SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Brazos Bob
Brazos Bob is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default True confessions: "extra" part and missing part

Greetings, all.
First time posting to this forum, which I wish I'd found earlier. To make a long story longer, I have a 95 SL2 that I really like. I'm not into performance, because my bar is generally set at "utility". I bought the car used several years ago, and when it recently lost compression on #3 cylinder my mechanic said to junk it (200k+ miles). Other than that, it was running just fine, and I hated to junk a perfectly good car just because its book value made a "paid" repair unrealistic.
So, I decided to make it a do-it-yourself project, a decision made easier when my son said I could drive his car while repairing my own.
Background: My high school did not have auto shop. My father was not mechanically inclined. Most of my mechanical experience was obtained from watching The Chief (retired Navy Chief Wessel) who was my next door neighbor for several years; Chief, if you'd not moved away I'd be driving this Saturn by now! I have had to pick up things the hard way, but I usually figure that I can do what someone else can do, as long as I do some homework and I'm not in a hurry. I draw the line at brain surgery and transmission repair. In the case of my SL2, I had a car that was one tow away from the junkyard, so how much damage could I do?
Personal philosophy re. repairs: Bob's Rule of Do-it-yourself repair - 1) buy needed parts and any required tools, 2) fix it, 3) determine what it would have cost to have someone else do it, 4) spend half the "saved money" on tools or other toys. You're still ahead of the game, and you're better prepared for the next job.
This job's #1 nuisance: After reworking the head and putting everything back together, I have a bracket and bold that I can't figure out. I had labeled it "behind/below intake manifold" but I'm drawing a blank. The bracket is about 5 inches long, not quite straight, and it's tapped at one end, presumably to screw onto a stud or to have a bolt threaded into it. The other end has a hole in it, presumably to bolt this end onto something. My inclination is to screw the bracket onto the stud that sticks out of the intake manifold and see what comes close to the other end. I looked through lots of interesting pictures of engine rebuilds, etc., but eventually I decided that a public display of my ineptitude would be good for my soul and might solve the problem sooner. Thatís assuming one of you can tell me where this part goes. I did read a thread about priming an oil pump with Vaseline, so I donít need any rectal references.
This job's #2 nuisance: In removing the fuel rail, I lost one of the ceramic spacers (?) from a fuel injector. Saturn will sell me a fuel injector, complete with the ceramic spacer, but doesnít carry the missing part itself. Iím inclined to visit my local ďpick-a-partĒ junkyard and find a Saturn that will donate one of two of these, unless someone can suggest another source.
Thanks for your patience. Comments and suggestions are invited.
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brazos Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brazos Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brazos Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
cazzylee
Advanced Member
cazzylee is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: True confessions: "extra" part and missing part

You could always go to one of the actual mechanics.. "hey dude I lost this injector o-ring do you have one laying around?"

Madness takes it's toll: Please have exact change.
SES light + unplugged sensor = testicle ownage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cazzylee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cazzylee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cazzylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

That bracket should be the fuel line brace. It goes between the intake manifold and throttle body. There should be a clamp or something in the middle that holds the two fuel lines. It takes a special bolt on the throttle body, the kind that has the nut in the middle (hard to explain). Hope this helps.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Pictures will always help to describe whatever it is.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

If/when you visit the boneyard, take a look at one of the engines, should give you a good idea of where that part belongs & might supply you with any small parts you may need to reinstall it.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Got a photo of it?

Hey, don't feel bad. Just after I bought my waggin, the TPS failed. Still on warranty. They overtorqued the replacement and warped the TB. When they replaced the TB, they left off a bracket that goes from (IIRC) the EGR to the TB. I found it laying in my cam cover, with one of the nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
GRIFF
GRIFF is on a distinguished road

Brazos,
It may be the bracket that attaches to the egr stud and then to the TB. Which is a support bracket for the TB.

There is also a small one for the power steering pump/

look in my gallery under ( bracket) It won't show the one for the egr/tb but will show the PS ONE.

Sorry I havent figured out how to insert them here.

Greg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GRIFF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GRIFF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GRIFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

I seem to recall when I did my rebuild that there is a support bracket that attaches to a stud on the bottom of the intake manifold on one end. The other end attaches to the bottom of the block on the backside. Could it be this one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by romzek
That bracket should be the fuel line brace. It goes between the intake manifold and throttle body. There should be a clamp or something in the middle that holds the two fuel lines. It takes a special bolt on the throttle body, the kind that has the nut in the middle (hard to explain). Hope this helps.
there is also a support bracket that's under the intake that i had to partially remove when i did my gearbox removal. i'll check my tech manual and let you know. that part DOES sound very familiar, tho...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
Earl43P
Earl43P is on a distinguished road

Look here:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...2&d=1125961184

Should see it somewhere in this thread if not this particular photo!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Earl43P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Earl43P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
Brazos Bob

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1
I seem to recall when I did my rebuild that there is a support bracket that attaches to a stud on the bottom of the intake manifold on one end. The other end attaches to the bottom of the block on the backside. Could it be this one?
No. I have that one already in place. I thought it might screw onto the same intake manifold bolt... Thanks.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Brazos Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
Brazos Bob

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl43P
Look here:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...2&d=1125961184

Should see it somewhere in this thread if not this particular photo!
Earl:
Another opportunity to confess ignorance on my part. How do I determine which thread this attachment showed up in? Thanks.
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #13
Earl43P
Earl43P is on a distinguished road

Begging 1,000 pardons....

