SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 01-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #1
Jim@HiTek
Jim@HiTek has a spectacular aura aboutJim@HiTek has a spectacular aura aboutJim@HiTek has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 SL1
Default '03 L200 Bong question.

'03 Saturn L200, Sedan, 2.2L, 66,000 miles. I bought this just a week ago or so and I just noticed something it hadn't been doing before. I get in the car, turn it on to start, than I grab my seat belt and attach it and it's bonging while I'm doing that. Than it stops. Around 4 seconds later, it starts bonging again...four bongs, than stops.

I've noticed the oil can light stays on for a minute or two of driving but eventually goes out. When I was first driving the car, this double bonging wasn't happening but the oil can light was so not sure they're related.

Does anyone know what that second series of bongs is about?

Thanks!
2003 Saturn L200
DOHC, 2.2L
Luxury Transport
66,000 miles Jan. '21

2001 Saturn SL1
SOHC, 1.9L
Basic Transport
78,000 miles Jan. '21
Jim@HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: '03 L200 Bong question.

'Dats your oil change light (yellow). No it's not a bong. It's reminding you to change oil and filter. Your owner's manual describes it. The algorithm takes into account number of engine cycles, mileage, temperature, long/short driving, height, weight, male/female, religion, the position of the stars, etc to determine when to bong you at the most inconvenient time. The indicator goes away after a minute or two of driving instead of driving you nuts. Mine just turned on yesterday after I got out of my garage when I snapped the image of my vacuum line setup. It too is reminding the idiot (me) to find the time for oil and filter replacement.

The reminder will continue until you change oil and filter or reset the sophisticated oil change program by; turning on ignition, open the hood, remove the fuse cover and locate the red oil button (rectangular shape), depress it for around 20-30 seconds until the oil light reminder turns off. This resets it to begin another accumulation of data for the next cycle. It works as it can stretch oil changes (conservatively) on long drives or reduce the interval with city driving in stop and go traffic. Mine has varied from as little as 5k to as much as 7k miles between reminders.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #3
Jim@HiTek
Jim@HiTek has a spectacular aura aboutJim@HiTek has a spectacular aura aboutJim@HiTek has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 SL1

HAH! Thanks for that. Almost wet my pants a little. Nice chuckle though.

Okay, I'll check my oil. As I've heard it said, Saturn owners drive past the gas station but fill the oil pan. Or something.

My '01 SL1 was for the longest time an oil sipper. I bought it with 60,000 on it and when it got up around 65,000 then it started asking for more oil. So not a surprise that my new2me '03 L200 needs oil after a 400 mile trip.

FYI, I found that if I didn't mess with the AUTO comfort controls, just left them alone, that it was pretty comfortable driving for an hour today. But since I have full on sunshine and a 59 F air temp, I did need to crack a couple windows once in a while.

And I discovered that I have satellite radio. Dunno if they still charge for that or if it's free these days but it's working right ATM. It's been at a dealers since early September so perhaps the original owner just hasn't bothered to shut it off yet?

Holey Freeholey, they want $13 per month for SiriusXM. And that's the least expensive plan. No thanks. They can turn it off at any time and I won't care.
2003 Saturn L200
DOHC, 2.2L
Luxury Transport
66,000 miles Jan. '21

2001 Saturn SL1
SOHC, 1.9L
Basic Transport
78,000 miles Jan. '21

Last edited by Jim@HiTek; 01-14-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mistakes that don't hurt anyone and shared for a good laugh while pointing out how not to do things are life's little pleasures.

Remember, the yellow oil can dripping oil is not a low oil light. Checking oil level has always been a manual chore unless you can afford a high end vehicle with its own 'Sir or Madam, at your convenience, please schedule service at your nearest expensive dealer for an oil change and oil filter' message. There are cars with this feature but maybe not any actual message, just the indicator. Idiot lights are idiot lights whether in a Lamborghini or Saturn.

My limited knowledge doesn't recall factory satellite radio for the L-series so you may have an aftermarket radio and free service until the previous owner gets the bill..... I know someone buying a lifetime subscription to XM radio but he had to notify the service to transfer from his car to portable(?) after he was sideswiped at a light, destroying his Corvette. I don't know the specifics of whether or not a subscription allows more than one radio. Factory Advanced Audio system for the L-series was; cassette tape, CD, 18 presets, a gazillion speakers but only one bass under the rear shelf, a separate amp and equalizer controls in the radio in what's considered a double din slot. I have it in mine and occasionally play some pirate CDs (in wav format only) loud for some songs. No satellite. The only option was adding OnStar so the radio can mute music and take calls instead of using a personal phone. No OnStar in my car.
VCX NANO
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #5
Jim@HiTek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 SL1

I think that the Sirius company is fully aware of when the car sells, they'll leave it on for a couple weeks then shut it off, like a sales gimmick. Most likely. That's what my memory on the Sirius program is reminding me of but I've been wrong before. Haven't messed with Sirius for a couple years and that was only because my brother pays for it and I was borrowing his car for a while.

It's also possible that the PO has just not shut it off yet.

