SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
shibbard1675
shibbard1675 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default SL1 FAST water leak - passenger side

Yikes! My 2000 SL1 is leaking water almost as fast as I can pour it in. The leak emerges from the passenger side, just behind the wheel well, but it's running out from behind a piece of the frame and I can't see where it's originating from.

The car has yet to actually overheat as long as I keep water in it, but the weather here has hit over 100 and I'm going through 2-3 gallons a day just to get back and forth to work.

Any ideas where this leak is coming from? It started quite a bit slower than it is now, but looks like a faucet left on at this point. I shone a flashlight around down there and it almost looks like it's coming from the area around the lower pulley, but everything's so tight in there I can't tell.

I don't have much experience with cooling systems - Help, please!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shibbard1675's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shibbard1675 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shibbard1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
FASTC14
FASTC14 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
1993 SL2
Default Re: SL1 FAST water leak - passenger side

best bet is that it is the water pump. it is tight but if you get the the right tire off and pull the serpentine belt off you can get to the water pump and wiggle it out then use a tiny amount of gasket adhesive and pop the new one carefully not to move the gasket out of place and tighten it down. like you said it is tight but i did it in about 45 min on a drive way i used an autozone part and it was about 1 yeay ago so just a thought

*chicago*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FASTC14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FASTC14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FASTC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Your water pump has gone bad. Get it replaced before you get stranded or overheat and destroy something a lot more expensive.

There are procedures in the How-To Library if you want to do it yourself. Hardest part is removing the pulley.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
FASTC14
FASTC14 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
1993 SL2

what i did was let the pully lose of the water pump via tha 4 bolts or 3 bolts and then moved it around so i could get to the water pump bolts that also made it easier to bul it out of tha tight space just a sugestion ( my spelling sucks)

*chicago*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FASTC14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FASTC14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FASTC14 is offline   Reply With Quote