SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
john_lu
john_lu is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Question This may be an another reverse "slam" cure

When I shift the lever from D to R and the reverse "slam" often happened on my Saturn SL1 1997. I drove my SL1 the day before yesterday and found, if the shift lever from D to N just at N position wait 2~3 seconds hearing the sounds like solenoids then shift the lever to R position, and no reverse "slam" happen. I try this many times and the reverse "slam" really dont happen again! This may be an another reverse "slam" cure.
Can I ask a question about how to remove the front door outer panel of SL1 1997? because some crazy noise comes from the front door passenger side when driving on the road , The front door interior panel I have changed but the noise still comes from the front door passenger side. So remove the front door outer panel may find the reason noise comes from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john_lu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john_lu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Mario
Mario is on a distinguished road

This is the workaround I managed to use for 18 months, until my wife got a job that used Valet parking. Hearing the slam everytime he parked the car was unbearable... so I had the upper valve body replaced at the dealer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2004, 12:20 AM   #3
Lucas1
Advanced Member
Lucas1 is on a distinguished road

im skeptical of any "cure" for the reverse slam since the condition is usually caused by a weak pressure releif spring in the valve body. last time i checked, springs dont all of the sudden get stronger. they get weaker with time. the cause of the problem has very little to do with the actual reverse gear or reverse part of the valve body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucas1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucas1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Here are the service manual instructions.

Be careful of the front two panel hold on bolts they seem to be the tightest and tend to break the door panel. If they seem to not want to release try carefully applying some heat to the bolt heads to release the thread locker.

Outer Panel - Front Door Sedan/Wagon
Removal Procedure

Remove the mirror trim panel. Gently pull the panel outward to disengage.
Mirror trim panel.
Mirror insulator (right side shown, left typical).
On the driver's side, loosen the set screw and disconnect the cable from the trim panel.
Remove the trim panel.
Remove the foam filler from the mirror reinforcement area.
On the passenger side power mirror, disconnect the harness connector.

Remove the nuts from the mirror assembly and remove the mirror and seal.

Remove the retaining screw and the rear of the outer seal strip.
Disengage the outer seal strip by pulling up at the rear end and lifting. Use of a putty knife with a blade covered with tape may be needed to gently pry the sealing strip from the flange. Remove the seal.

Pry the center part of the plastic retainer of the outer handle out. Pull the retainer out of the handle.

Slide the handle off of the pivot assembly and remove the handle.

Remove the door panel screws and remove the door panel.

If replacing the panel:
Remove the door lock cylinder bezel.
Remove the U-nuts.
Installation Procedure
If replacing the panel:
Install the U-nuts.
Install the door lock cylinder bezel.

Install the outer door panel alignment pins into the net hole and slot in the outer belt reinforcement (door structure).

Install the fasteners and tighten in the designated sequence. Tighten
Tighten the outer door panel fasteners to 6 Nm (53 lb in).

Install the door handle by lifting the pivot assembly and sliding the handle on the pivot.

Install the plastic retainer.

Install the outer sealing strip by aligning the location tab at the rear of the sealing strip with the slot in the door panel. Working from the rear forward, push the seal strip down onto the flange until fully seated. Install the retaining screw.

Check the seal on the mirror assembly for proper location.

Install the mirror assembly to the door. Install the nuts and tighten. Tighten
Tighten the outside rear view mirror nuts to 10 Nm (89 lb in).

If equipped with a passenger side power mirror, connect the harness connector and install the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
Install the foam filler in the mirror patch area.
On the driver's side, install the mirror cable into the trim panel and tighten the set screw.
Mirror trim panel.
Mirror insulator (right side shown, left typical). Tighten
Tighten the power mirror motor screws to 3 Nm (27 lb in).

Install the trim panel to the door frame. Push to seat.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:09 AM   #5
jasonpopnc
jasonpopnc is on a distinguished road

What's This??^

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasonpopnc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasonpopnc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread