SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
steven945
steven945 is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 L300 V6 BCM replacement programming issue with Tech 2

I have a 2002 L300 V6
The BCM seems to be failing (very fast odometer accumulation), so I was going to replace it.

I have a Tech 2/TIS2000 setup. I am able to reprogram both my ECM and current BCM with this setup without any issue.

The number on the outside of my BCM is 22697780 and I purchased what was stated as the replacement with number 19116649. The current calibration of the old BCM is 22713289.

I use the TIS2000 and Tech 2 in passthrough mode to replace/reprogram.
When it begins to transfer the data, it gets to the first block, then issues the error "Reprogramming Error! Class 2 - Block transfer data checksum error at step 07." I attempt to retry a number of times, then cancel. I've retried the entire process a number of times, and it always is the same and gives the same error.

Any ideas on this error and how to get past it?

I've attempted to program two of these new BCMs with the same results.
I can either leave the old one in until prompted by TIS2000 to change it to the new one, or just put the new one in before starting the replace/reprogram. In the first case, it pulls the old mileage and in the second case, I enter the new mileage. Same results either way.

I'm willing to try benchtop programming this, so I attempted to make a wiring harness that takes the K-line data from the ODB2 of the tech ii to the BCM class 2 serial data and apply +12V to the battery and ignition on pins and gnd to the gnd... but this doesn't work (TIS2000 gives an unable to connect to device error and the tech2 screen stops moving, showing the data transfer line and symbol). Anyone know how to wire the BCM for standalone benchtop programming (OBPA with a Tech 2)?

Thanks,
Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steven945's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steven945 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steven945 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 L300 V6 BCM replacement programming issue with Tech 2

Steve, you're asking questions that are either above the skills and knowledge of most (it not all here (including me) with the exception of maybe less than a handful of former Saturn techs that reply once in awhile. I've never seen a Tech II scan tool other than finding images from a search. All my knowledge is from service manuals and reading in-between the lines. My contributions here would be more questions than answers.

Does a Tech II need to be connected to TIS web to allow programming while it checks for updates? As you know, older GM electronics didn't have canbus with serial communications the only way to diagnose and program pcm's. With ecm's, bcm's, tcm's, vcim's, hvac, abs and airbag modules communicating via canbus with bcm's having serial and canbus wiring, does a Tech II program thru canbus? I don't know if GM has bench setups for programming modules and the few Saturn techs here have never mentioned it. My guess is that it's a little more complicated than you may have guessed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote