had zero play or noise in any bearings. Hopefully this Gates kit holds up like the OEM parts. I won't know, though, because the Vue is getting sold this weekend. The shops that are charging a grand for this job are making a killing.

'99 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bjcart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bjcart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bjcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #58
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Dizzy Re: just did my timing belt/water pump with PICS!

THAT DANG BOLT!!!

Making me mental!

Does that crank bolt come off "lefty loosy" or does it have reverse threads? I have just broken 2 extensions while heaving on that bolt. Seriously tight. Did you use any wd 40 or any penetrant spray?

Thanks for quick help.

thanks for help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burlyvue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #59
Cavell
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

Does 03 odyssey 3.5 have same belt setup? Dad had belt done and motor seemed "off"? Took it back to shop and they said they had messed up. ??? 1 tooth off perhaps?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #60
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlyvue2 View Post
THAT DANG BOLT!!!

Making me mental!

Does that crank bolt come off "lefty loosy" or does it have reverse threads? I have just broken 2 extensions while heaving on that bolt. Seriously tight. Did you use any wd 40 or any penetrant spray?

Thanks for quick help.

thanks for help.

Turn left (or try).

Breaker bars are good to have in the armory but nothing compares with a 3/4 inch impact wrench.

Some say impact will damage crank bearing but I'm thinking if you have the crank immobilizing wrench (socket) you'll be good to go.

I need to say I've not changed a 3.5 belt but do have many Subaru 2.5 timing belt changes in my past.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!