SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Mysaturnbeater
Mysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura about

Default Rattling noise

I have a 98 Saturn SC 1.

In the last few months I've notice a rattling noise when I start my Saturn.
I don't hear any knocking while driving.
When I'm out and about, the car might be sitting for an HR or so, I don't hear the rattling noise. The only time I hear the noise is when it has been sitting a while. Cold engine start.

What are the possible causes? Timing chain going bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mysaturnbeater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mysaturnbeater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mysaturnbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Rattling noise

If its just lifter rattles, I myself would toss a pint of any transmission fluid into the GAS tank. Usually it clears up fast if this is the issue. (boy am I goina' get flack from the usual purists, that if GM or Saturn did not do it in a TSB or put it into the gas tank when it left the factory, then is is verboten )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Sorry
About
That
Unbearable
Rattling
Noise

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Mysaturnbeater
Mysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura aboutMysaturnbeater has a spectacular aura about

What! How could that help?
Yes it's not a big rattle but like I said on my post that when it sits for a few hrs I notice it.
Just now my car sat for about 2 hrs and I just notice the rattle.

So what could be the possible cause(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
If its just lifter rattles, I myself would toss a pint of any transmission fluid into the GAS tank. Usually it clears up fast if this is the issue. (boy am I goina' get flack from the usual purists, that if GM or Saturn did not do it in a TSB or put it into the gas tank when it left the factory, then is is verboten )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mysaturnbeater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
Mysaturnbeater

Ha! No help. It took me a couple of seconds to notice it. 😂.

So this rattling noise is nothing new with Saturn's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Sorry
About
That
Unbearable
Rattling
Noise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Does your car have anti-lock brakes?
My 1997 SW2 makes a dice being shaken in a plastic cup sound that lasts a second when I travel about 15 feet after starting up. Accotding to a mechanic, itís the ABS system initiating itself.
Since these cars have so many various and entertaining noises, itís a long shot that this is the noise you are experiencing. But Iíve been on this forum for 6 1/2 years now and have yet to come across anyone mention or describe this particular noise.

ē 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
ē 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
ē 1994 SL1 new traded
ē 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
My 1997 SW2 makes a dice being shaken in a plastic cup sound that lasts a second when I travel about 15 feet after starting up. Accotding to a mechanic, itís the ABS system initiating itself.
Since these cars have so many various and entertaining noises, itís a long shot that this is the noise you are experiencing. But Iíve been on this forum for 6 1/2 years now and have yet to come across anyone mention or describe this particular noise.
My brothers does that, and so did my 94. My dad worked at saturn from 95-00 and he said that it was normal, if you heard it constantly while driving the top plate had to be removed and the gears would have to be tightened up as the bolts would sometimes back out.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
Mysaturnbeater

Normal Huh. Interesting.
OK well I do plan on working on my valve cover gasket and I take it look in that area while I do the gasket.

So far I don't hear it constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
My brothers does that, and so did my 94. My dad worked at saturn from 95-00 and he said that it was normal, if you heard it constantly while driving the top plate had to be removed and the gears would have to be tightened up as the bolts would sometimes back out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
Mysaturnbeater

Im pretty sure it has abs.
But I don't get the same rattling as u did. It's when I initially start my car when it's cold engine start or when it has cooled down a bit.
No other noises I notice while driving. Well at least for now.

I have 285k miles on it.

I wish I had the capability to work on the engine to and the manual transmission to give it new life 😂.

Quote:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #10
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Sorry to mislead: the constant noise was from the ABS, not inside of the engine. You may have an issue with the oil pump or timing chain? My dads 99 has a nice rattling that will occur when the car starts and revs to about 2k before settling after half a second. Try flooring your car (in neutral) while starting it. I believe it is clear flood mode, as when my dads is floored while cranking it doesnt fire nor smell gassy. Ill floor it, crank it for 5 secs, floor it, crank for 5 secs, then pause, then start it normally. I like to get the engine spinning without firing to ensure some oil is flowing. I know its bad for the starter but it seems easier on the engine that way.
His timing chain is really loud around 2500, and occasonally makes a smacking or tick (no pattern to it) at idle. He likes to say that the chain is talking to us. Eventually it will be redone, only has 99k on it but he ran it low on oil a few times. Ironic, being that he worked at the dealership and used to have to work on the oil burning issue...

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #11
Ricketts
Ricketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really nice

2000 SC1

Quote:
Since these cars have so many various and entertaining noises
Best thing I read all day

And an understatement!

2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ricketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ricketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mysaturnbeater, is your drive belt flopping with the engine idling, suggesting the belt tensioner is worn and hitting its end stop? If you can depress the drive belt with your fingers, try removing the belt and starting up for a minute. If the noise disappears, its the belt tensioner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #13
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Sorry
About
That
Unbearable
Rattling
Noise
Somebody beat me to it.......lolololol

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #14
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

I also have a '98 Saturn & hear a cold start rattle for 1 second ONLY if the oil is at the top of the XX area of the dipstick.

If I add oil to the the "U" or the 1st "L" on the dipstick, the cold start rattle is gone.

Where **exactly** is the oil level on your car when it's level & cold??

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote