SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Console mounted power window switches NLA?

I've checked a few sites and I'm not finding anything, oem or aftermarket for my 2000 SL2. Front windows work sufficiently, but one rear doesn't go down at all, and the other goes down, but doesn't like going up.

I don't care too much about the one that wont go down, but under threatening rain I accidentally bumped the other one down a couple of times before it finally went up.

Anybody try disassembling and cleaning the switches? I have not tried removing them yet.

The rear door mounted switch wouldn't put it up either. I don't know if I tried "down".

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 16X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

Last edited by 454cid; 07-06-2019 at 03:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Console mounted power window switches NLA?

Hasn't everyone popped them apart to clean the contacts? Pretty simple, but keep in mind the buttons are spring loaded so having 3-4 hands is useful.

Usually the contacts get dirty, spark & melt the plastic actuator rendering the whole switch useless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Fron...oAAOSwdiFdG9Se

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

So I blew up my original switch trying to make things work... I tried working it without the cover and ended up shorting it. They're $60 on ebay for used, so I eventually checked out my local yard, and found one S-series. Thankfully a 4 door, third gen. Unfortunately, while present, the window switch was broken. One of the rockers was completely missing, and something rattled inside. I bought it anyway for $5.

I took it apart, and since I now had duplicates, I got more aggressive prying at the plastic rockers that you actually touch when working the switch. I found that they do come off of an inner piece that has the spring contacts. I had one set of contacts that was melted on my original, so I swapped in some good ones. I then cleaned up the brass contacts, with a little Harbor Freight "Dremel" tool and cleaned the electronics in the sink in the house, and dried it off with my computer power supply exhaust. I regreased the spring for the auto down function, and started reassembly. Somehow the first time back together one switch was sticking so I opened it up and started over. I guess something moved the first time. The second time they all worked fine.

I plugged it into the car, and opened/closed the front two widows a fraction of an inch. I didn't want to risk anything greater since it was dark, and I didn't want to end up with windows stuck down.

Today, I fully tested it and the two fronts work fine... the glass is a bit wobbly, at first, but that's no fault of the switch. The rear windows don't work. The driver's side must be mechanical as it shifts slightly up and down, but doesn't really open. The passenger side doesn't even try, and I wonder if without the door mounted switch it's not able to get power.

I'm very happy to have at least the front windows working.

I'm painting the housing/cover that holds the window and mirror switches in the console. I cleaned both of them, and neither looks good. They look faded and "etched". I think maybe the white writing spreads when cleaned. I've got the one from the salvage car in primer, and it's going to get a coat of satin moss green in a few minutes.... won't match but it's leftover from another project, and green is my favorite color.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Great repair!
It also sounds like you have lots of friction on the windows. I use a dry spray-on teflon (or PTFE if you will). Use the little straw that comes with the spray can and aim it into the two window tracks. Don't overdo it, just a light spray and they should glide up and down easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

I lost the open function on my driver side window a few weeks ago.
They are available ('98-2002... choose 2door/vs/4door) from car-part.com
(got one from New Cumberland Auto Parts in PA via USPS); got another from a local wrecking yard.

The blade contacts are 3/16" on Gen2, and 1/8" on Gen3....

I lost a bit from the Lock Switch when attempted dissassembly on mine.

What is the Lock Switch's function?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Power door locks usually.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #7
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
I lost the open function on my driver side window a few weeks ago.
They are available ('98-2002... choose 2door/vs/4door) from car-part.com
(got one from New Cumberland Auto Parts in PA via USPS); got another from a local wrecking yard.
I didn't think about car-part. What kind of prices were you seeing?

Quote:
What is the Lock Switch's function?
I assume it disables the window switches on the back doors, for hauling kids that might fall out if they decide to push buttons.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
I've checked a few sites and I'm not finding anything, oem or aftermarket for my 2000 SL2. Front windows work sufficiently, but one rear doesn't go down at all, and the other goes down, but doesn't like going up.

I don't care too much about the one that wont go down, but under threatening rain I accidentally bumped the other one down a couple of times before it finally went up.

Anybody try disassembling and cleaning the switches? I have not tried removing them yet.

The rear door mounted switch wouldn't put it up either. I don't know if I tried "down".
If the door switch will not power the window up and down, then your master window switch is not your problem.

You need to replace the window motors on the defective doors.

As far as the master switch, those are likely NLA from GM. Can try a junkyard for a used one.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
If the door switch will not power the window up and down, then your master window switch is not your problem.

You need to replace the window motors on the defective doors.

As far as the master switch, those are likely NLA from GM. Can try a junkyard for a used one.
The motor is fine. It's electrical... switches or wiring.

I still have to reassemble thr rear switch after cleaning it. Unfortunately, I don't know which direction the contacts go. The contacts seem to have a direction, unlike the ones in the front switches.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

My local Wrecker (MidIsland, NY area): $35+$3.50tax = $38.50

New Cumberland Auto Parts in PA : $25 + $10shipping = $35

Cheapest listing seen online @ car-part.com : $20

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote