SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
remitten
remitten is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default BCM issue (Unique problem perhaps)

So I've done some searching on the forums about the body control module and can't seem to find a problem that exactly matches the one I'm having. My domelight, automatic lights, rear defrost, cluster lights, door locks, and shift knob (currently fixed with a zip tie to bypass the shift lock) will all stop working intermittently but often. If I pull the 15 amp BCM cluster fuse and put it back in it fixes it every time for about three or four starts, then stops working again until I pull the fuse and place it in again. I'm not replacing the fuse I'm simply pulling it out and putting it.

Any ideas? I thought about just putting in a switch that goes to the cab so that I can just switch the BCM fuse on and off to "fix" the problem. Especially if the only other option is to replace the BCM for $600.

Car is a 2003 Saturn L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to remitten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help remitten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
remitten is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2017, 01:25 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: BCM issue (Unique problem perhaps)

Here's a file description of your bcm. If your symptoms fit what the bcm does, you have choices. Newly programmed from GM (don't bother trying to find third party repair services as they never prove to be 100% repairs as posted by members here), buy used ones and accept mileage stored in bcm's as yours (none have ever been altered by GM or third party shops). Used bcm's must be reprogrammed by GM to accept your remotes if you want remote use. A simple 30 minute procedure for marrying bcm's to ecm/pcm can be performed at home for immediate use (no remote until programmed). The relearn procedure are posted here in these forums with some searching.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (139.4 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
remitten

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you fdryer for the information. Not totally sure what to do with it though. From my description does it sound like the bcm is bad to you? I don't understand why fiddling with the fuse makes it work for a while, and then 4 or 5 starts later it fails again, and unplugging and plugging in with the fuse works every time. It just seems like something else might be tripping the bcm up somehow. Not sure how to check for that personally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help remitten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This seems to fit a bcm issue that may be on the verge of failure. Others here have reported issues pointing to bcm failure. There are few choices and wiring an on/off switch inline with power to the bcm may be another option, albeit a temporary band aid. If you search for bcm problems, the worse case scenario are vehicles in full "possessed" mode with horns, lights, wipers, and Passlock enabled/activated where the car cannot be started. In this case the car had to be towed to GM. Best case is an owner buying a used one, successfully restoring car function.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
remitten

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That makes sense. I'm going to wire up a switch for now and maybe work on getting a used one somewhere down the road. So far I haven't had anything even close to the possessed symptoms, just the mild inconveniences I listed. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can buy a bcm on eBay for next to nothing. Why not eliminate that as the issue instead of cob jobbing your car? Go to a junkyard and grab 2 or 3, takes just a few minutes to swap them out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
remitten

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Because from what I understand, that requires reprogramming at a dealer for $$$, and if you just do the relearn thing you lose your mileage, ability to use key fobs, etc. Currently my symptoms aren't debilitating so it's not worth those few things to me.

By the way, my "cob job" switch I installed works fantastic. If ever the bcm gives me a slight problem I just flick the switch off and back on and it's back in business, everything works perfectly. For whatever reason the bcm just has a hiccup every now and then when I start the car and the switch fixes my issue.

I don't think my bcm issues are the typical ones that most users are reporting here though. Time will tell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #8
Deep6
Deep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I seem to be having a weird electrical gremlin too here are my 4 symptoms:

Symptom one: On a colder night (below 40 degrees F) and at cruising highway speeds or 55mph country roads, lifting off the gas pedal for a moment will cause the headlights/dash-lights to "Pulse/Dim" approx. 3 or 4 times quickly. Getting back on the gas pedal will make the problem go away and staying off the gas pedal, the problem will resolve itself. It doesn't always do it for each lift of the gas pedal though. This only seems to occur during colder weather.

I thought it was because I had the headlight switch in "Auto" mode. I tried manually switching to regular headlights, but this didn't resolve the problem. I also replaced the battery this past December, for an unrelated issue but that didn't seem to help either.

Symptom two: At night, when the headlight switch is in "Auto" and returning home. I pull the E-brake up but the headlights do NOT turn off. During the daytime they do turn off(I got out and checked). Only turning the engine off will turn the headlights off. Starting the car back up, the lights are off until the E-brake is released. Trying this in Manual mode doesn't work either.

Symptom three: My driver's side seatbelt light works fine. It lights up and chimes 5 times every morning when I start the car. If I plug my seatbelt in the light goes out and the chiming stops if I catch it before the 5th chime. Now let's say I pull up to an ATM, turn the car off, but do not remove my seatbelt. When I start the engine back up, the seatbelt light is not lit but the chime will come on 5 times.

Symptom 4: On my Wagon I have a cargo area dome light. It doesn't light up when the lift-gate is opened like it should. I have checked the switch and even checked the bulb. That is fine. I tried to check with my multi-meter and it does not appear voltage is getting to the body of the cargo light. It has what appears to be a transistor in it so I didn't know which copper nodes would be safe to check on. The main dome light works fine, along with the map lights. So I know it is not the door switches or the lift-gate switch either.

Does this sound like a BCM problem or is it possible that I have 4 separate issues?

2002 LW200 MT 170K "Rare 5-speed"
2000 LS1 AT 283K "Served us well since 2000"
1993 SL2 AT 155K "Also Gone but not forgotten"
2012 Honda CBR 250R 4.7K "She can't take this from me"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deep6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deep6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have the same dim when you lift out of throttle issue with my 02 L 200. Some times it only dims once, and sometimes it dims several times. I am going to check all the ground connection points. It seems to be closed throttle related not engine speed. It stops dimming if I open the throttle. This has been going on all winter, short days and driving in the dark more.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here are three files, one for the starting and charging system and the other two describing bcm functions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (99.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information-1.pdf (123.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information-2.pdf (127.5 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #11
Deep6
Deep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Fdryer: Thank you for that in-depth posting of the BCM functions. I read through it all and I have a better understanding of how the BCM interacts with various chimes, telltale lights and switches. Though for the specific issues I'm having, I'm not sure I'd be able to track down the source of issue, unless it is a specific failure in the BCM itself.

As the weather warms up, I'll be planning more trips outside to 'mess with stuff' on the car this spring/summer. I made it through winter but there are other more priority issues that need to be addressed if I'm going to eke more service out of the ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Deep6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Without GM's Tech II to have more accurate diagnosing available, I'm in the same DIY boat as everyone else. Having the service manuals for reference helps since information educates and illuminates the complex functions of engine control modules, body control modules, transmission control modules, the service and diagnostic module for the airbags, and abs module. Each module is complex in handling a specific subsystem of our vehicles. Deciding what part fails is no easy task. I post info when I cannot make an honest assessment based on little info and may point in the general direction. I, like everyone else, would prefer not to spend money on parts that do not fix a problem unless I can gather as much info as possible before money is spent. A Tech II scantool can simplify troubleshooting. Without it I'm left to learn as much about a topic and what's needed to diagnose a problem before concluding a decision on repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
Deep6

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Fdryer: Since a GM Scan tool is needed to make further determination if the BCM is starting to fail, then it might just be worth my time to pay the dealer for 1/2 hour diagnostic time to find out for sure.

I was thinking more about the cargo light situation and I think I should remove it and test it for continuity, also test the wires for voltage. It might just be the housing itself has failed.

I'll be sure to keep you posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!