SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 AM   #1
Sleeper_saturn
Sleeper_saturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Dizzy 2002 sl2 exhaust system failure.. to mod or stay stock?

Let me start by saying I'm new here and just discovered my love and respect for saturn

So all but 1 of my exhaust hangers have completely rusted through, leaving a massive stress point on my gasket. (immediately after the downstream O2 sensor)
The bolts holding the exhaust together have COMPLETELY rusted away along with their flange holes.
I've fabricated new sturdy straps, but cannot patch the gap without cutting the flanges off the exhaust. I would have already done this if the O2 sensor wasnt so close.

So, do you guys think I should go ahead and get an aftermarket system or stay stock? If I get something aftermarket, should I get a new intake as well?

Also, my sl2 (sharon) has 186,xxx... is it worth putting this kind of work into?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sleeper_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sleeper_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sleeper_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
stovetop1
stovetop1 has a spectacular aura aboutstovetop1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2002 sl2 exhaust system failure.. to mod or stay stock?

this is exactly why I started painting my exhaust system with stove paint which has held up better than spray on paint I would salvage what you can and buy the rest of the parts from rock auto if you're looking to save money and then buy a quart of stove paint from Home Depot. the stainless steel exhaust system it is more expensive and will probably pay for itself in three years so if you plan on keeping the car for more than 3 years I would buy stainless cuz of the other stuff will just deteriorate I have already done the same thing I had to have my exhaust header welded into my downpipe because the screws we're screwed and I also woundup spending $100 to fix the exhaust system two years after I put it on because the flex tube broke ftw

Last edited by stovetop1; 12-27-2015 at 12:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stovetop1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stovetop1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stovetop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Frankly, Saturns are not Caddillacs, Corvettes, Vipers, Lambos, etc.. They're high end vehicles with probably stainless exhaust systems for the greatest corrosion resistance for very long term life. As a low cost car, Saturns are likely to use industry innovative exhaust systems made of aluminized steel tubing for long life. With this mind, New Jersey and every rust belt state using salt for snow melt simply advances corrosion to every vehicle on the roads. Coupled with high temperature exhaust emitting moisture and the chemical byproducts, this hot brew corrodes exhaust systems from the inside. An '02 Saturn in NJ with 186k miles lasted 13 years, long past factory warranty with an excellent stock exhaust system. Who can complain about an original exhaust system lasting 186k miles?

Here's a brief link to sites that explains vehicle exhaust systems;

http://www.apexhaust.com/automotive-...manufacturing/

http://www.jfe-21st-cf.or.jp/chapter_1/1e_2.html

http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...r_exhaust.html

The difficult part of replacing exhaust systems is either diy or finding an exhaust shop that can spell out what materials are used for the equivalent stock exhaust system for reasonable cost. Its expected that stainless will cost more but the question is is it worth it for a car that's already 186k miles old and whether or not a good quality exhaust system is all that's necessary or paying more for stainless. While the car corrodes away, stainless won't. Is it worth it against a replacement exhaust system that's every bit as equal to the original?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The OEM Saturn exhaust is all 400 series stainless steel. It all discolors to a reddish rust color but it is not rust. If the rubber hangers are shot it will break at the welds. There are no easy ways to replace it with like quality from the aftermarket except with the OBX header and OBX or Thermal Research and Development cat back system. These are 304 SS. The Walker direct fit cat is as good as it gets and the inlet and outlet may rot off of that but it can be fixed. The cost of all of this is not insignificant but it will be the last exhaust system you have to buy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Depends on your budget and access to welder. If it's me I replace the whole system.

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That was my fix, still far from low cost but it is now bullet proof.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
stovetop1
stovetop1 has a spectacular aura aboutstovetop1 has a spectacular aura about

$337 at rockauto.com for everything

Click to Jump to This Car in the Part Catalog2001 SATURN SL SEDAN 1.9L L4 DOHC
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : MufflerRelated PartsBack-Pressure TesterBack-Pressure Tester Replacement PlugClampExhaust Hanger ToolHanger / InsulatorMuffler Strap

WALKER 18943 Walker SoundFX Direct Fit Muffler
Vin WZ216475 and After; Requires 36376; Optional A
$43.79 $43.79 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : Muffler Strap

WALKER 36376
Vin WZ216475 and After; Used w/ 54251; Will not fit on O.E. Muffler. A
$9.33 $9.33 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : Catalytic ConverterRelated PartsAir Pipe / Tube ConnectorAir Pipe GasketBack-Pressure TesterBack-Pressure Tester Replacement Plug

WALKER 15842 Ultra Converter

Fits Except Late Models; Must Use Aftermarket Front Pipe 53325; Federal Emission Models.; (Not legal for sale or use in California; Not legal for sale or use in New York for vehicles with CA emissions); Additional Parts Needed: 31533
Or Late Models; Must Use Aftermarket Front Pipe 53323; Federal Emission Models.; (Not legal for sale or use in California; Not legal for sale or use in New York for vehicles with CA emissions); Additional Parts Needed: 31533
A
Extend the life of your new catalytic converter by using Decarbonizer to clean soot and carbon out of the engine and fuel system.
$114.79 $114.79 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : PipeRelated PartsBack-Pressure TesterBack-Pressure Tester Replacement PlugDouble Bellow Flex PipeExhaust Pipe ShaperHose / Tube / Pipe Cutter / BenderHose / Tube BenderInner & Outer Braid Flex PipeInterlock Flex Pipe

WALKER 53323 Walker Flex Front Pipe
Vin WZ216475 and After; Late Models; Federal Emissions; If welded assembly, replace all required parts. A
Do you also need clamps or hanger / insulators?
$57.79 $57.79 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : ResonatorRelated PartsBack-Pressure TesterBack-Pressure Tester Replacement Plug

WALKER 56017
Vin WZ216475 and After; If welded assembly, replace all required parts. A
Do you also need clamps or hanger / insulators?
$64.79 $64.79 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogEmission : Oxygen (O2) SensorRelated PartsEmission Repair ManualOxygen (O2) Sensor Analyzer ToolOxygen (O2) Sensor BossOxygen (O2) Sensor ConnectorOxygen (O2) Sensor GasketOxygen (O2) Sensor NutOxygen (O2) Sensor PlugOxygen (O2) Sensor Socket / WrenchOxygen (O2) Sensor Thread Repair

ULTRA-POWER 2344066
Downstream B
An Oxygen Sensor Socket / Wrench can make removal and installation of this part easier.
$33.99 $33.99 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : Exhaust Manifold GasketRelated PartsCylinder Head Gasket / Head Gasket SetDistributor Mounting GasketGasket MaterialIntake Manifold GasketTorque Converter SealValve Cover Gasket

FEL-PRO MS96118 {#21008079} Set [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] B
$2.49 $2.49 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : Pipe Flange Gasket / SealRelated PartsGasket MaterialHose / Tube / Pipe Cutter / BenderHose / Tube Bender

FEL-PRO 61188
Flange A
$2.49 $2.49 Remove Part
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : ClampRelated PartsThermoplastic Clamp Removal Tool

WALKER 35343 Heavy Duty Clamp; 11 Gauge Saddle U Bolt Clamp
Vin WZ216475 and After; 1-3/4 Inch A
$0.99 $7.92 Remove Part
Subtotal $337.38

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stovetop1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stovetop1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stovetop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

In the snow-salt-sand belt that will last about 3 years or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!