SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
surreyman
surreyman has a spectacular aura aboutsurreyman has a spectacular aura aboutsurreyman has a spectacular aura about

Dizzy P0341 code in a 2002 SL1

I have a 2002 SL1 with the 1.9 SOHC. Recently the vehicle was running rough and my check engine light came on during a week of constant rain (vehicle is parked outside overnight). I checked the codes and it was a P0341. I reset the code but it came back on after one drive cycle. I reset again and the same thing happened several more times. I looked at many posts (Richpin and others) and tried to follow their suggestions, starting with the easiest and least expensive first. I have replaced the plugs with NGK 7755 plugs, replaced the plug wires (new), replaced the coils (new) and also replaced the ignition module (new). I also cleaned the ign module contact point on the engine and the 4 bolts holding the 2 coils and ign. module and used Permatex anti-seize when the bolts were replaced (do not know if this might be an issue?). I also sprayed carb cleaner around the intake manifold while engine was running, to see if the engine surged, showing a possible a leak/problem with the intake gasket, but the engine did not surge. The check engine light still comes on after one drive cycle of being cleared and still gives the same P0341 code. I do not know what to do next or what to look for next to fix this problem. I would like to get this solved without spending a lot of $$ in my commuter vehicle, which is 15 years old (purchased new in 2001) and keep it alive for a little longer. Any suggestions or solutions would be most appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surreyman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surreyman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surreyman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0341 code in a 2002 SL1

You're not alone with this mystery P0341 cam sensor error code when your engine doesn't have a cam sensor. Crank sensor yes, no cam sensor. It's an electronic error derived from signals. You can search threads covering solutions and find the definition from service manual reprints here or use good sites explaining error codes like http://www.obd-codes.com/p0341 (read the highlighted alert). This may be as simple as rerouting plug wires in original configuration or as bad as new ICM and coils not meeting specs. Many find junk yard ignition parts in good condition for reuse after some clean up and far cheaper than new parts prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: P0341 code in a 2002 SL1

I had to replace my ICM (complete failure) and eBay is a good source. The current Chinese product seems to be labeled at many different price ranges, and the best I can tell they are all the same. As long as it's running good, clean up the electrodes and run it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marko16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marko16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
surreyman
surreyman has a spectacular aura aboutsurreyman has a spectacular aura aboutsurreyman has a spectacular aura about

Happy Re: P0341 code in a 2002 SL1

Decided to double check everything. When I double checked the coil resistance of the new coils I just put in, I found one at 6.6K ohms and one at 7.2k ohms and the spec was to have the coils at least 8k ohms. I then double checked my 15 year old coils and they both were about 8.2K ohms, so I really cleaned them up and then replaced the new coils with the old ones and cleared the check engine light. This seemed to work. I have been driving over a week and over 700 miles with the light off. I have requested a refund on the new coils. Lesson learned. I should have checked the new coils before installing. With new wires, new plugs, new ICM, and 15 yr old coils, it seems I am set for the moment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surreyman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surreyman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surreyman is offline   Reply With Quote