saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 12:24 AM   #1
ym42
Advanced Member
ym42 is on a distinguished road

Default Emissions

Today I went to do emission and safety test. This was the first time I had to do this since before this car was in another part of NY state where they do not require to do the emissions at all. Anyway, that was quite interesting. My car uses a lot of oil, and with 150000 miles I was very sceptical if it was going to pass. I was driving on 15-50 Mobil 1 oil and it has been about 2000 since the oil change, I did not do anything like cleaning EGR valve or anything else.
Well, I was there all the time as the mechanic was running the test. First of all it seemed very tricky the way it was performed. I would not trust anything that looks like that and I wonder how many motorists have been robbed out of their money. I was very lucky, the guy was nice to me as we happened to share some cultural similarities, so the first time the car failed the test, but the guy said he will try again, and second time it passed. I watched him as he was adjusting the speed very carefully looking at the monitor of the computer that was running some graph, trying to fit the level into the norm between two graph lines, to keep in on the green level. It was it was very, very tricky, and few times the level went almost to yellow and red. Anyway, he said that he did me a favor as he could have failed me the first time and that if he wanted he could have failed even 2001 Saturn, never mind old 93' SL...
My results are

HC CO NOx
Limit 0.9 15 2
My SL 0.5 3.15 0.46

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2002, 03:52 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Actually looking at your posted results, you are running a little richa and your EGR function is lacking somewhat. Probably just replacing the ECTS and claening the EGR valve would clean it right up. About $20 TOTAL. You may want to consider changing the ECTS anyway, as it will improve your cold weather starting/performance and fuel economy.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 11-24-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
ym42
Advanced Member

Wolfman, thank you very much for your suggestion, but can you explain why do you think so. It seems that the only one thing that is little disturbing is HC, but I attributed this to my oil burning as oil must contain HC that are havier and more difficult to burn for the cat... How do you know about running rich and it seems that NOx is well within the limit. I saw some other people's postings and they are even worse than mine, or different. I am glad that my car works though, as I was afraid it might be plain dead

PS: I even used 87 grade gas, no cleaning additives etc...
Old 11-24-2002, 12:27 PM   #4
ym42
Advanced Member

Wolfman, thank you very much for your suggestion, but can you explain why do you think so. It seems that the only one thing that is little disturbing is HC, but I attributed this to my oil burning as oil must contain HC that are havier and more difficult to burn for the cat... How do you know about running rich and it seems that NOx is well within the limit. I saw some other people's postings and they are even worse than mine, or different. I am glad that my car works though, as I was afraid it might be plain dead

PS: I even used 87 grade gas, no cleaning additives etc...
Old 11-24-2002, 02:03 PM   #5
SLeepr
Master Member
SLeepr is on a distinguished road

Wolfman, what's the best way to clean your EGR valve?
Closed Thread