Anyway, I checked my oil and boy, it's soooooo clean. Golden color. So I did the procedure to shut off the warning, it's printed right on top of the fuse box...very handy. Then I changed the cabin air filter, really grungy, for a brand new one I just got today from Rock Auto.
2003 Saturn L200
DOHC, 2.2L
Luxury Transport
66,000 miles Jan. '21

2001 Saturn SL1
SOHC, 1.9L
Basic Transport
78,000 miles Jan. '21
Old 01-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

AFAIK Sirius radio didn't come with Saturn that was ON-Star. Unless the previous owner changed the radio system On-Star was the only other option for Saturn from Factory.

Last edited by Russet; 01-16-2021 at 04:39 PM. Reason: revise
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #7
Jim@HiTek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
AFAIK Sirius radio didn't come with Saturn that was ON-Star. Unless the previous owner changed the radio system On-Star was the only other option for Saturn from Factory.
PO may have changed it and the system seems to be after market to me. Alpine SiriousXM label on the faceplate, Din 1 instead of Din 2 radio, and there is a Sirius antenna on the roof. Finally, all the preset station buttons are set for Sirius channels when that source is selected. And there are several 'old people' presets, '40's music, '50's music, classical, plus a couple news channels.

Radio might have been a dealer option because the install looks professional. Though it could have been done by a radio installation shop too.

I'll take it, until the PO stops paying for it, if ever.
2003 Saturn L200
DOHC, 2.2L
Luxury Transport
66,000 miles Jan. '21

2001 Saturn SL1
SOHC, 1.9L
Basic Transport
78,000 miles Jan. '21
Old 01-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #8
Jim@HiTek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 SL1

Just discovered a new bong! This is interesting. I used the key to unlock the door and sat in the drivers seat to a repeating bong and buzz style warning. There's a little key and lock idiot light flashing on the display.

WTH is this?, my brain was asking. And then it started beeping. Aww, the anti-theft circuit detected I'd used a key instead of the fob to unlock the door. Interesting. Of course a thief, gotten this far, would have popped the hood and cut the wires to the horns so it's really a wasted effort by Saturn. Especially since no one even looks up when someone's horn is beeping any more.

I pressed 'unlock' and that stopped the beeping. Something I have to do now, always keep the fob and key together. Don't wanna, but I'll do it. I was hoping I could just remove the fob from my key ring as it's so fat as it is and leave it behind, but now I found I can't. Dammit.
2003 Saturn L200
DOHC, 2.2L
Luxury Transport
66,000 miles Jan. '21

2001 Saturn SL1
SOHC, 1.9L
Basic Transport
78,000 miles Jan. '21
Old 01-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Do you have the owner's manual or not? There are many things covering GMs Passlock anti theft system with or without factory remotes (not given to the next owner, damaged, not replaced). If you used your remote to Lock/arm factory security forget to use your remote to Unlock/disarm Passlock security, open the door manually and within 10-15 seconds, get in and insert the ignition key and turn on ignition to disarm security. If you're slow and unlock with security triggered (horns/lights flashing), I think you can still insert the ignition key and turn on ignition to disarm it. If remotes are dead/missing, simply open the driver's side door, get in and turn on ignition before 10-15 seconds elapse.

If security triggered (break-in attempt but unsuccessful theft other than removing personal stuff of value and/or yanking the radio, security will flash quickly to inform you of s theft attempt. Sometimes security triggers for unknown reasons and you see security flashing. This means GMs Passlock disabled part of the EFI system. EFI systems have made amost every vehicle manufacturer to program anti theft systems without owners adding aftermarket bells and whistles by using electronics already in or EFI systems. For the L-series, disabling injector operation is easy with simple programming. Flashing security means injectors are disabled; toy can crank the engine all day until the battery dies or the starter burns out but without injector operation, the will never fire up. Spark occurs but zero fuel injection operation. When triggered and flashing, you're forced to leave ignition ON for 10 minutes or until the security light stops flashing and stays on. Turn off igntion so the system resets then restart as injectors are enabled. This is destined described as 'tamper' mode with a mandatory 10 minute ignition ON cycle before turning ignition off too reset Passlock. Guess how I know? Service manuals explain it.

You can leave the remote home if you choose to but you'll have to setup Passlock. Use the remote to Unlock then either throw in into the glove box or hide it under a seat or in the trunk in car you need it or decide to use it again. Once Passlock is disarmed (never disabled completely), use either the driver's master door lock/unlock buttons and/or use the ignition key to Unlock/Lock the driver's door only. The master Unlock/Lock on the driver's door is easier to control all door locks. Passlock will remain off (no blinking in security mode). Unless you're in a part of the country where thieves are still interested in Saturns, you may like not using the remote. Factory remotes are not required if you don't want to use it. Disarming security semi permanently simply means any low level thief can break in without triggering the alarm system (part of Passlock security). Leaving it in the glove box or trunk lets you have it if necessary.
VCX NANO
Old 01-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #10
Jim@HiTek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 SL1

YES, I have the users guide. Many many pages. I'll get to the security features eventually.

Thanks for the info, might not need to read it now. Have it here to refer to.
2003 Saturn L200
DOHC, 2.2L
Luxury Transport
66,000 miles Jan. '21

2001 Saturn SL1
SOHC, 1.9L
Basic Transport
78,000 miles Jan. '21
Old 01-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Please don't accept whatever I post as factual until verified with your owner's manual or if a member corrects anything I post as incorrect. I'm neither an authority nor expert on Saturns. Just another Saturn owner with 40lbs(?) of GM service manuals to refer to and some stumbling as I learned about EFI and GMs security system.
VCX NANO