SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #81
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 98 SC2 project. Drive for now, maybe rebuild later.

If needed I can photograph this when assembled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 PM   #82
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

OldNuc, I'd be glad for the pictures if it's not a hassle. The videos showed the opposite problem that I had - seat locked and not sliding.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #83
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

This thing is a major under taking to get to function when the seat is not bolted down. Will get pics with it all assembled in AM.

If the main track is not attached to the frame it will never work though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #84
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Looking at your image below, at the top left is where the control cable attaches to the seat back position lever. hold the cable and operate the back release lever and move the back to the more leaned back position, does the cable move? This is what controls the main track latch by manipulating the lock mechanism. The seat track will not latch when the back is all the way forward once the latch the other end of the cable is attached to is tripped. Your mechanism is in the tripped position and that is why it will not latch. It can not operate properly with that mechanism removed from the seat frame. It does not look broke. This thing does not function correctly once removed from the car most of the time either.

Picks to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg off track.jpg (54.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by OldNuc; 05-09-2018 at 12:10 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #85
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

OldNuc,
The cable seems like it works fine. What disengages the little locking pawl with the spring? I assume not the cable. If I understand the mechanism, the cable is a parallel path to the normal release lever under the seat. When the lever is used, it does not move the part the cable attached to due to the curved slot. When the seatback is folded forward, the linkage hits the end of the slot and it releases the seat. At he same time the locking pawl locks it released.

There is a scar on the release pawl. It seems like there used to be a little bump on the locking pawl which would hit the square-ish piece of steel alongside the track. If there was a bump on the pawl I would think this would release it when it slid backwards.

I may not be seeing the whole thing.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #86
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I finally figured out your problem. The latch lock is missing the little part that contacts that slightly mangled part of the actual seat slide. It is designed in 1 direction it will ride over the latch tab and in the other release the lock by contact. As long as the seat back is in the full lean forward the slides remain unlocked and driven forward by the spring. The reason for the ability to bypass the latch tab in 1 direction is ther is more travel forward past the point where this trips and if the back is raised back up it will all jam up without this slide over function. Easy fix is to go harvest a new lower slide assembly from a passenger seat. Pictures showing the latch about to be released by the unmangled tab. The seat is bottom side up in these pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #87
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Thank you for the pictures. For now I have removed the locking pawl. If I get ambitious, I'll weld some material​ back on and rebuild it. The junkyard fix is probably more sensible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pawl removed 2.jpg (206.0 KB, 124 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #88
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Here is my old and new ground cable. Whoever designed the routing so that you have to unbolt the fuse box to replace it - 10 demerits.

New tranny fluid going in while Adam pulls the old starter.

While replacing the starter, noticed the shift cable seal is not installed. Whoever worked on this car should probably stick to their main hobby, which was probably killing small animals.

On this Saturn I slotted the washer rather than destroy the plastic of the dipstick.

Fog light bulbs replaced, fog lights work now.

Matthew sanded and polished the headlights and foglights.

My new $39 (delivered) DB Electric starter is awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new ATF.jpg (138.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg unfogged lights.jpg (194.2 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg slotted washer.jpg (204.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg old ground cable.jpg (123.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg shift cable seal.jpg (122.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg fog lights.jpg (103.2 KB, 115 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #89
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Just for comparison, here is what the headlights used to look like. The picture does not do it justice. It was really bad before.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #90
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Just a small hint here. If you leave the fog lights on and then turn off the key and the lights but leave the fog light selector button selected it places a rather significant parasitic load on the battery. Be sure to de-select fog lights when you are finished with them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #91
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Interesting. I did notice they only come on when the lights are on, but I assume you mean it pulls the relay in. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram truck-a-saurus with fog lights. I've owned it since 2007. I used them for the first time last year. They are great in fog and snow. Now that I have discovered them, I only use them when I need them.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #92
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It energizes the logic for the relay and that draws enough to kill a weak battery. Fog light relay is only enabled when lights are ON.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #93
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

That's a nice looking vehicle, and great job on the lights.

Too bad IL requires a front plate. The cars look so much nicer without them

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #94
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I will second that the headlights look great. We need to do the same job on our 99
I did it on my Tahoe and I did not clear coat it now it is time to do it again. It lasted a little over a year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #95
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Thanks. I have not clear coated either set of headlights. I wet sand by hand with 220, 800, and 2000 grit. Then I use the Harbor Freight headlight polisher. Just the foam one, the sandpaper on the drill seems very bad. Takes well less than an hour.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #96
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Look for something that is polycarbonate safe or plastic safe and UV resistant. There are specific headlight coating products available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #97
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

As I mentioned I had to grind off the right front bolt on he passenger seat. I pulled the carpet away, and attacked with a torch, PB blaster, and small vise grips.

Success!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the attack.jpg (141.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg victory.jpg (155.9 KB, 112 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #98
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That answers someones question as to where one of the hidden VIN numbers are located.

You are getting lots of practice in removing broken fasteners. You should invest in a gallon can of KROIL, it is only sold by the gallon.

Most rusted fasteners that will break off when removal is attempted with ratchet or breaker bar will come out without breaking if you use an impact wrench.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #99
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

One other thing about the car. We overfilled the oil at the last change. Didn't​ worry about it too much. 400 plus miles later, it is still over full and the oil still looks clean on the dipstick.

My younger son got his first SC2 lessons tonight. He had driven the '99 SL2 a couple times prior.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:43 PM   #100
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You can get away with oil at the first L on full after sitting overnight with no issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!