SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
silversaturnsl2
silversaturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default 2002 SL2 front brakes upgrade?

New saturn owner. I was looking to put new front brks on mg Sl2. Any suggestion. Not to much planning on adding turbo down the line but firzt working on stability and oh yeah. STOPPING lol.
Thanks for all your knoledge.

2002 sl2 sedan/silver
156,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversaturnsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversaturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversaturnsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 2002 SL2 front brakes upgrade?

Get quality rotors that won't rust out in a year (they have a coating on the hub and in the cooling vanes) and get quality pads such as EBC GreenStuff.
I don't believe any other calipers bolt-on, at least no cheap ones do.

Probably wouldn't hurt to suck out most of the old DOT3 from the MC, fill it with new, and bleed all 4 corners making sure to keep the MC full.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
silversaturnsl2

2002 SL2

Thank you for the info. Are the stock calipers strong enough to stop when traveling faster than I should. How bout rear brakes? My first Saturn and I am hooked. Awesome little car.

2002 sl2 sedan/silver
156,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silversaturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Pretty sure 99% of the guys in the 400whp+ club use factory calipers.

Unless you fancy tearing apart the rear calipers every 6 months to relube the slide pins just replace/rebuild the factory drum setup rather than swapping to rear disc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Hey Fetch, why has the Subaru avatar gone?

(Thanks again for your kind SW2 roadside assistance August 2013 near Montpelier!).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Hey Fetch, why has the Subaru avatar gone?

(Thanks again for your kind SW2 roadside assistance August 2013 near Montpelier!).
That particular Subaru got traded for a legit off-road vehicle ('96 Ram 1500 w/ 3" body lift and soon to be dana 60 front 70 or 80 rear) Still have a Forester for DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Pretty sure 99% of the guys in the 400whp+ club use factory calipers.

Unless you fancy tearing apart the rear calipers every 6 months to relube the slide pins just replace/rebuild the factory drum setup rather than swapping to rear disc.
Rear disk brakes are a maintenance disaster on anything but a track car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Yea, check the rear drums and replace the shoes/drums if worn out. Also check the hardware components and check the wheel cylinders to see if they're leaking or not.

+1 on the EBC pads on the front. Get Centric rotors if you want/need them, I got them and they are excellent. Good deal on Amazon Prime.

Front Calipers are plenty strong. Bleed the brakes if it looks like it's been more than 2-3 years. Amsoil DOT 3 Brake Fluid is an excellent choice; I have it in both Saturns & my truck.

Let us know what you get!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
lowflyer
lowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to all

2001 SWP
2000 SWP

i'd suggest looking at some drilled vented rotors,(not slotted), coupled with ceramic pads. i've got them on both my saturn mailcars. which put a hurt on brakes like no other kind of daily driving. not sure of the knock on rear discs. i like them because there so much simpler to service, and i've got them apart every 6 months anyway. i had some idiot pull out in front of me, at 60 mph, and i pulled the parking brake to stop faster. it actually locked the rear wheels up, which i don't think would have happened with drums.

everyone has preferences.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowflyer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowflyer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #10
silversaturnsl2

2002 SL2

Thanks for the info. I think gonna go with new rotors and pads in front and just replace brake shoes rear and c what happens. I will let you all know what kind.

2002 sl2 sedan/silver
156,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
OldGS
OldGS is on a distinguished road

Just did my brakes a couple of weeks ago. Front pads $73 at Napa for the best they had (lifetime warrantee), and $19 for the rear shoes and a $6 core charge. Front discs were a piece of cake. For some reason assembly of the rear shoes was a PITA. I left one set on the car until I had installed the other side and had to keep going back and looking at the other side to see if I was assembling it correctly. Those little springs (3) were hard to get back on while at the same time keeping everything aligned.

Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldGS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldGS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldGS is offline   Reply With Quote