SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Happy Custom Exhaust Silencer

So I recently installed the 2.5 inch ZZP catted down pipe and new 2.5 inch piping the rest of the way back with a high flow resonator and single chambered muffler. This is a rather loud setup that actually sounds decent and not all ricey but I wanted to be able to control the sound a bit more. I built a silencer that fits inside the 2.5 piping and can be held in place with a single bolt. The silencer I built has a sleeve to hold the fiber glass sheet around the stainless steel mesh pipe and since the sleeve was removable I was able to remove layers of fiberglass till I got the sound I wanted. Now I can drive with the sound I want but still tame it down when the wife or kids in the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20181113_191458.jpg (84.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20181113_191521.jpg (82.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20181113_191733.jpg (73.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20181023_134709.jpg (103.7 KB, 5 views)

2004 Saturn Ion CAI, Aftermarket Headlights and Taillights, Bluetooth Fogs, ZZP 2.5" Cat and Custom 2.5" Complete Exhaust
2000 F150 Off-Road 3" Duals and K&N Intake
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Custom Exhaust Silencer

It looks good man! Though I had always thought 2.5” would be a little big for an L61?

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I figured 2.5 would be a bit big with no restrictions on the flow but I was planning the silencer already and there are more mods to come although I wish I knew of the programming restrictions for this year before I bought it. I might need to see if I can swap the computer or maybe do some type of piggy back in order to upgrade the head and cam otherwise I would be limited to just cleaning things up and port and polish.

2004 Saturn Ion CAI, Aftermarket Headlights and Taillights, Bluetooth Fogs, ZZP 2.5" Cat and Custom 2.5" Complete Exhaust
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
19boneatock88

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I would think you can do a SAFC for tuning of cams/head, or switch to standalone... not having HPT support makes me with I had bought that 07 sedan I looked at...

I think I’ll end up with 2.25” for my exhaust...

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

What did you all do to yours? I am gathering parts for the 2.4 intake swap but also trying to figure something out for a bigger throttle body. It would be nice if we had more options for intake manifolds but this is a start. The issue I have with the newer cars was the electric throttle bodies and the throttle delay that comes with them. My goal is over 200 to the wheels or more.

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
19boneatock88

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I ported the stock intake manifold and TB and did a 3” intake tube out of a nearly stock airbox lid with the bong deleted... planning on a header, catless DP and exhaust with resonator, which *shoukd* be right at the limit for what stock PCM and injectors can take...

If you’re wanting the LE5 IM I do recommend porting the stock manifold as a cheap alternative... not as much top end gain as the LE5 IM, but you give up less low end, and don’t need to adapt your TB... definitely a very noticeable gain over stock though, and you can hear the difference in sound above 6k...

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightMan View Post
........,The issue I have with the newer cars was the electric throttle bodies and the throttle delay that comes with them. My goal is over 200 to the wheels or more.
I'm familiar with three cars - a Nissan Sentra 1.8L, a Toyota Corolla 4 cyl and my L300 3.0L V6. All three use electric throttle drive by wire systems. The two small engines have zero hesitation when using throttle. My L300 is a dog compared to them. When I drive the two 4 cyl engines, I have to use lighter pedal effort to prevent launching each car. My L300 with more hp simply does not launch as quickly as the two little engines.

Other than my car having something I'm accustomed to from conservative driving, I don't believe there's any delay in drive by wire systems. My speeding occurs mostly after acceleration when passing or moving along. I'm not a stoplight racer as many feel the need to prove their car is better than the next. If drive by wire systems are so problematic with so called delays then why are Corvettes, Cadillacs, Mustangs, Camaros, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Bugattis, Dodge Vipers, and many more muscle cars using drive by wire systems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Some cars have better tuning to limit delays. I have driven many vehicles with and without drive by wire and can tell the difference. Our Escape is electronic and a bit annoying when you hit the gas and have to wait. I am planning on getting it tuned after upgrading the exhaust since those are easy to get over 300 hp to the wheels with basic upgrades and a tune. Simplicity in parts offers easier ways to upgrade and less potential issues.

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2018, 12:28 AM   #9
19boneatock88

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Most DBW systems are tuned to have a certain response curve... my first experience was with my 04 IRL which was pullied way down (2.8”) and had the LS4 TB and it was super responsive, to the point that it was jumpy in 1st gear and I’d get random spinning trying to accelerate slowly...

Most other cars I’ve driven with DBW have had somewhat linear throttle response, but maybe higher powered cars have a slower response curve tuned into the pedal to prevent accidental spinning...

The thing that DBW adds is, that the manufacturer can add features to the pedal itself... the 2008 Altima I drove before my ION had DBW and the CVT trans and the pedal had a detent at around 95% pedal that you had to “click” through, which seemed to be a trans kick down switch... you could rest the throttle against the detent and it would rev up greatly but not to redline, or it would hold its gear in manual mode but when you clicked the switch it would immediately find its lowest available gear and you’d take off like a rocket...

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!