SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 01-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Ion_bass
Ion_bass is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Ignition switch problem

This doesn't happen to my car all the time but every so often I'll get in the car put the can and turn but the car won't start. Not like won't turn over but it won't do anything I'll have power and everything but it doesn't start and after a moment when I leave the car alone and I come back attorney key in the car start does anybody have any idea what that is or have experienced this problem before.
Ion_bass is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Ignition switch problem

I see you're having similar problems with word substitution. If I'm interpreting your sentences correctly and you're having occasional no start/zero noises when turning the ignition key to START then it may be one of several issues. First may be about the ignition switch and a recall campaign to replace it. Other issues may be battery, battery cables and their connections to starter (positive) and two grounds (chassis and engine block). Last may be the alternator and drive belt.

Was the ignition switch replaced? As you may or may not know, Ions are Saturns first models using electronic starting. Conventional ignition switches sent 12v to the starter solenoid to begin starter operation to turn over the engine. Electronic starting doesn't send 12v to the starter. The ecm supplies 5v to the ignition switch, sends a 5v start signal to the ecm and it sends a 12v start signal to a separate start relay. The start relay closes a set of contacts sending 12v to the starter solenoid to begin starter operation. Electronic starting coupled with GMs Passlock anti theft system. The original ign switches were too greasy, separating the small electrical contact arms from the carbon circuit lines, inadvertently opening circuits. Passlock detected a theft attempt and immediately disables starting altogether - silence when turning the key to START. Security should be flashing during this erroneous theft detection. Earlier members discovered this before the recall campaign and their solution was disassembling the ign switch and removing some of the grease. In cold weather, grease would stiffen and separate the small electrical arms from the carbon circuit lines, disrupting signal flow to the ecm. Electronic starting in Ions is the same as other vehicles having the red Push To START button. Electronic starting circuits. Bulky ignition switches and wiring replaced with smaller switches and smaller gauge wiring. Sometimes the flashing security light doesn't turn on but silence when turning the key to START indicates problems with electronic starting with Passlock adding to it.

If electronic starting isn't the problem, examining main power and connections might help. If your battery is suspect, either try recharging at home or have it tested from your favorite auto store selling car batteries. They should have free battery testing in our out of a vehicle. Be sure main battery connections are clean, secure and free of corrosion. Battery standby voltage should be 12.5v. Engine idling with alternator output should be around 14.5v.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote