SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Bjorno
Bjorno is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SL2 with electrical issue, running lights flash- instrument cluster haywire

So I brought this beast back out to do some more work on it, and now it is having electrical issues.

Running lights flash, Tach bounces from 0 RPMs back to 1000, lights flash etc. H

Here is a video of it doing it's thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6xN9p3eAw

Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bjorno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bjorno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bjorno is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 99 SL2 with electrical issue, running lights flash- instrument cluster haywire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorno View Post
So I brought this beast back out to do some more work on it, and now it is having electrical issues.

Running lights flash, Tach bounces from 0 RPMs back to 1000, lights flash etc. H

Here is a video of it doing it's thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6xN9p3eAw

Any ideas?
Is there anything electrical that you noticed doesn't work at all? Particularly the door chime, radio, dome light (both by switch and door jamb switch) that doesn't work? I think the first step is to figure out what works and what doesn't work.

The chime should sound whenever the drivers door is opened while the key is in the ACC position and when you first turn the key to the RUN position if the driver's seatbelt isn't latched.

Check all of your accessories like the radio, power locks (all buttons on doors), power windows, power mirrors, sunroof (if equipped), horn, low/high beam headlights, taillights, turn signals, map lights (by rear view mirror - w/sunroof only), dome light.

Do all the dummy lights on the dash come on during the self-test when you first turn the key to the RUN position?

Check all your fuses too. The ones I would emphasize would be the IGN1, IGN4, and CHIME fuses in the interior fuse block. It's located in front of the console, and accessible from the passenger side.

Good Luck

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 181K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 193K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 36K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Bjorno

Default Re: 99 SL2 with electrical issue, running lights flash- instrument cluster haywire

The fuses do not seem to be the issue, as they are all in good shape.

Oddly enough, things like putting the hazard lights on, or sometimes pressing on the brake pedal will cause the car to just die. If I just let it idle, it will run for about 5 minutes with the running lights flashing before it just dies.

It doesn't sputter or anything, it just dies immediately. Like you just turned off the switch.

I took the battery out and started looking for some bad grounds or shorting connections and found the ground on the engine block was frayed and connected by only 10-15 of the ~60 wires on the ground wire. Reconnected the ground wire to the terminal and reattached it to the block. I also cleaned the chassis terminals as well as the terminals on the positive lead to the fuse/relay box.

After completing that, the symptoms remain with one new addition. It now Buzzes when the car is not supplying power to anything.

In other words, once the car dies, it will start buzzing behind where the CD player is. If you turn on the interior lights, the buzzing will cease.

Weird.

I should mention that the battery is on it's way to battery heaven, though it still holds a small charge. I tried a different battery and the symptoms remain, though that different battery is also dead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bjorno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Bjorno

Anyone have any ideas?

I am at a bit of an impasse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorno View Post
Anyone have any ideas?

I am at a bit of an impasse.
You already answered your own question,
Quote:
I should mention that the battery is on it's way to battery heaven, though it still holds a small charge. I tried a different battery and the symptoms remain, though that different battery is also dead.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Bjorno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
You already answered your own question,
So you are saying that a dead battery would cause everything to go haywire like that? I would think it would have to be something else altogether. Unless saturns act like that with a dead battery.

I can see it causing it to die, but to cause the running lights to flash and all that jazz? Seems it would be something else entirely.

I'll go grab a new battery, see if that solves the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Bjorno

Not second guessing you or anything, I know weird things can happen like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!