SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
CadeK
CadeK is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 L200 Alarm Removal Help

O.K. I will do A quick run down of issues and tried fixes.... For starters We haven't had or used the FOB or main key for approx. 5 yrs with no issue.. Alarm has not gone off for the whole time until recently... Now it all started about a month ago while I was driving on the freeway..... All of a sudden the horn started beeping, the window wipers started on their own, the doors would lock and unlock, along with the trunk.. I searched youtube and tried the WD40 trunk latch fix, since the trunk open indicator seemed to be where the problem started... It seemed to work!! I was able to drive around a couple days with no problem... Than, I was headed to work and I ran out of gas... even though the fuel gauge was reading 1/4 tank... So I thought, maybe the 4 mo old battery was getting killed, or the alternator was going out.. So I took a fresh battery and switched them... I don't remember if I even needed to turn the key, but the car freaked out on a new level... windshield wipers going, door unlocking and locking, trunk unlocking, horn blaring, the fuel gauge worked!, and... the odometer flipped to all 000000's..... I left the key in the on position to let it cycle through whatever it was doing.... Now, the odometer still reads all 00000's, but nothing happens when I turn the key, except a clicking noise from steering column... I let the car sit for a couple weeks as is.... I just want to dismantle and remove the alarm system... Is there an easy way to do this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadeK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadeK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadeK is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 L200 Alarm Removal Help

Unless your car is an actual victim of possession, the factory alarm system, Passlock, cannot be completely disabled or removed. You're describing symptoms of body control module failure (BCM). The bcm drives all the electrical things like wipers, security, odometer, tach, indicators, brake lights, headlights, etc. Search for bcm symptoms in these forums. The unusual symptom of mileage reversing to zero is different - all other bcm failures add mileage with many reporting 64n,nnn miles. When the bcm fails, Passlock may or may not become active. When active, it sends a disable signal to the ecm to disable injectors resulting in disabling the engine from running. Early bcm failures are with the alarms sounding, lights flashing as the car is towed away to the dealer to replace it. With Saturn as a discontinued brand, new bcms may or may not be available with programming. Costs are still between $400-$1000 with GM as GM uses their Tech II scantool to program blank bcms. Used bcms from donor cars can be used but remotes need to be programmed by GM. Mileage cannot be altered by anyone and remains with used bcms despite many stating their sources have altered used bcm mileage. Anti tampering laws relative to mileage. Odometers are also part of anti tampering with a chip that only allows incrementing display numbers.

If you decide to try a used bcm, a 30 minute relearn is needed to 'marry' the bcm to the ecm. Passlock security is exchanged between bcm and ecm before a vehicle can run. The 30 minute relearn procedure is posted here on Saturnfans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote