SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
leslie Nieghbor
leslie Nieghbor is on a distinguished road

Attention My Brake Line Burst on 95 SC2

Driver side wheel well. The flexible Soft brake line was rubbing/contacting the Hard Aluminum Brake line during extended suspension travel behind the front strut. 120K ODO on well maintained 1995 Saturn SC2 5spd California owned car w/ no accidents. The Hard brake line wore away to the point of bursting from the suspension being over loaded/extended. Bad shocks or springs or struts or all 3 idk. I just felt the need to warn other owners about the possible danger on these cars. My brake line burst and the pedel with the floor while I was on the freeway! The dash board light warned me a few seconds before I noticed the pedal go to the floor (along with my bladder...)
Coincidentally my E-Brake was broken b/c the Release button popped out of it a week before. Luckily it could still stop my car it just cant park it. Check the plastic sleeve that covers the Soft brake line for spots of wear through. My Brake line was touching right below the frame/fender mount that the soft line connects to. It was obvious b/c the dull aluminum was all polished shiny where it popped. I was lucky this didnt get cause me to wreck or hurt anyone. I was shocked when Google showed nothing closely related so I decided to post this here. Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leslie Nieghbor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leslie Nieghbor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leslie Nieghbor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: My Brake Line Burst on 95 SC2

That usually only happens when the monkey working on the brakes last wraps the rubber line the wrong way and it rubs on the tire...never heard of it going the other way. Might be what happen on the driver side of my '96 SC2 though, had to replace the line due to a hole in it after I replaced the fuel pump and found it'd now go under its own power but not stop..

I had a rear brake line burst when attempting to slow for my driveway at a previously high rate of speed once. Good thing I keep the p-brake working and _refuse_ to drive/own autotragics...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Boodog
Boodog will become famous soon enoughBoodog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie Nieghbor View Post
Driver side wheel well. The flexible Soft brake line was rubbing/contacting the Hard Aluminum Brake line during extended suspension travel behind the front strut. 120K ODO on well maintained 1995 Saturn SC2 5spd California owned car w/ no accidents. The Hard brake line wore away to the point of bursting from the suspension being over loaded/extended. Bad shocks or springs or struts or all 3 idk. I just felt the need to warn other owners about the possible danger on these cars. My brake line burst and the pedel with the floor while I was on the freeway! The dash board light warned me a few seconds before I noticed the pedal go to the floor (along with my bladder...)
Coincidentally my E-Brake was broken b/c the Release button popped out of it a week before. Luckily it could still stop my car it just cant park it. Check the plastic sleeve that covers the Soft brake line for spots of wear through. My Brake line was touching right below the frame/fender mount that the soft line connects to. It was obvious b/c the dull aluminum was all polished shiny where it popped. I was lucky this didnt get cause me to wreck or hurt anyone. I was shocked when Google showed nothing closely related so I decided to post this here. Thank you
I know I am responding to an old post but very much appreciate finding it.

I discovered the same issue on my daughter's '97 SC2.
While diagnosing another problem, I noticed both metal brake lines in the front had a worn flat spot on them. I looked here on the forum to see if it could be an issue, obviously it is!

Interesting timing of these posts...my post is two years older than the original and there is a two year difference in the age of the cars. It might be that after 16 years the metal brake lines in front of these Saturn's could be at the point of being worn through. Worth a look at yours if you have one that is about this old. It is easy to spot, a shinny area on an otherwise dirty brake line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Boodog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Boodog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Boodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
leslie Nieghbor
leslie Nieghbor is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you found your shiny spot the easy way. Hopefully more people read this post and at least turn the wheel and check their brake lines. I wish I would have noticed the rubbing before the dash light had to warn me. I have since replaced the front shocks and springs and the chance of contact now is nearly impossible. Ebrake is functioning properly again too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leslie Nieghbor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leslie Nieghbor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leslie Nieghbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

As stated in this thread already the flex line rubs on the steel line and or tire when some less than good brake installer puts the caliper back on with the flex line looped to the front of the car instead of the rear of the car.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Boodog
Boodog will become famous soon enoughBoodog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
As stated in this thread already the flex line rubs on the steel line and or tire when some less than good brake installer puts the caliper back on with the flex line looped to the front of the car instead of the rear of the car.
Thanks for pointing that out again. I will make sure the flex lines are in the right spot when I put it back together. Just got the new brake lines on last night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Boodog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Boodog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Boodog is offline   Reply With Quote