SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
DaJeBuS
DaJeBuS is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default SL2 won't crank, starter spins

Hey all,

I'm not finding my exact scenario for my starting issue so starting new thread. Love my SL2, 207K, automatic and want to put more miles on her. Wife pulled it into the garage last weekend, try to go to work Monday and no start. Key turns, lights, chime, etc all come on but no click or crank. Put a battery tender overnight just in case but no change. Grabbed a new starter and installed it today. Now when I turn key, the starter spins but no crank. I think the starter was bad, but now what else am I looking for? I cleaned off the battery connectors and the cables seem OK to the touch, not hard and still flexible. I tried shifting to N and starting but same behavior.

Thanks in advance.

"It's peanut butter jelly time!" - Brian the dog
2001 SL2
2001 Ford Excursion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaJeBuS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaJeBuS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DaJeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: SL2 won't crank, starter spins

Check for three things, blown fuses, spark and fuel. Fuel should spray out the fuel rail test valve with ignition on and valve stem depressed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If the starter is turning but the engine isn't...the rebuilder failed. It's possible you can DIY a fix but you'll have to take the starter out and probably void the free-exchange warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
DaJeBuS

2001 SL2

I confirmed all fuses are good. If the engine turned over I would worry about spark and fuel, so I don't see that being part of this issue. Ironically the starter is a new TCY unit. At least it will be easier to remove the unit than it was to get the original one out.

Any other ideas before I go cursing under the car again?

2001 SL2
2001 Ford Excursion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DaJeBuS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If it's not kicking out the gear wheel there's not really anything you can do with the starter installed to get the thing unstuck. If the starter is "new" or parts-store faux-rebuilt then it should have a close to no questions asked replacement warrenty so I'd hesitate to beat on it or poke/prod/pry to get it working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
DaJeBuS

2001 SL2

Thanks fetchitifido. I setup the RMA and will update the thread when the replacement arrives.

2001 SL2
2001 Ford Excursion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

The gear may be moving out into the flywheel, but the sprag clutch in the drive gear is bad. Still the same verdict: take it back for a replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
DaJeBuS

2001 SL2

I promised I would let everyone know of the results. I did get a replacement starter and installed it. There's no photographic evidence, but there's a chance I may have mis-wired the connections on the original replacement. Yes, I shall eat my humble pie to ensure no one else makes the mistake I did. Always be certain where the original wires were when you wire up the new one. At least the old girl is back to life and running well, approaching 208k now. Thanks everyone.

2001 SL2
2001 Ford Excursion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

If the starter was spinning when you turned the key, it seems impossible that you had it wired wrong. Also, there are only two terminals on the starter to connect and they are of significantly different size. I kind of doubt you got them swapped. I gotta ask... why are you thinking you wired it wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote