SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2019, 01:42 AM   #1
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2
Default Troubleshooting a newly repaired sunroof

I just installed the sunroof doctor kit on my 2001 SC2 sunroof. I replaced both guides and the motor bracket with new ones, and the cables with junkyard cables which appeared to be in good condition.

Everything worked fine for a couple days. It opened and closed smoothly many times. But then it stopped opening all the way. It gets about halfway to the vented position, then buzzes and stops. It closes again smoothly.

What might have caused it to stop working? What should I look for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Troubleshooting a newly repaired sunroof

That sounds like a sunroof motor issue. The gears in it are failing.

2001 SL1 MT (433,500 km @ 06/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (277,300 km @ 06/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (128,250 km @ 06/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Either the plastic gear on the motor is failing or the cables have a worn out spot in them. If you're careful you can pull the motor out via the map lights without pulling the headliner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

I think you guys might be right. I took the glass off and the mechanism worked perfectly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Is the sunroof motor serviceable?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

I have it working again (for now). When I put it together, instead of the gooey lithium grease provided by sunroof doctor, I used a "dry" RV window track lubricant. That may very well have been the source of my problem. It worked for 48 hours or so then didn't. I relubed with the lithium grease, and then the mechanism worked with the glass installed.

It may also be that just taking the glass off and running the mechanism through a few cycles got it past the worn portion of the gear, and before much time passes, I'll have the same problem again.

Anyone know of a place that rebuilds small electric motors? (just in case?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!