SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 03-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #21
LolaAnnGram
LolaAnnGram is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Pot Hole can actually ruin a Saturn Vue Engine. Who knew?

Finally figured out how to attach video of engine pre-machine shophttps://youtu.be/oLSc0sJbHpQ
LolaAnnGram is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2021, 12:59 AM   #22
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Great - there's a video available. You've set it up as a Private Video which requires permission to see it. How is permission granted?
346K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. I fear that I will be correct. I'd rather be wrong.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:46 AM   #23
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is a jewel in the roughTobacconist is a jewel in the roughTobacconist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaAnnGram View Post
They ASSUMED the timing belt broke but it intact. No compression discovered after neighbor replaced timing tensioner that also hit edge of pothole.
It is simply not possible for the timing belt tensioner to have hit the pot hole.

You can see its location below.

https://www.motor.com/wp-content/uploads/TS-1.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-A...-/300520084993

Quote:
It wasn't til I had car towed back home when another neighbor guy actually listened to what happened with pothole and actually the only person who lifted car and found strips of serpentine belt caught in lower gear attached to engine that timing gear worked with
This could only happen if someone was in there previously and didn't reinstall the lower timing belt cover.

https://www.jdmwestcoast.com/media/c.../2/_/2_4_6.jpg
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:58 AM   #24
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is a jewel in the roughTobacconist is a jewel in the roughTobacconist is a jewel in the rough

This video shows all of the major components and I think you will see how this issue could not have been cause by the pot hole impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT-ZMNhOT-M&t=1219s

Sounds like the mechanic who previously changed the timing belt didn't re-install the lower cover. When you hit the pot hole hard, the serpentine belt broke free and jammed itself in between the timing gear and the belt which caused the engine to jump time and piston to valve contact.

Can you confirm if the lower timing belt cover is missing?
Old 03-05-2021, 01:38 AM   #25
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^Your idea about a missing lower timing cover would be probable except for the fact that the oil pump is integral to the lower cover. So if there's no cover present then there's no oil pump either. Since the OP was actually able to drive the vehicle then the cover was definitely installed. Perhaps what was thought to be part of the serpentine belt was actually a damaged portion of the timing belt. Perhaps insufficient tension on the timing belt allowed it to jump teeth on the gears, lose timing, cause the belt to move partially off of those gears and wear off an edge of the belt. (Yes, it's supposition. It would be nice to see the old serpentine and timing belts to get a better idea of what happened here.)
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. I fear that I will be correct. I'd rather be wrong.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:47 AM   #26
Tobacconist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]^Your idea about a missing lower timing cover would be probable except for the fact that the oil pump is integral to the lower cover. So if there's no cover present then there's no oil pump either. Since the OP was actually able to drive the vehicle then the cover was definitely installed.
This is 100% wrong.

The plastic timing belt cover is NOT an integral part of the oil pump and yes you can certainly still drive the car without a timing belt cover- though it is not a good idea.

It sounds like you have all the parts mixed up. The oil pump housing is BEHIND the timing belt.

The timing belt cover is the black plastic as shown below. It is in 3 parts.

Last edited by Tobacconist; 03-05-2021 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #27
LolaAnnGram

2006 VUE 3.5L

Awe I now understand what you're saying..in other words if the proper covers installed (or installed properly), it would have been impossible for serpentine belt to get caught in lower gear...when I made the very, very bad decision to drive it to that first mechanic, I could see the serpentine belt INTACT however a rip along the edge closest to engine that was about 3-5" long....so how the hell DID it get caught in gear? I suspect the mechanic trying to get compression after he initially told me it was timing belt break (which he discovered a perfectly intact fairly new timing belt intact)...the car was returned to me with the 3 plastic covers inside vehicle (which stained my front seat with oil as he put them there - speaks volumes about level of care)....They tried to take easy way and quoted a new old engine .. So if what you're saying is correct, how much would one bet they ignored the rip and tried to start engine once battery recharged AFTER they removed the plastic covers...wow...I can't believe how much I'm learning about cars from you all. TYTYTY It ain't easy being a dumb blonde woman

Picking up car tomorrow as he replaced brake rotors/brakes & flushing transmission....
Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #28
LolaAnnGram

2006 VUE 3.5L

Here is video of my 2006 Saturn 3.5L V6 engine after the REAL mechanic dug deep....I figured how to make it public. Wish I would have taken video before I took to the first/closest mechanic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfEMm86YA6Y
Old 03-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #29
Tobacconist

Was your timing belt ever replaced?
Old 03-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #30
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobacconist View Post
This is 100% wrong.

The plastic timing belt cover is NOT an integral part of the oil pump and yes you can certainly still drive the car without a timing belt cover- though it is not a good idea.

It sounds like you have all the parts mixed up. The oil pump housing is BEHIND the timing belt.
I was wrongly considering the oil pump assembly as part of the timing belt cover. Thank you for correcting me. I should've taken a closer look at my Acura manual.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #31
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Picking up car tomorrow as he replaced brake rotors/brakes & flushing transmission....
So the VUE is now up and running, eh? That's great news!!
Old 03-08-2021, 05:12 PM   #32
LolaAnnGram

2006 VUE 3.5L

Confirming the timing belt was intact & fairly new when pothole hit. Timing belt intact when returned from that first "mechanic". With pistons/cylinder repair, he put a new timing belt while in there. He also replaced water pump & all gaskets & bolts. He drained oil & replaced filter/oil.

