SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
ShebawoofNose
ShebawoofNose is on a distinguished road

Default 1995 Saturn SL Sunroof

Hello All! I recently bought my first car, a 95 Saturn. I love it to death, but it was in a rollover before I bought it. The sunroof was fixed, and to save money, we installed a manual handle to open it, rather than fixing the motor. My problem is anytime I go over a bump, the back of the sunroof slightly oppens. Then it leaks. The sunroof has drains, but water doesn't drain through them. I have tried vacuuming them out, with no success. Consequently, water drains through my roof into the car. How do I fix either of these problems? I would prefer to have the sunroof, but i'm thinking about just putting clear flex seal over it. I figured I would ask first. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShebawoofNose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShebawoofNose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShebawoofNose is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Nigey
Nigey is a jewel in the roughNigey is a jewel in the roughNigey is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XE
2002 SL2
Default Re: 1995 Saturn SL Sunroof

Well... I just fixed my 2002 sunroof. Here's what I learned:

-the drains being clear are essential. I had the headliner off (I think you will have to do this) and a large syringe of water -rather than air -to force through any debris. Even then I accessed the drain pipe ends (at least at the front as it was relatively easy) but since the water syringe technique seemed to work so well, I didn't bother with the back.

-cleaning the frame and the seal is a really good idea, I also ended up sanding it down and using rust preventer and some rust inhibitor paint. I took the seal off intending to replace it, but in the end just cleaned it up as much as possible and put it back on.

I used something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Syringes-Scie...+syringe&psc=1

A suggestion that might work: go to a hardware store and get some waterproof weather stripping, that may mitigate too much water coming in and giving it a chance to drain first.

2007 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 L LZ4 V6
2002 Saturn SL2 1.9L (manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nigey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nigey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 1995 Saturn SL Sunroof

Suctioning out the drains won't work as you've found out as the rubber lines would just collapse. You need to flush them out with compressed air and/or clean them out at the exit point where the restriction is most likely.

To access the lines you need to remove the headliner or at least pull it down partially. This is the only way you can disconnect the rubber hose and put compressed air into them to blow out debris. The other issue that could possibly happen is that the lines have been disconnected from the sunroof. Removing the headliner will make this apparent if this is the case.

At then end of the lines there is a piece that is designed to open and let water escape and close to keep spiders and whatnot out (I assume). This also traps larger debris and causes a damming effect. You can easily access the front hose exit from the footwells inside the car by removing the trim piece and pulling the rubber boot. The lines are right there, give them a squeeze to break up the debris and push it out. There are lots of posts within this forum if you do a search.

Here's a good post on cleaning drains, a diagram of where to find the drainage hoses and a photo of the drain tube end which is problematic.

http://www.saturnspot.com/showthread.php?t=25541

2001 SL1 MT (433,500 km @ 06/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (277,300 km @ 06/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (128,250 km @ 06/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote