SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #21
Warren72955
Warren72955 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2004 Ion trunk leak

Hello; I wanted to update everyone on my 2006 Ion Quad trunk leak, of which this site has been useful in partially fixing. I first noticed some staining of my headliner and my car has the sunroof. I removed the headliner and was able to clean the stains simply using some upholstery cleaner and surprisingly all of the stain is gone. (The glued on wires to the headliner were a pain; I have now glued them to the roof like they should have been at the factory). On the 4 sunroof drain tubes part of the leakage is due to a short connection on joints with no sealant of any kind; all joints are now sealed with silicone caulk. That was also a problem on the 2 drain joints in the trunk before it goes out the fender on each side. I have also enlarged the drain holes on the rubber fender fittings on all 4 corners so debris will not back up. My existing vent on the passenger side rear did not have any problems so have not done anything to it. After all this was done I was still having some leakage into the trunk especially on the driver side fender. I noticed some water inside the trunk lid every time I opened it so I caulked the spoiler attachment nuts (4); still getting leakage. The final item I found was leakage of the trunk plastic rear panel which is attached to the metal trunk with some press-on tabs on top (poor seals) and a few Torx screws. (See pictures) I have now silicone caulked all holes for the press on tabs and any other holes into the metal trunk. A word of caution: the license plate light will need to be unscrewed and it is necessary to temporarily tape back in place so you can attach it once the plastic rear panel is put back on. Now it appears I have finally fixed all leaks.

Warren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ion trunk 1A.jpg (95.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Ion trunk 3A.jpg (196.3 KB, 39 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren72955's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren72955 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren72955 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #22
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks! I'll check those holes. it totally makes sense.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #23
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I looked again today and removed water on both sides (it has been raining hard every day) and noticed a big round hole on the left going to the under bumper space. this is the area corresponding to the vent on the right.

see the center of a close up. Is it supposed to be open and not plugged up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160402_095958710.jpg (65.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160402_095918069.jpg (132.3 KB, 35 views)

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #24
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

That looks like where the sunroof drain goes

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #25
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
That looks like where the sunroof drain goes
but i have no sunroof. should i plug it up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #26
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Yes, you should.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #27
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Yes, you should.
you are right. there was a similar 3/4 hole on the right, but taped over. either tape came off on the left or was never put in the factory. so, i taped it over.

i also cleaned and sealed the vent on the right and will see what happens next before taking apart the plastic cover of the trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #28
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren72955 View Post
The final item I found was leakage of the trunk plastic rear panel which is attached to the metal trunk with some press-on tabs on top (poor seals) and a few Torx screws. (See pictures) I have now silicone caulked all holes for the press on tabs and any other holes into the metal trunk. A word of caution: the license plate light will need to be unscrewed and it is necessary to temporarily tape back in place so you can attach it once the plastic rear panel is put back on. Now it appears I have finally fixed all leaks.

Warren
thank you Warren one more time for this write up. inspired by this, i took the plastic trunk "skin" apart. it turned out one of the plastic clips was missing, leaving a gaping hole on the top. 2nd, sealing foam tape deteriorated and there was a poorly sealed hole in the rear. i tapes those 2 holes and hope the tape will stick. otherwise, i caulked the other holes that had plastic clips or screws. see the pictures.

now, IMHO, the who design is silly. the plastic "skin" has no function whatsoever, and the top attachment to the real metal trunk lid creates a space where water seats and creates corrosion. this is the only space in the entire (southern) car that had some corrosion. this should be all metal just like the hood is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_133657190[1].jpg (110.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160411_135337568[1].jpg (110.5 KB, 26 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #29
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

update:
it rained hard a couple of days ago and i just checked the trunk. there was a huge improvement, but small amounts of water was present under the vent (that was carefully sealed with sealant). not sure what else to do, i'll probably live with that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #30
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek_p View Post
update:
it rained hard a couple of days ago and i just checked the trunk. there was a huge improvement, but small amounts of water was present under the vent (that was carefully sealed with sealant). not sure what else to do, i'll probably live with that.
It could be just the design of the vent. I get water as well. Not too concerned about it though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #31
Warren72955
Warren72955 is on a distinguished road

