SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1
Default Wheel cylinders

My brakes have gone out again. And i traced the leakage to the driver side rear wheel. Figured my problem was the wheel cylinder and so once i confirmed it, i went and got a wagner wheel cylinder.

Ive already replaced the wheel cylinder 2 times before. Well this time the new cylinder failed almost immediately, the seal underneath the dust boot popped out of place and was squirting fluid worse than the one i was trying to replace.

So what brand of wheel cylinder should i go with so i can ensure i dont have yet ANOTHER failure of my brakes due to inferior made wheel cylinders? Ive tried carquest, and i think the last ones were AC delco.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)
Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: Wheel cylinders

[This was previously some pointless words about wheel bearings.]

Edit - OOps you mean the wheel Brake cylinder, not the HUB. Well, I went with Wagner too, and have nothing but good results around 3000 miles now.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

Last edited by Keblar; 08-22-2019 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: misunderstood OP question

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I went with Raybestos and haven't had any issues.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Correction #2 for me:

I double checked and mine were actually AC Delco, not Wagner.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-18E12...gateway&sr=8-1

They did seem pretty substantial and beefy to me, and again, I've had good results.

If your latest one's were in fact Delco too, sorry to hear they've failed on you.

The repair I did was the 1st time I've dealt with drums, so I wish I could be more helpful in suggesting if something other than manufacture might be causing them to fail prematurely.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Can you post a picture of what that "popped out" seal looks like? And also a picture of the installed brake shoes/levers/etc. I sounds like you have something assembled incorrectly there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I'm with billr on this one. I get the cheapest ones money can buy.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Ill get a pic tomorrow when the lights out and you can actually see the components. I guess i can try getting another one and seeing if i have better luck. If that fails too then next ill get a OEM wheel cylinder if i can find one.

I think the one that im replacing now was an AC delco. I have just not had good history with these. My orginal ones went out about maybe a year and a half ago or so, and then one side ended up having a bleeder screw break off. Now this, another cylinder failure followed by the new part also failing. Maybe next time the brakes fail itll be when i really need them and then im screwed for sure.

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

Its all back together right now. Used another wagner wheel cylinder and I needed a set of rear pads too because the old ones were getting low and contaminated from brake fluid. The spring set was relatively new so i used the old stuff. The car stops just fine again, seems like it stops a bit better as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just a guess but when a worn drum is reused, unless the inside lip is ground down or machined on a brake lathe, manually adjusting brake shoes won't be correct because you have to leave shoes retracted enough to fit a worn drum with lip over shoes. If the inside lip is ground or machined away, this allows shoes to be adjusted farther away from home position for less shoe travel when the brake pedal is pressed. If a lip is large enough, it's possible for the brake wheel cylinder to move both positions far enough to pop them out of the cast iron housing. You'd have to understand hydraulics and the physical dimensions of brake piston travel as well as brake shoe travel.

Under normal conditions, a new drum, new shoes are adjusted until the drum slides over both shoes. The fixed position of shoes keeps that half of shoes in place to allow shoes to pivot from the brake pistons forcing the shoes outwards against the drum. The smallest distance, star wheel preadjustment, is supposed to leave a slight drag between drum and brake shoes. A worn drum with a lip won't allow adjusting shoes for the same tight fit unless the lip is ground or machined.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

I bought Wagner wheel cylinders from my FLAPS and they didn't fit.

I then got new (not reman) Centric wheel cylinders and they fit perfectly.

The Wagners looked like they were made by someone who had only fuzzy pictures to work off of. The Centrics looked like exact copies of OEM.

Both were made in China.

This was maybe 6 months ago, and so far the Centrics work fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote