SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2017, 12:19 AM   #1
MrTwitchyMckat
MrTwitchyMckat has a spectacular aura aboutMrTwitchyMckat has a spectacular aura aboutMrTwitchyMckat has a spectacular aura about

Default Rapid knocking noise when clutch pedal is pressed in?

Hi folks!

A few weeks back I bought my first Saturn, specifically a 1995 Saturn SC2, for a whopping $50. Engine sounded healthy, but it needed a new clutch. I just finished doing the clutch job last night and started her up. It made this terrible knocking noise. It sounded somewhat like rod knock, but I figured out that when I let go of the clutch pedal it goes away. I've looked into it and I've narrowed it down to the throw out bearing which I replaced, and or the pilot bearing which I didn't replace since it didn't come in the kit. I should mention at this point that I've never done a clutch job, but from what I could tell nothing really went wrong.

Do any of you fine people have any suggestions on which it could be? Or am I going in the completely wrong direction. If needed I could upload a video of what it sounds like.

Thank you all in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrTwitchyMckat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrTwitchyMckat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrTwitchyMckat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Rapid knocking noise when clutch pedal is pressed in?

I've heard that horrible noise before on another car - it was the throwout bearing. What brand of clutch kit did you use? Luk is the only one that seems to work right in these cars.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

I don't have much clutch experience; none with Saturn.

If you open it up again, maybe check the crankshaft 'end-float' , the axial movement of the crank into//out of the crankcase....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
MrTwitchyMckat
MrTwitchyMckat has a spectacular aura aboutMrTwitchyMckat has a spectacular aura aboutMrTwitchyMckat has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
I've heard that horrible noise before on another car - it was the throwout bearing. What brand of clutch kit did you use? Luk is the only one that seems to work right in these cars.
I just used the generic Autozone Duralast clutch kit that is apparently supposed to fit on my car specifically. I'm not looking forward to pulling off the transmission again

I had a feeling it was that cause I do remember when I put it on it felt super loose.

But thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MrTwitchyMckat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
MrTwitchyMckat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
I don't have much clutch experience; none with Saturn.

If you open it up again, maybe check the crankshaft 'end-float' , the axial movement of the crank into//out of the crankcase....
Hmm, okay! I'll have to look more into that cause I'm not 100% sure what that is. I'm wondering if it might also just be the pilot bearing?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!