Well, we have had lots of rain in Alabama this Spring and still no leak in the trunk on the driver side and my vent on the passenger side is also ok. So I guess my problem is solved so everyone needs to remove their plastic trunk part and caulk all the holes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren72955's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren72955 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren72955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 AM   #32
awelch
awelch is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
did you do it from inside the trunk or from outside. if from outside, how did you get there. did you remove the rear bumper first?
Sorry for the late reply. I have not been on Saturn fans as much. Anyway, as the other person suggested, yes I did all the work from the trunk without removing the bumper. It requires patient manipulation to get the vent out through the rectangular hole and clean everything up nicely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awelch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awelch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #33
chilipepper1327

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelch View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I have not been on Saturn fans as much. Anyway, as the other person suggested, yes I did all the work from the trunk without removing the bumper. It requires patient manipulation to get the vent out through the rectangular hole and clean everything up nicely.
You're right, you don't need to remove the bumper at all and it really isn't that difficult. I did mine and I still get a little water. Bad design...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #34
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
It could be just the design of the vent. I get water as well. Not too concerned about it though.
This is my conclusion as well. Keeps leaking both left and right corners even after extensive use of caulk everywhere. I'm a bit concerned as some mold showed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #35
chilipepper1327

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
This is my conclusion as well. Keeps leaking both left and right corners even after extensive use of caulk everywhere. I'm a bit concerned as some mold showed up.
For mold, there has to be some kind of organic material. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it dry and you should be ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #36
csc67
csc67 is on a distinguished road

I had a trunk leak on both sides in my 2007 Saturn Ion 3 and did a lot of reading about vents / sunroof concerns

When I removed the side carpet in the trunk, I discovered that the rubber drain hoses had become discounted for the 90 elbow. I put them together and put some Gorilla Glue tape on them to avoid them from coming apart again and no leaks for three months

Check this first

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to csc67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help csc67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
csc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #37
mitche
mitche is a jewel in the roughmitche is a jewel in the roughmitche is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Another place to check, open trunk, look at channel next to trunk seal about midway between back glass and tail light, you will see where two metal body panels join. The factory sealant gets dry and cracks allowing water in. Chip out old sealant, reseal. I also sprayed rustoleum flex seal on everything back there. Remove tail light you will see the other factory caulking for body joints.
Rustoleum drips like crazy so use plenty of plastic or whatever to protect from drips.

I don't speed much anymore but I don't slow down for turns much either to keep the fun factor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mitche's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mitche reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #38
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitche View Post
Another place to check, open trunk, look at channel next to trunk seal about midway between back glass and tail light, you will see where two metal body panels join. The factory sealant gets dry and cracks allowing water in. Chip out old sealant, reseal. I also sprayed rustoleum flex seal on everything back there. Remove tail light you will see the other factory caulking for body joints.
Rustoleum drips like crazy so use plenty of plastic or whatever to protect from drips.
Thanks, I'll check for that when son comes back home. Would caulking work for that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #39
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

this what we did this weekend. my son hid in the trunk with a flashlights and I liberally sprayed the car with water (on a warmed day). he could see no leaks inside, yet there were fair amounts of water in the trunk before the test. unless the trunk accumulates water during driving, we are at loss where it comes from.

I did not see any joints that needed caulking, but forgot to remove the taillights to check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #40
kaylan87
kaylan87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
this what we did this weekend. my son hid in the trunk with a flashlights and I liberally sprayed the car with water (on a warmed day). he could see no leaks inside, yet there were fair amounts of water in the trunk before the test. unless the trunk accumulates water during driving, we are at loss where it comes from.

I did not see any joints that needed caulking, but forgot to remove the taillights to check.
Bummer dude.

My 06 Ion seems to have had a leak as well. And Im going to try the "hide in trunk while someone sprays my car with a hose" test as well. If anyways, Im just going to try caulking some areas inside the trunk

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IbG3PH8Duw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaylan87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaylan87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaylan87 is offline   Reply With Quote