SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
outtafocus
outtafocus is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Taking a chance

I have one of these. I dont think I will ever actually hook it up to the car or even go through the software setup.

If any one wants it, its yours for $10 plus cost of shipping from Canada.

08 Astra XR/SRi 3Door, Star Silver, 18" Penta Alloys, Irmscher Boot Spoiler
16" SRi Alloys, Kumho I'Zen Winter Tyres, Yakima roof rack, Rockymounts Pitchfork,
Eonon D5107, Blue LED conversion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outtafocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outtafocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outtafocus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
czd3my
czd3my is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Sent you a PM about the one for sale...

2008 Saturn Astra
2000 GMC 2500 4X4
1997 BMW 540i6
1991 Audi 90 Quattro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to czd3my's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help czd3my reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
czd3my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
Aprime
Aprime is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Is it spoken for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aprime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aprime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
barbaros
barbaros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtafocus View Post
I decided to order one of these up also.
For the price its hard not to want to try it out.

Any tips or tricks?

Have you had any chance to really have a good play with what it can do?

I bought mine from ecudevice.com

have a look at this page there are many options but i bought OP-COM ecudevice.com/index.php/car-diagnostic-tools/53/obd2-code-readers2013-02-10-20-10-48_.html

Price is about 25$, good service, fast delivery, also good quality. I'm very sattisfied.

Hope it'll help you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to barbaros's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help barbaros reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
barbaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
barbaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by czd3my View Post
Sent you a PM about the one for sale...
how much ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help barbaros reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
barbaros

I bought the same one and paid 40$ including shipment

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #27
trm65
trm65 has a spectacular aura abouttrm65 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
And yes, use the 2008 astra h model
Were you able to get any coolant temp, oil or volt info displayed? have you tried anything with the aux input?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trm65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trm65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #28
barbaros

Quote:
Alrighty everyone. Apologies if the pictures are big at first, I'm waiting for photobucket to reduce them in size.

So here is the deal - I was hesitant about dropping a ton of cash on something I wasn't even entirely sure would work. I looked up a place that was selling one of the Chinese clone OP-COMs and went ahead and purchased it thinking that if the clone works, then so should the more expensive, supported one. It came in the mail yesterday and I didn't get it until I got out of work late last night.

Prior to hooking it up to my PC, I installed the software that came with it. The instructions were a little weird, but that was expected. Before I connected the OP-COM to my computer, I wanted to see what was under the hood of this thing. What I saw actually surprised me. I have a real OP-COM motherboard. I'll let the pics do the talking.

In the last pic, you'll see the date of manufacture and a big ol OPCOM. 5

I connected the OP-COM to the USB cable and further upgraded the firmware from the stock 1.33 to the 1.44 revision. Keep in mind, I have an older laptop running Windows XP, so I really think this helps with getting everything set up.

Now here is the interesting part. The OP-COM has no idea what kind of car it is attached to, nor can it understand the VIN to automatically decipher what the model is.

I plugged it in all nervous as hell. What do you know, it works. I'm going to have to record a video to show all the things it does. Apparently I have three codes stored in the system, yet it does not show a MIL light.

I couldn't believe it actually would control various parts of the car. I was able to get it to systematically turn on lights, test engine components, see voltage and other sensor parameters, the list goes on and on. What I couldn't do was mess with the items that require the security code for the car because I don't have it handy. I"m going to have to go to the dealer to see about that.

I paid $65 for this little thing, and I highly doubt I'll drop $1000 for the other one.
I bought the same for 25$ plus shipment 23$

http://www.ecudevice.com

http://www.ecudevice.com/index.php/c...28-detail.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #29
barbaros

Quote:
So I've decided to put to the test if the OP-COM will work with our cars. I just ordered it tonight. I hate to be the guinea pig, but I really want an answer here.

For those who don't know what the OP-COM actually is, follow this link: http://www.ilexa.co.uk/content/category/2/5/2/

It is essentially a tech2 on a laptop, made by a second hand company outside of GM.

I've got my fingers crossed and will report on how this actually works out.
I bought this from ecudevice for 25$
direct link is http://www.ecudevice.com/index.php/c...28-detail.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #30
TDA
TDA is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I think I'm about to buy one of these. (yes, I'm aware I just dug up a 4+ year old thread)

I see WinXP was recommended. I may be able to put together an XP laptop but most of mine are Win10 now. Anyone know if running the software through a virtual machine would result in the desired functionality? If not, I may just dual boot one of my old ones.

Any tips in general?

Looks like this would be much cheaper than finding a dealership willing to help and then going to them every time I add an option... (steering wheel controls, fog lights, etc) Might get lucky and be able to dig into the factory alarm settings and get it to auto arm...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #31
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

HEy TDA, i am just starting to look into this item as well. it seems a few vendors run it under a virtual machine. this one i found and who did answer an email offers a remote set up service:

http://op-com.weebly.com/

I am going to order from him. Does not seem to be the Cheapest ($58.00 US including shipping) but sounds like good support.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:12 AM   #32
TDA

2008 Astra XE

I ordered one off ebay for $16 from vinipro.
I received it super quick. I have a 32bit win10 computer that recognizes it fine. I've not actually hooked it up to the car yet though.

Still trying to figure out how to get the security code for the car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #33
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Nice, I investigate the security code a bit too. Seems there is a way you can get it yourself it involves soldering some leads onto the back of your Insturment cluster and getting another tool to read the EPROM chip. OR you can go to the dealer and if they have an updated Tech 2 and I think they will need to connect to a GM website to retrive it. I would expect they would charge an hours labor as that seems to be the standard in the US.

In the UK they go with their titles to the dealer and get a copy of a card that comes in the owners manual when new. Not sure we ever got those.

I am sending mine in for a recall soon and will ask them then if they can get it for me. Will report back.

EDIT: And BTW you do not need the security code for every function so hook it up and see what you got. It seems to be only needed for programming of modules and anything to do with the immobilizer system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #34
TDA

2008 Astra XE

Using the OpCom 2010 'china clone' version, it works well and does let me see a lot of things. I was able to clear a few codes that wouldn't have actually triggered the check engine light. When I cleared the actual check engine codes, it never actually took.

Found a VauxCom 2014 version and installed it. When it launches and when it first talks to the ECU between different things, it is VERY slow and seems like it crashes. But, if you wait, it does work. Once connected, it seems to work well. Has a lot more options for various things than the OpCom version did. I was able to actually clear my check engine codes with that and get it to stay. (though one of the codes did re-trigger)

I did notice something a little scary though... with VauxCom, when the engine is running, there is an occasional miss. I don't see that with OpCom. It also loses connection more often than the Opcom version. While going through some light tests, it lost connection and the light was stuck on until I turned the car off and back on.

There are things with both that are not recognized on the car. Like what ABS version and such. It'd be nice to find a way to fix that. VauxCom does seem to be a bit better about it though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDA's Reputation
Old 05-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #35
TDA

2008 Astra XE

It's been another couple years...

I finally got my security code. Enabled my steering wheel controls. And I was able to poke around with the Opcom more than I was before.

Seems there is a bunch of interesting settings in the Program Variables for the REC from screenshots and videos I've seen. BUT... my REC is a version 0x0110 and Opcom software has no configuration for what to do with that version.

Same thing with the UEC and several other things.
Tried multiple versions of the software.

Thinking about seeing of the Holden Astra people have this problem. Or the Brazilian Vectra GT people. And if anyone figured out a solution.

Was thinking about simply renaming the configuration file for a different REC version to match what it needs for mine. But, that could be dangerous. I could change something, screw everything up, and have no way of recovering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDA's Reputation
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #36
juvanta
juvanta is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to the results!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to juvanta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help juvanta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
juvanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #37
dmfgoo
dmfgoo is on a distinguished road

Seeing the price on that bad boy, I certainly hope your gamble works out! It looks to have some very useful features; I have something somewhat similar for my Impala.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmfgoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmfgoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmfgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #38
tfreed1
tfreed1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDA View Post
It's been another couple years...

I finally got my security code. Enabled my steering wheel controls. And I was able to poke around with the Opcom more than I was before.

Seems there is a bunch of interesting settings in the Program Variables for the REC from screenshots and videos I've seen. BUT... my REC is a version 0x0110 and Opcom software has no configuration for what to do with that version.

Same thing with the UEC and several other things.
Tried multiple versions of the software.

Thinking about seeing of the Holden Astra people have this problem. Or the Brazilian Vectra GT people. And if anyone figured out a solution.

Was thinking about simply renaming the configuration file for a different REC version to match what it needs for mine. But, that could be dangerous. I could change something, screw everything up, and have no way of recovering.
I would like to get my Security Code so that I can program spare keys. How did you get the code?
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tfreed1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tfreed1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tfreed1 is offline   Reply With Quote