SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY
Default Saturn's woeful website

This has been a source of frustration for quite some time for me and, from what I read, many others. I've contacted Saturn about it several times and nothing seems to change. Here are my questions and complaints about Saturn's website and how I think it runs counter to Saturn's overall marketing effort.

First, why is the layout so small? I launch it on my browser and it only uses about a third of the available space. Many of the links are in a tiny grey font that is hard to read and accurately click.

The photos for each model are pathetic. Again, they are too small with no option to enlarge them (only download as wallpaper) and woefully inadequate in visually providing helpful information about the vehicles. For example, every exterior picture of the Sky or 5-door Astra is of a silver model. There is not one single overall photo of the Aura's interior yet there is one zoomed way in on the shifter handle. There are likely hundreds of photos of any one of Saturn's new models yet they can only provide a handful of random images?

The colors sections for each model show only a swatch or portion of a seat for interior colors giving you no clear idea of how the entire interior will look in the various schemes. The exterior color 360 would be nice if it wasn't so tiny.

There are too many inaccuracies. Click on the Aura Green Line link and then select "Comfort" on the image and you will see an image of the morocco brown interior trim which is only available on the XR model. Click on the AM/FM 6CD link under Build Your Own for the Vue and an image of the 2007 model center stack appears. The last exterior pic in the Vue photo gallery shows wheels that are not even available. The inventory search, as many of us has found out, is rarely in sync with actual retailer inventory, and unlike other GM sites, you can't view the window sticker for a vehicle.

Saturn, which markets itself as being so customer driven, needs a much better website. It does not adequately showcase the incredible new vehicles. Jill needs to seriously address this shortcoming of her brand. She needs to take a look at VW's or Lincoln's websites (especially the colors and Build Your Own sections and 360s) and then overhaul Saturn's ASAP.

www.vw.com
www.lincoln.com

Last edited by skydrive; 04-23-2008 at 01:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
zallen777
Advanced Member
zallen777 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Saturn's woeful website

You are absolutely dead on. What makes it worse is the lack of dealerships around the country.
The web site becomes even more important in seeing and gathering info on Saturns.
I remember when the Aura first appeared and I hadn't seen one yet in person so I went to the web site.
If I had to rely on that tiny ugly little photo of the car I would never have persued it further, fortunately I had owned many Saturns and saw it in person and fell in love.
There seems to be an element of Saturn doing certain things half ass that ultimately goes against what they are trying to accomplish.

[url]http://www.zallenmusic.com[/url]
[url]http://zallenart.googlepages.com[/url]

2007 Aura XE
2007 AuraXR
05 Vue 5 spd manual
03 ION 3 Sedan Cranberry
03 ION 2 Sedan Black
99 SC2 Blkberry
95 SC2 Red

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zallen777's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zallen777 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zallen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The webmaster needs to be booted. I'll offer myself up for the job. $60k/yr to keep it informationally up-to-date and visually fresh.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
skydrive

2008 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
The webmaster needs to be booted. I'll offer myself up for the job. $60k/yr to keep it informationally up-to-date and visually fresh.
I'm sure you, or about any one of us on here, could do a better job! FYI, I sent all of the same info, along with a few more errors I found, to Saturn. Who knows, maybe if we all gripe something will happen! Here's the link.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/helpcenter/contact_us.jsp, or you can call 800-553-6000.

How do we contact Jill with our concerns?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
ftruscot
ftruscot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

She's on the imsaturn.com social networking site they just launched. Maybe you can get info to her there, if she reads her own page.

2008 Astra 5dr XR, black, 5-sp, adv. audio, prem. trim, sports handling, sunroof

Previous Saturn: 1997 SW2, blue, manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ftruscot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ftruscot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ftruscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

I have to agree. Not only is the site inadequate, it is very slow to post changes that people know or have known for a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
ftruscot
ftruscot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I think there are some good things about the site. I liked the Build Your Own feature better functionally, if not visually, than a lot of the other car sites I visited.

However, I agree with the comments about size and photo gallery. The page is too small and the pictures in the Build your own thing could benefit from being larger and cleaner. The photo galleries for each model are also under populated.

The one thing that bugs me most is when viewing the dealer stock, you get no info about features on a car, just the model, price, and VIN. To get details about the car's options, you need to visit the dealer's individual site and find the car there and click on the window sticker. It's laborious.

It's not all bad, but there are parts that could use some re-work and updating.

2008 Astra 5dr XR, black, 5-sp, adv. audio, prem. trim, sports handling, sunroof

Previous Saturn: 1997 SW2, blue, manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ftruscot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ftruscot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ftruscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
KennedySaturn
KennedySaturn is on a distinguished road

First off everyone chill and wait and see what the next month brings....I spent 2 hours talking with a marketing person that is working for Saturn. I saw the demo for the new website and its great. So dont worry it will be changed before you know it. He spent awhile asking questions about whats been going on. Lucky for him im not afraid to say whats on my mind. I even told him to go on Saturn fans to get some good insite.
Greg Kennedy
Saturn Of Norwood Mass

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KennedySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KennedySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KennedySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

If someone is working for/at Saturn and needs to be told about our little website here something is wrong.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
KennedySaturn
KennedySaturn is on a distinguished road

Saturn just changed to a new company to handle the web page. So I was willing to cut slack on not hearing about saturnfans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KennedySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KennedySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KennedySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
skydrive

2008 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennedySaturn View Post
First off everyone chill and wait and see what the next month brings....I spent 2 hours talking with a marketing person that is working for Saturn. I saw the demo for the new website and its great.
Well, this is good to hear. I certainly hope it's true and that many of the current site's shortcomings are addressed. It still leaves one to wonder what on earth took so long since, in my view, Saturn's product renaissance and a website worthy of those products should have happened concurrently. But, I digress...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
skydrive

2008 SKY

Update. I got a call from Saturn's Customer Assistance Center on my submission and got both good and bad responses. The guy said the info will be passed along "up the chain" and they appreciated the information. He then rambled on at length about the website not needing to be accurate, up to date or fully representative of the vehicles because the customer "really needs to visit a retailer" to get all of that information. Well, duh, but there is no excuse for an error-filled and poorly executed website when it's intended to be used as a shopping tool for consumers. He also said Saturn's site was inline with GM's other brand sites (it's not) in that interior pics may not match the related trim level pics and that there would be a disclaimer on the image explaining such. I pointed out that was not the case on Saturn's site. Whatever happened to striving to be the best? I told the dork that Saturn has great cars but a lousy website. Saturn is trying to win new customers and the whole operation needs to be top notch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrive
... because the customer "really needs to visit a retailer" to get all of that information.
They're absolutely right. For that matter, Saturn shouldn't even have a website.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote