SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
whoareyou4
whoareyou4 has a spectacular aura aboutwhoareyou4 has a spectacular aura aboutwhoareyou4 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
1996 SC2
Default wits end 97SW2

I got a 1997 saturn sw2 that runs like crap mainly when it gets hot it is very sluggish, has poor acceleration. When this first started I was think it was a plugged cat, because it seemed to run better when I removed the O2 sensor.
Took care of that thinking that was the issue but it did not solve it. Have cleaned the EGR valve, that did not help, then I swapped in another EGR from my other saturn and that did not help. I replaced the coolant temp sensor, and I thought that did the trick but it started acting up this afternoon on the way hone from work, but it ran fine on the way into work in the morning so it must be something that happens when it gets hot. I also changed the transaxle fluid, I am beginning to think it may be the tranny slipping. Can temperature affect how a transaxle works/shifts. Not sure if it would tell me anything but I wanted to check the fuel trims but I don't have the proper scan tool. Does anybody know if you get fuel trim data via the torque app? I am darn near ready to junk the damn car, its just not worth much more of my time, its got a rusty subframe. Its a long post, but thought I would just run this by the group

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whoareyou4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whoareyou4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whoareyou4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: wits end 97SW2

Car mileage?
Wire set and plugs need changing?
Plug wires 1 & 4 routed parallel to each other as far as they can go from the ignition coil to where the 2 split from each other?

You changed the tranaxle fluid? Did you mean the transmission fluid and filter?
If so, did you use anything other than Dexron III compatible fluid and is it full?

You seem to indicate you thought it was the cat going bad....what if anything did you do then.....gut it, replace it or nothing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mileage? Fuel filter clogged? Low fuel pressure? Low compression?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ do any of these make a difference whenever the car is hot?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
whoareyou4
whoareyou4 has a spectacular aura aboutwhoareyou4 has a spectacular aura aboutwhoareyou4 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
1996 SC2

probably 180K, wires were changed when i redid the cam cover gasket
cat is gone
transmission fluid and filter changed Dexron III
I assume fuel pressure is okay, had an issue last winter checked it then and it was okay, but I can check it again
the sluggishness and poor acceleration happens when it is hot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help whoareyou4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

What if when its hot and sluggish, what if you pull over, turn ignition off, then restart.....does it improve at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
whoareyou4

1997 SC2
1996 SC2

No ... does not make a diffefrence

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Any check engine lights/codes?

Is the motor sluggish when just revving it when hot, or only when in gear?
Check the fuel pressure when its acting sluggish.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
whoareyou4

1997 SC2
1996 SC2

Just had a thought. I did replace the CPS last winter, it was the second time I had to replace in two years.
Can a CPS act up when hot and not display/set a code?
The only code I get now is the one for the rear O2, used to get a EGR code but that went away

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

T assist troubleshooting, i'd renew:
(1) the fuel filter, if it has more than 50kMi
(2) the fuel pressure regulator (on fuel rail)

They're not necessarily implicated with heat... but filters sometimes clog...
and renewing the fuel pressure regulator on my '97 @ 170kMi restored fuel economy, which had been lost as the old regulator began sticking (although it responded well to vacuum variation as seen on pressure gage, vehicle stationary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote