SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
bowlby29
bowlby29 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Stuck Rotor pictures - for your amusement

I did a front brake job on my 2000 SL2 last week, and the driver's side rotor was severely stuck. I spent 3 days spraying it with penetrating oil and whacking the face & rear with a hammer. As a last resort, I made a cut about 1/2 inch in from the outside of the rotor face, halfway around the rotor. I then drove a chisel in that cut, and was able to pry the rotor off that way.

Certainly not the best way to do it, but it only took about 45 minutes using a hacksaw and dremel (compared to at least 6 hours with the hammer). Best of all, I was able to remove the rotor without damaging the hub. I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, so I figured I'd post as a "this worked for me", as well as giving you a good laugh at my expense.

You'll notice how thin the rotor was on the inside - the caliper slide pins were in bad shape and not letting the caliper put pressure on both pads evenly. The last shop that did my brakes both removed the rubber boot and failed to adequately grease the pins.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13...ew?usp=sharing

2000 SL2 200k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bowlby29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bowlby29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bowlby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2
Default Re: Stuck Rotor pictures - for your amusement

Wow! There must have been a lot of brake pedal shudder from the unevenness of the rotor faces. Or perhaps that happened from all your hammering

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its amazing the rest of the suspension doesn't show any rust except the rotor. Hopefully with all the hammering, the wheel bearing didn't suffer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Antiseize and paint will prevent that from happening.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Jette Racing
Jette Racing is just really niceJette Racing is just really niceJette Racing is just really niceJette Racing is just really niceJette Racing is just really nice

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Antiseize and paint will prevent that from happening.
1996, next week I'll do the inner and outer ball joints. As I work on a part I try to make that part as new as possible, including a thorough cleaning.

[IMG][/IMG]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jette Racing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jette Racing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jette Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

^...and in SLC, your good paint work will last

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
...Hopefully with all the hammering, the wheel bearing didn't suffer.
A small tap will bring on the growling.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).

Last edited by bumpdraft; 07-04-2016 at 09:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
OlHillbilly
OlHillbilly will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Some serious rust action there.
A little bit of heat on the rotors and they would have probably came right off. Don't have to get them glowing red, just warmed up good. Between the rotor expanding and the heat itself, will most always break rusted parts right loose.

2002 SL1
1997 SL.. Killed by a texting driver
1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
Coupla motorcycles and an assortment of bicycles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OlHillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OlHillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OlHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Don't think I've EVER seen one that effed up and I've probably don'e a few thousand brake jobs. 99% of the time, a few whacks from behind with a bfh (if you know you're going to replace it anyway) does the trick. If it was me, I'd plan on replacing the wheel bearings. They are dirt cheap and it's not a hard job.

Kudos on the paint job.

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
bowlby29

2000 SL2

New brakes feel awesome - especially considering where I was before the brake job.

fdryer - struts were replaced 2 weeks prior. Tie rod is in surprisingly good shape on this side; passenger is rusted to hell and no-longer adjustable. A week of driving and there's no sound from the bearing - I'm sure time will tell.

OldNuc - My new rotors are factory painted - didn't have antisieze handy but I might pull them later to apply some. Good call.

Jette Racing - holy hell man, that's like a sleeper art car . Impressive! I have started painting select parts as I replace them - guess I'm more conservative sticking with flat black!

OlHillbilly - maybe I didn't heat it enough, but tried a propane torch on it for a few minutes as well (combined with the hammer). I saw a warning elsewhere about destroying wheel bearing seals with too much heat so I didn't push it more than a few minutes with the torch.

VUEmaniac - I might try to do that soon, although I don't have a press so I might just replace the whole hub. I think a replacement valve body might be the next thing on my list given the occasional hard shifts.

2000 SL2 200k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bowlby29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When using antiseize it MUST be a extremely thin coat so wipe on a pea sized gob with a paper towel, that will be more than enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #11
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlby29 View Post
VUEmaniac - I might try to do that soon, although I don't have a press so I might just replace the whole hub.
You need a press either way. The hub and bearing come together but hub is pressed into the bearing and the hub & bearing pressed into the knuckle. The bearing is between the knuckle and hub.

2001 SL1 MT (433,500 km @ 06/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (277,300 km @ 06/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (128,250 km @ 06/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #12
bowlby29

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
You need a press either way. The hub and bearing come together but hub is pressed into the bearing and the hub & bearing pressed into the knuckle. The bearing is between the knuckle and hub.
Good to know. I'll either use a buddy's or pick up a cheap one.

2000 SL2 200k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
dfuerst
dfuerst is on a distinguished road

Harbor Freight 12 ton has more than enough oomph, and is cheap. Use a vice, hammer, and drift to get the old one out (it'll take far, far longer to rig up the press to push it out). Use the press to install the new bearing and hub. The rigging for the install is simple; deinstall will have you scratching your head till you are bald.

I had the same problem when I did the driver's side wheel bearing -- the rotor was rusted to the hub. No amount of hammering and harsh language in either direction would free it up. It took less than 5 minutes with an angle grinder to cut off the rotor.

Darren

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dfuerst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dfuerst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
00_SL1
00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

OK, I realize this job is all done now, but thought this might be relevant to the topic. I found this over the weekend after fighting with the rotors on my van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #15
dfuerst
dfuerst is on a distinguished road

Tried that -- didn't work.

Darren

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dfuerst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dfuerst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote