SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default What is the diaper thing in the rear doors?

Now that I have working front windows, apparently I have enough wind to blow the diaper thing around in the passenger rear door. It's coming apart, and what's still in the door is soaked with water. I didn't realize it was being damaged until I happened to look behind me. It doen't really look like fiberglass to me, but it does look like a fiber, but also disintegrates.

If I have enough time today, I'll tape over where the door plastic/liner/pad is supposed to be. I removed it to get to the window switch.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: What is the diaper thing in the rear doors?

Hopefully I have understood you...

Because the plastic barrier under my outer door panels and inner door panels are failing I did a search on this forum and found this - maybe doing something like this would help your problem?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141110

You might not need this exact type of material - it is just an idea to get you thinking.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Duct tape will not last long inside of a door due to the high heat, use the high temperature rated aluminum duct tape. 350F or above recommended. Make a new inner door sheet and place sound deadening material inside of outer skin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I speak big block but couldn't follow this without the context clues of others.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Although I can use ASL, I have no idea what "big block" is - educate me.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Chevrolet 396, 427, and 454. I had a 396 in my '65 Chevelle. 454cid is clearly a big block kid.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
J.W.
J.W. is a jewel in the roughJ.W. is a jewel in the roughJ.W. is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

[QUOTE=focusofheart;2305246]Hopefully I have understood you...

Because the plastic barrier under my outer door panels and inner door panels are failing I did a search on this forum and found this - maybe doing something like this would help your problem?

Great idea ! No doubt you will have to explain what it is. I know...I use one everyday !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J.W.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J.W. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:51 AM   #8
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
Hopefully I have understood you...

You might not need this exact type of material - it is just an idea to get you thinking.
I do need to replace the plastic barrier, but that's not what I'm asking about now. I planned on using plastic from a construction grade bag, but that reflective bubble insulation may be a good option too. I didn't realize the plastic sheeting went under the outer skin.

The stuff I'm looking at now is inside the bottom of the door. I don't know if that's exactly where it's supposed to be, as it's obviously degraded. It looks like diaper material, but I don't know exactly what it is. It's very fibrous but the fibers will disintegrate. The wind must have blown it around as a bunch of it is on my seat now. I hope it's not horrible to breathe.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2019, 02:54 AM   #9
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Duct tape will not last long inside of a door due to the high heat, use the high temperature rated aluminum duct tape. 350F or above recommended. Make a new inner door sheet and place sound deadening material inside of outer skin.
I'm not worried about longevity of the tape, as it's only meant to be temporary until I can clean up and reassemble the door.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2019, 03:00 AM   #10
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Hmm, well that was after working 3rd shift on too little sleep. The rear door has what looks like it was a diaper in the bottom of it. It's a white fibrous pad that's coming apart with the wind and being blown around the back seat area. What's still in the the door is soaked. I have the inner door panel off so I could get to the window switch.

My big question is what's it made of... I've never seen a material exactly like this. I'm also not sure of it's function.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
focusofheart

1998 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193730

When I removed my outer door panels there was plastic sheeting and something underneath it that looked like a white insulation material which was definitely falling apart.

that could be the stuff you are talking about -

I used Gorilla tape to secure the plastic sheeting (and hold in some of the insulation) until I could get back to it and to help prevent possible water from causing more problems (I live in a dry state so that is normally not a concern).

Since I had to take off the window channels to remove the outer door panels I glued 1/2" felt to the my window channels to help divert water also.

As a seamstress, my educated guess is if you have no white "junk" behind the outer door plastic sheeting then the insulation has already fallen apart and settled into the bottom and gotten wet. As far as I could see it was not fiberglass or it would have caused itching.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Probably some form of polly fill insulation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
454cid

Quote:
Probably some form of polly fill insulation.
Poly doesn't disintegrate like this does. It's weird.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Whatever it is it will have a part number and description. Maybe someone will look it up for you and it will be a gen-3 feature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #15
focusofheart

1998 SL2

Quote:
Because I was looking into replacing the failing plastic liners under the outer panels I followed your advice today. I began to replace them using 16" Reflectix insulation and their aluminum tape. It worked out well and was easy to cut to fit. I created the door insulation using 2 horizontal pieces so I could open the center of it to lubricate the regulator.

Thanks 454cid and OldNuc - I may have waited if this thread had not been started.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You will be glad you did that as it cuts down on noise and cold drafts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #17
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
Because I was looking into replacing the failing plastic liners under the outer panels I followed your advice today. I began to replace them using 16" Reflectix insulation and their aluminum tape. It worked out well and was easy to cut to fit. I created the door insulation using 2 horizontal pieces so I could open the center of it to lubricate the regulator.

Thanks 454cid and OldNuc - I may have waited if this thread had not been started.
Did you get any pictures? I likely won't go as far as you have since I'm working so many hours. I don't really want to pull an exterior panel off right now.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #18
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Based on parts diagrams it's just a sound absorber that earlier gens didn't get. Being a parts diagram it's unclear how it's attached to the car, I assume the same silicone that the plastic dust/wind blocker is attached with.

This thread has a few pictures on upgrading it: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141110

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
focusofheart

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
Did you get any pictures? I likely won't go as far as you have since I'm working so many hours. I don't really want to pull an exterior panel off right now.
Sorry - I have no images, although it looks similar to this one on the forum that I originally posted. I think I will need to get a smart phone just to take good images

I did use aluminum tape and started by cutting a piece of insulation to span the top of the door following the level the prior insulation had been.

Then I added a second strip to cover the lower section.

It does not have to be perfect as the insulation is easily cut with kitchen scissors.

Using the door itself as a pattern, I marked out the shape with a permanent marker and basically cut the insulation to fit the door. There was some additional trimming, following the marks where the old insulation had been, so that the holes were exposed for the T-30 screws.

In all the insulation took a matter of about 30 minutes. My husband approved of the job.

The toughest part was removing the outer panel and repairing the 3 broken tabs for the T-30's. I may have second thoughts regarding the passenger front door panel now as that one has never been removed prior either.

I used RipStop Nylon rather than leather (as the backing under the tab) and a couple layers of Gorilla Super Glue to put the puzzle together again. It just took some patience and time to repair. This little trick had already worked on a few other broken door tabs and a hair line fender crack in the polyamar (plastic). I just removed the little silver thingies that the T-30's go through prior to gluing the tabs together. I was surprised all the pieces were available and I did not have to use plastic washers to bridge any space.

I realize that getting a new door panel is the normal route
, yet I tend to repair, if able, with what I have around the house.

The door I finished yesterday is solid and makes far less noise.

Total time was about 2 hours due to the broken tabs. I imagine there is an easier way to get the T-30's off which I will look into for myself.

If you try this route, practice repairing some similar broken plastic first using the glue, so you are comfortable with its strength.

Hope the lengthy verbal explanation helps.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!