SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
Patriots
Patriots has a spectacular aura aboutPatriots has a spectacular aura aboutPatriots has a spectacular aura about

Default Will switching from conventional to synthetic hurt my SL2?

I've got a 2002 SL2 with 175,000 on it currently. I got the car at about 160 and have been running conventional oil through it the entire time I had it. I'd been using Quaker State until recently switching over to Walmarts brand of oil. I don't cheap out on this filters though and use the Mobil 1 extended performance ones

I change the oil on this car every 5k. I noticed today that about 4k from my last oil change the "change oil soon" light came on. which is making me think that using cheap Walmart oil is not a good idea.

What I'd like to know is if switching over to synthetic will do anything bad to this car. I saw a youtube video about this saying it wasn't good for the engine but would like someone's real world opinion on this.

It already burns about a quart to a quart and a half every 5k. Dunno if adding synthetic will make it burn more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Patriots's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Patriots reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Patriots is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Will switching from conventional to synthetic hurt my SL2?

Using synthetic is great for these cars. In fact engineers had assumed it and its likely why there are no drain back holes on the pistons.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Patriots
Patriots has a spectacular aura aboutPatriots has a spectacular aura aboutPatriots has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Using synthetic is great for these cars. In fact engineers had assumed it and its likely why there are no drain back holes on the pistons.

-Robert
What brand/ type would you recommend ?

Thank you for the response

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Patriots's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Patriots reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Patriots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

RobertGary1.
Funny, if that comment was correct, then how come I don't recall synthetic oil being sold in common stores 25+ years ago?
Amsoil was available, but only through their dealers...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I remember reading speculation in the late '80s that the feds would require synthetic oils (and possibly ban conventional) in the near future.

The market was generally unenthusiastic about synthetics at the time, due to the expected expense and the fear / distrust of the unknowns. I don't recall seeing synthetics on the shelf much, either, but they were out there.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-...obil-1-history

Quote:
More than 40 years ago, we introduced Mobil 1 motor oil to the marketplace, making it the first globally available full synthetic automotive motor oil.
Quote:
I change the oil on this car every 5k. I noticed today that about 4k from my last oil change the "change oil soon" light came on. which is making me think that using cheap Walmart oil is not a good idea.
The "change oil light" has no idea what kind of oil you are using.

The computer uses an algorithm based on your driving since the last light reset.

you could be using an extended oil (good for 20k miles) and you'd probably get that light several times during that period. You could also put one of the crappy, "does not meet min specs even when new" oils in there (or a straight 5w oil, if you can find that) and the change oil light would not go on until the calculated time. (you might get a low oil pressure warning, though )

I used synthetic for pretty close to 100k miles on my old SL2 with no issues.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

The oil cap should say 5w30. Try Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 using the longer oil filter Wix 51516 XP. This holds a bit extra oil and has more filtering capacity. Rock Auto has good pricing on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A2Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A2Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I use the OE AMSOIL for my Insight. For a Saturn, I would only use synthetic if the engine doesn't burn much oil.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post

-Robert
This.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
RobertGary1.
Funny, if that comment was correct, then how come I don't recall synthetic oil being sold in common stores 25+ years ago?
Amsoil was available, but only through their dealers...
http://www.obd-codes.com/tsb/1997/saturn/s_series/

The TSB was dated 02/01/2003, for the oil consumption issues with these cars. Mobil-1 Full synthetic was the recommended oil.

Sadly, the TSB was issued AFTER the cars were discontinued by GM.

Synthetics would have just been getting into the market in greater quantities.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Patriots, what no one mentions in oil discussions like yours about switching to syn oil late in a car's life are some heads up warnings.

With known oil consumption using regular oil, anticipate either more or less oil consumption with synthetic. Far too many expect syn oil as a miracle cure and ignore facts already known about their engines, not expecting more oil consumption. This was already proven years ago when M-1 was introduced.

Back in the Neanderthal age when gas was 50 or 75 cents a gallon, M-1 was trotted out for the car market. Its was created for the aircraft industry with engines exceeding normal oil breakdown temperatures from subfreezing high altitude to hot weather airports, idling away on lines before taking off. M-1 was great for aircraft engines when Mobil decided to introduce it to the car market. What car owners and racing teams discovered was engines weren't using synthetic gaskets with some serious oil leak issues. Front and rear crankshaft seals made of rubber expands with regular oil to seal. Syn oil didn't do this and engines leaked this expensive oil from incompatible seals. Oil burning wasn't the issue, seals were. M-1 oil was ahead of its time in the automobile market. Aircraft engines always use the newest products to increase reliability and a reason for expensive aircraft engines, adapting to technology improvements. Once car engine manufacturers realized syn oil was available, they scrambled to change seals compatible with regular and syn oil. It's safe to say engines made since the '80s have adapted to using syn oil with zero issues. This allows syn oil to improve on its cleaning abilities over regular oil, higher temperature resistance before breaking down while regular oil creates varnish, hard coatings on heated surfaces while syn oil remains stabil. The main point of syn oil is improved lubrication in severe temperature extremes. It will not help with worn piston ring sealing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

I switched to synthetic on a Mazda with around 95k miles and an engine with Zero external oil leaks. Three months after switching to synthetic the engine developed several oil leaks of different sizes. It is a known issue that If you switch from a conventional oil to a synthetic oil on an engine with that type of milage you should expect oil leaks to increase and/or develop.

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

Its official Saturn Night has removed all doubt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

I bought my SW2 7 1/2 years ago with 124,000 miles on it. I immediately switched it over to Walmart's Super Tech 5w30 Full Synthetic. It did consume a moderate amount of oil initially and this gradually decreased to virtually no oil consumption* while sticking to as close to 3-4 k mile Oil Change Intervals.

Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic Oil has recently experienced a price decrease on the shelf of my local Walmart (from just under $18.00 per 5 qt jug down to just under $16.00)

*I add less than 1 qt total while topping off between oil changes. Checking oil at every fill up.

I also switched to and use the same full synthetic oil in my other vehicles and experienced the same reduction in consumption.

I have written the same reply here many times over the years so I apologize for being a broken record to those of you who are sick of reading this from me.

NOTE: Your Results May Vary.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #13
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

On my '97 DOHC (150kMi at acquisition in 2008), i ran conventional 15-40 until educated on this site... after which transitioned to "full synthetic" 5/30 & 10/30.

Lubeoil consumption was an issue on that car. The consumption Increased a little for about 10kMi, then decreased a bit, following the transition to synthetic. Leakage was not a problem initially, and did not become worse.

I'm pretty sure the consumption was due to intake valve seals, in that the car would use almost No oil at lower rpms (drove about 8 hours in blizzard conditions, No perceptible consumption at speeds below 45mph). At 55mph, consumption noticeable/tolerable. Above 60mph, consumption severe!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:50 AM   #14
SlayZombi
SlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL

I've been using full synthetic for 15,000 miles (as long as I have had the car. Using Valvoline/Castrol and have not had any issues at all with oil burning/leaking. It's ok dude.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote