SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
ajs525
ajs525 is on a distinguished road

Default 07 Aura Door Lock Switches don't work

Hello,

I have a 2007 Aura SE and I am having problems with the door lock switches. Both of the switches, passenger and driver side, do not work. They operate fine when using the remote key pad but not when I press them manually inside of the vehicle. They also work fine when the car is shifted into park. They both failed at the same time.

Has anybody had this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs525's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs525 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs525 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: 07 Aura Door Lock Switches don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs525 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2007 Aura SE and I am having problems with the door lock switches. Both of the switches, passenger and driver side, do not work. They operate fine when using the remote key pad but not when I press them manually inside of the vehicle. They also work fine when the car is shifted into park. They both failed at the same time.
How about the rear door locks? Are they acting the same? Pressing up & down produces no sound at all from the actuators?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
ajs525

I am not near my car now but I don't believe there is switches on the back doors.

There is no sound at all when a press the switches.

Somebody on another forum had a similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty door lock switch caused by moisture. I guess this can cause both lock switches to not operate and also cause issues with the theft deterrant system.

My driver side door lock switch mechinisim was replace a couple of years ago under warranty. I think I may need to replace again.

Does anybody know if the switch mechinisim in the door must be replaced at the dealer or can it be "do it yourself"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ajs525 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Does anybody know if the switch mechinisim in the door must be replaced at the dealer or can it be "do it yourself"?
Extremely easy DIY. It honestly would take more time to type and post instructions than to actually do the job.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
WhiteGhostII
WhiteGhostII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Extremely easy DIY. It honestly would take more time to type and post instructions than to actually do the job.
Would you mind helping someone else with this problem out then? Since it would take so long to type, I wouldn't mind some hands on teaching haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhiteGhostII's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhiteGhostII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WhiteGhostII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

No problem.
  • Inside the door pull pocket, there is a rectangular rubber pad. Remove it and you'll see two torx head bolts, remove them. You'll probably have to buy a torx socket set if you dont already have one. There is several different sizes of torx bolts on this car, and they have become a very common type of bolt. I'd get an entire set rather on just one for this project.
  • Once the bolts are removed, tilt the entire switch panel up from the rear and pull rearward. There is a small clip that holds down the front part of the panel, that is why you need to pull it rearward.
  • Once the panel is disengaged from the door, unplug the electrical connectors. There are three.
  • Now that the panel is completly free from the door, disengage the lock switch from the panel. It snaps in place.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
ajs525

Would this part be called the "door lock actuator"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
ajs525

Does anybody know if I can by a Saturn Aura door lock switch somewhere other than the dealer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Would this part be called the "door lock actuator"?
In the past the lock acuator and latch were two seperate parts. Almost 10 years ago GM combined the two parts into one unit. Its basically an electronic latch. The parts books and websites refer to it as a latch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Does anybody know if I can by a Saturn Aura door lock switch somewhere other than the dealer?
Sunday when I get home from my mini vacation I can get you the part number and you can get it fron gmpartsgiant or a similar online oem seller. Should be about $15.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
ajs525

Quote:
Sunday when I get home from my mini vacation I can get you the part number and you can get it fron gmpartsgiant or a similar online oem seller. Should be about $15.

Thank you very much!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Hello,

My advice is pay a dealer mechanic to diagnose it with a tech 2. You can do your own repair after that. Throwing parts at a problem more often than not turns out much more costly in terms of your time & money. The door lock/unlock circuit is pretty complex & you may find after replacing one switch that it was actually the other switch or one of the door lock actuators or something else entirely like the shift interlock. A mechanic with his tech 2 can isolate the problem pretty quick. You'd have to consult a dealer to get his diagnostic fee...I won't even guess. My 2 cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
In the past the lock actuator and latch were two separate parts. Almost 10 years ago GM combined the two parts into one unit. Its basically an electronic latch. The parts books and websites refer to it as a latch.
I wondered about that. On every other car I've owned they called them actuators. I guess GM had a better idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
juggaloscorpio
juggaloscorpio is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

My 09 driver side dont work but my passenger side works like it should the dealer here wants a mere $35 for the new switch which is cheaper than the $100 for the warranty to be used but i was wanting to know where to buy one for cheaper than that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to juggaloscorpio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help juggaloscorpio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
juggaloscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggaloscorpio View Post
My 09 driver side dont work but my passenger side works like it should the dealer here wants a mere $35 for the new switch which is cheaper than the $100 for the warranty to be used but i was wanting to know where to buy one for cheaper than that?
You are sure it's the switch & not the actuator/latch assy (which are much more prone to failure)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Hello,

One more brief point:
If the switches have gotten wet (from say: using water when installing tint on the windows or allowing rain inside the vehicle) that can cause them to misbehave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #17
WhiteGhostII
WhiteGhostII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
One more brief point:
If the switches have gotten wet (from say: using water when installing tint on the windows or allowing rain inside the vehicle) that can cause them to misbehave.
Yeah I believe that is why mine went out, it send my Saturn into a locking and unlocking fit while driving around after leaving the window open when it rained, whoops

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhiteGhostII's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhiteGhostII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WhiteGhostII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Not only are they not resistant to being sprayed with water they actually trap water inside with no provision for drainage. Most cars use a similar design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
ajs525

I replaced the drivers side lock switch and everything works fine now.

Thank you for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
I replaced the drivers side lock switch and everything works fine now.

Thank you for your help.
So you have had to replace the driver's side switch twice in two years. Do you have any reason to believe that it's getting wet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!