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60814

From the How-to library, cleaning the EGR valve with pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Earl43P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Earl43P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #14
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Bob
After reworking the head and putting everything back together, I have a bracket and bold that I can't figure out. I had labeled it "behind/below intake manifold" but I'm drawing a blank. The bracket is about 5 inches long, not quite straight, and it's tapped at one end, presumably to screw onto a stud or to have a bolt threaded into it. The other end has a hole in it, presumably to bolt this end onto something. My inclination is to screw the bracket onto the stud that sticks out of the intake manifold and see what comes close to the other end. I looked through lots of interesting pictures of engine rebuilds, etc., but eventually I decided that a public display of my ineptitude would be good for my soul and might solve the problem sooner. That’s assuming one of you can tell me where this part goes.
There are two brackets that attach to the bottom of the intake manifold on the front (passenger's) side of the engine. One runs down to the block, and the other runs over to the power steering pump. If I recall correctly, neither bracket has an end that is threaded, although they both slip over the stud threaded into the bottom of the intake manifold.

Does it look like either of these?

Last edited by Razorbak; 01-07-2006 at 06:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #15
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
If I recall correctly, neither bracket has an end that is threaded...
Actually, now that I think about it a bit, the above statement is wrong. The power steering support bracket IS threaded on one end... the end that the power steering bolt threads into longitudinally. I bet it's the power steering support bracket.

On the DOHC engine, torque the bolt from the power steering pump to the support bracket first, and then torque the bolt (or stud & nut) connecting the support bracket to the intake manifold.

Last edited by Razorbak; 01-07-2006 at 06:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #16
Brazos Bob

1995 SL2

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it a bit, the above statement is wrong. The power steering support bracket IS threaded on one end... the end that the power steering bolt threads into longitudinally. I bet it's the power steering support bracket.

On the DOHC engine, torque the bolt from the power steering pump to the support bracket first, and then torque the bolt (or stud & nut) connecting the support bracket to the intake manifold.
Thanks, Razorbak - I'll bet that's the one. I have to get the PS pump out of the way anyway, in order to get better access for torquing down the nuts on the intake manifold bolts, so I'll make sure my "bonus piece" gets on that stud.

As a matter of trivia, I spent an entertaining few hours at a local Pick-a-Part junkyard yesterday, locating parts for my Saturn and another vehicle. I crawled under 6-8 Saturns and was surprised at the variety in terms of braces, or lack thereof. Also, anyone who wonders about wear and tear on the upper motor mount should see those cars. Almost every one had the motor mount already scavenged.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #17
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Thanks, Razorbak - I'll bet that's the one. I have to get the PS pump out of the way anyway, in order to get better access for torquing down the nuts on the intake manifold bolts, so I'll make sure my "bonus piece" gets on that stud.
Good luck. Please confirm, when you get the thing back on, whether or not it actually was the PS support bracket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #18
Brazos Bob

1995 SL2

Quote:
Good luck. Please confirm, when you get the thing back on, whether or not it actually was the PS support bracket.
Yep. That's where it went. I wondered why I had an "extra" bolt in my bag labeled "PS pump". I took a closer look at the PS section that bolts to the head, and found a fourth hole. The extra bolt went through there and screwed into the tapped end of that brace. Thanks for the lead on that location. It must be an easy part to leave off, because I don't think any of the Saturns on my junkyard adventure had the bracket.
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #19
Brazos Bob

1995 SL2

Much thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and ideas on solving my problem. As they say down here in Texas, I'm back in the (Saturn) saddle again. Razorbak keyed me into the home for my "extra" bracket - connecting the intake manifold and the power steering pump. reisjunk alerted me to a potential vacuum leak on plastic tubing running from the intake manifold to a solenoid unit (?) on the head, below the intake manifold. My tubing was OK, but it turned out that the rubber vaccum hose running from that unit to a metal line on the firewall was totally shot.
It's all back together now and it sounds good. Miller time!
Thanks again.
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #20
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Yep. That's where it went. I wondered why I had an "extra" bolt in my bag labeled "PS pump". I took a closer look at the PS section that bolts to the head, and found a fourth hole. The extra bolt went through there and screwed into the tapped end of that brace. Thanks for the lead on that location.
Cool! Congratulations. Glad I could help. It was kinda fun trying to solve the puzzle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!