It is INDEED running and he had me come by to drive it around - perfectly running like it did before - even better actually! I wish I would of gotten video of it while there...

One concern: The engine ran great...I noticed though when I started the car, an engine light came on that I never saw before - it remained lit just for a second...then went out...it was the wrench with some other icon (in same warning) that appears on far right lower dash console to right of speedometer. It didn't stay lit but I had NEVER seen that light up ever before. When I returned from driving around about 2 miles, when I turned off engine, I noticed a pronounced burning oil smell....the gauge didn't show oil pressure out of wack...it remained in middle where it always is (and suppose to be)..I was so grateful/amazed he repaired engine, I didn't bring it up because I trust him - he comes HIGHLY recommended by my doctor - the mechanic works on my doctors Hummer, porsche & 2 seat cadillac convertible along with his lawyer daughter's car....

I don't have the car back yet as he insisted on replacing rotors/brakes before returning to me..Brakes were much worse than I remember (he said probably due to sitting for months) & he's flushing transmission. I also wanted struts/bushings in front replaced but $1,300.00 is just too much right now....it sucks cuz I had the REAR sway bar, struts & bushings completed (@ $1,400.00) and made ALL THE DIFF in the world...now that I've been driving this 2003 Honda Element, I see how bad front struts on Saturn...

The whole mystery about these 3 plastic covers & what REALLY happened when I hit that pothole has me perplexed about whether that first "mechanic" destroyed engine...I DID drive it there and it DID die with only battery light appearing initially about 1/4 blk from mechanic but this made sense to me cuz car sat for 8 days before I grew impatient & drove it to mechanic...I'm wondering if compression/engine was intact til these yahoos messed with it...I'm ashamed to say it was 90% tire shop 10% mechanic & down here in FLA its very hard to find a mechanic to trust...It will bother me about what truly happened now that I understand the 3 plastic covers....
Old 03-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #33
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Nice color, that factory?

Potholes in Florida?
Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:38 AM   #34
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

"I noticed though when I started the car, an engine light came on that I never saw before - it remained lit just for a second...then went out...it was the wrench with some other icon (in same warning) that appears on far right lower dash console to right of speedometer"

That is the oil change light. It comes on for a few seconds, then goes out. If it stays on, it is time to change the oil.
"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #35
LolaAnnGram

2006 VUE 3.5L

I love the color too....it was repainted by the one prev owner. He repainted due to cracked paint on bumpers...Pot holes in Fort Lauderdale you ask? OMG Drive down Broward Blvd or Davie Rd to get downtown and your suspension will be ruined in matter of months (I'm exaggerating but not really)...Now when one is on vacation staying beachside or if one is wealthy, they're super smooth - we could ice skate on those roads! Keep in mind the rain rain rain water water water has NO place to go as we have blacktopped entire south florida area.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #36
LolaAnnGram

2006 VUE 3.5L

Guy only charged total of $2,400.00 - Included all Honda parts (timing belt, water pump, machine shop of $625.00, pistons, bolts, gaskets, etc). Others quoted anywhere from $5,000 to $7,000 & all wanted to get junk yard engines. I knew engine well maintained pre disaster....what concerns me is the investigative skills of you all in learning there is NO WAY the serpentine belt caught in gear with cover on....that cover was on until going to that 1st mechanic.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:28 PM   #37
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
I love the color too....it was repainted by the one prev owner. He repainted due to cracked paint on bumpers...Pot holes in Fort Lauderdale you ask? OMG Drive down Broward Blvd or Davie Rd to get downtown and your suspension will be ruined in matter of months (I'm exaggerating but not really)...Now when one is on vacation staying beachside or if one is wealthy, they're super smooth - we could ice skate on those roads! Keep in mind the rain rain rain water water water has NO place to go as we have blacktopped entire south florida area.
That doesn't look like the factory blue, it looks too green unless the camera is bringing the green out. Looks like a deep teal!

I spent a summer in Hallendale (off 858) years ago (not the same as it was in the '70-'s-80's), though our roads up here turn to washboards every winter with the constant freeze & chemistry thaw.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #38
LolaAnnGram

2006 VUE 3.5L

Indeed a Miami Dolphin Teal.... Why are Dolphin colors Teal & Orange? (ocean & oranges) Iowa Hawkeyes colors Black & Gold? (soil & corn) Hallandale is one of those nice little sleepy towns that hasn't changed much (thank God) but has changed alot since you've been down Im sure. Theres still a few little gems remaining like hallandale & pompano beach. did you go to nude beach? that's still there I think. Times have indeed changed since 70's & 80's. It was great when everyone's grandparents lived here...now? its ridiculous....Im included in that ridiculousness from being a transplant in 80s.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #39
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I thought the orange was the sun, I never got the red & grey up here on planet Ohth, perhaps filthy snow, & the fact you want to slit your wrists when you eventually get sick of seeing it! I thought the dolphins teal was lighter, or at least it used to be, but that deep teal is nicer, surprised that color never caught on.

I was last down in 2003, (my last vacation was in 2004), & no nude beach.

Hmmm, my grandparents never lived there, now I feel cheated! Gods waiting room as it used to be referred to I think uopu mean, now a haven for the young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7Mayberry View Post
"I noticed though when I started the car, an engine light came on that I never saw before - it remained lit just for a second...then went out...it was the wrench with some other icon (in same warning) that appears on far right lower dash console to right of speedometer"

That is the oil change light. It comes on for a few seconds, then goes out. If it stays on, it is time to change the oil.
I thought it stays on for a few minutes or so every time you turn on the ignition.