SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2016, 01:04 AM   #1
Jimmy123
Jimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL
Default What Runs The Odometer

On the Pre 1998 (I Think) Saturns with the mechanical odometer, what does that run off of to make the mileage go up. The reason I am asking is because I am doing an engine swap and am trying to figure out how to make everything work. I know the S-Series doesn't have a speedometer cable, so it must run off something electronic but I can't seem to find that information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jimmy123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jimmy123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jimmy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2016, 01:15 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: What Runs The Odometer

5000pulses/mile from the PCM. Below from FSM.

SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER
The speedometer receives vehicle speed information from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM ). The vehicle speed signal is passed through an RC filter to the input of the speedometer/odometer driver Integrated Circuit (IC ), located in the instrument panel cluster. The high-to-low edge of the square wave input triggers the IC to provide a well defined pulse of current to the coil of the speedometer gage. The IC also counts the input transitions and uses this information to drive the odometers. The vehicle completes one mile for every 5000 pulses received from the PCM.

There are two odometers in the instrument panel cluster. The odometer shows total mileage since the vehicle was built and cannot be reset. The trip odometer which shows total mileage since last reset, and can be reset to zero at any time. The two odometers are not synchronized. This means that even through one of the odometers may advance by a mile/kilometer the other one may or may not advance to the next mile/kilometer at the same time. The odometer is back lit by a single bulb to make it easier to read in all lighting conditions.

NOTE: The odometer always powers up in the season odometer mode, regardless of which mode was selected before turning ignition Off.

The button located next to the odometer allows you to switch from odometer (6 digit display) to trip odometer (4 digit display). By pressing this button, you can toggle between the odometer and the trip odometer. To reset the trip odometer to zero, select trip odometer and hold the button in for one to two more seconds .

NOTE: The odometer mileage remains readable for several minutes after ignition is turned Off.

TACHOMETER
The tachometer is directly controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM) using a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM ) signal based on the signal received from the Crankshaft Position (CKP ) sensor. The PWM signal to the cluster is passed through an RC filter and sent to the tachometer driver integrated circuit (IC). The high-to-low edge of the PWM signal triggers the IC to provide a well defined pulse of current to the coil of the tachometer. The engine completes one revolution for every six pulses received from the PCM. The PCM monitors circuit 121 for an open, short to ground or short to voltage and will set DTC P1693 if certain parameters are met.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ OldNuc, is this saying that the mechanical odometer display is controlled and toggled the same way as the digital? I believe the OP is asking for how just the mechanical one works.

Just a slight correction to the OP.
My 1998 SW2 has the mechanical display, not digital. Build date was 09/97 though.

Last edited by toggenburg; 12-07-2016 at 05:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Identical inputs, the clusters will swap. The indication driver is different though, electronic vs. electro-mechanical.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:54 PM   #5
Jimmy123
Jimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL

As some of you know, I'm doing a TDI conversion on a Saturn and was trying to figure out a way to hook up the Saturn odometer to the VW somehow. Is there any way to generate that type of signal and make it read off the speedometer to generate the correct mileage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jimmy123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Need to know what VW does and you know what Saturn does. Once you know both then you can worry about a solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
Jimmy123

2002 SL

I asked over on the the TDIclub forums and was told that the VW odometer works in a very similar manner, I haven't got the exact figure yet but it runs off of so many thousand pulses per mile from the VSS. I'll let you guys know when I get the exact number of pulses it takes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The number of pulses is determined by the number of notches on the carrier. yhrn you have to figure the rest of the drivetrain to get the pulse/mile number.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Jimmy123

2002 SL

Well I plan on running Dakota Digital Speedometer Signal Converters to mate the Saturn speedo with the VW VSS so I'm wondering if I get that to work correctly if the odometer will also work correctly. I found the speed signal wire in the Saturn cluster wiring diagram, so I would guess if I mate that with the VW VSS wire that would go to it's cluster and the signal converter I could get it to work 100% correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

there are companies that make nice GPS Boat Speedometers that run off the GPS Satellite. If you Google it, the manufactures will be listed. Some of them are quite nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy123 View Post
Well I plan on running Dakota Digital Speedometer Signal Converters to mate the Saturn speedo with the VW VSS so I'm wondering if I get that to work correctly if the odometer will also work correctly. I found the speed signal wire in the Saturn cluster wiring diagram, so I would guess if I mate that with the VW VSS wire that would go to it's cluster and the signal converter I could get it to work 100% correctly.
That green wire is direct from the PCM and is the shaped VSS signal. You can feed that into the Dakota converter. The odometer is driven by the same signal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #12
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

I suspect both cars' instrument clusters were Mfd by VDO.

My 1982 VWrabbit and my '97 Saturn both had VDO clusters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote