SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
Default Automatic Dropping Gears?

Well after a transmission replacement, a new issue has shown up, that I had with the transmission just prior to this one that refused to work.

it shifts pretty smooth though all it's gears, but sometimes it has a hard time getting from second gear in to third, it'll shift a little rough in to it at lower speeds if I'm not stepping on the gas.

Also when it started to do this, the RPM's where going higher than usual before it would shift. When it worked, it was fine, but if it drops a gear, I can't get it to shift again until I put it in neutral, shut the engine off, then restart it, then wola! Issue is gone for an undetermined amount of time.

What the heck is up with that!? The fluid level is normal, everything is connected right, and up until today it's been working flawlessly!

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Automatic Dropping Gears?

check your charging system and see if you are charging at 14.3-14.4. I know that the auto's need a good charging system to shift gears properly. Also if you get a chance check your valves maybe the one for third gear is going out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
KingRex
Advanced Member

1994 SL2

Well I had to run a few more errands and it feels like it's tempature dependant, and depends on speed.

When I was getting up on to the interstate, it felt like it just completely blew third gear off and went right in to 4th. it totally shun third gear.

Other times it'll stay in second and won't shift past second.

It seems to depend on speed, and tempature. When it's cold it seems to work perfectly fine. It clunks in to thid sometimes if I'm just easing the gas down, or it feels like its' delaying, but if I put more gas in to it, it'll shift.

it doesn't slam shift, but it still has issues with third.

Valve body going bad? I have no idea what to expect from one as it actually GOES bad. I've only ever seen them after they're bad.

"The Homecoming King"

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The engine ECTS has some input into the shift points. The transmission sensor may also have an input. If its temperature sensitive it also could be a solenoid that dies when it gets hot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
skii33
skii33 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

jump the aldl connector like you are checking for ses codes.....the coolant /temp light will flash, this gives you transmission codes IE code 32 no third gear (don't quote me on the code)....I had a 95 sl2 that had similar symptoms , and it ended up being a feed wire getting hot and losing connection in the back of the inside fuse box. This wire fed the transmission fuses under the hood. This car would do weird shifting things and it would stick in gears until the guy would stop the car , turn it off and restart it ...I know this sounds weird but when it happens check your domelight . The car i worked on I noticed the domelight wasent working while i had the door open and this is what led me to the lose connection in the back of the fuse box...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skii33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skii33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skii33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
KingRex
Advanced Member

1994 SL2

I can check the dome light thingy. I've heard of that before as well. it just doesn't make any sence. It just did it randomly with out warning well I was driving. It's been fine since I installed it up until today.

It did it totally out of the blue. No warning or anything, just one really rough shift, once, and then it's been acting up since.

No check engine light and no codes.

"The Homecoming King"

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
KingRex
Advanced Member

1994 SL2

After doing some research, I have found other people who have posted here before with issues much like the one my SL2 has developed.

I have no codes stored in the cars PCM, nothing. It's not picking up on it's own issues, which is weird because when the bad tranny I had in did this, it was quick to catch it.

Also, I noticed something when I'm driving, I can tell when it's about to happen. it shifts slower, and the RPM's are way higher than normal before it starts to drop gears. If it makes it though all the gears, all the way to 4th, it'll remain in gear. Same thing with any gear. When it loses 3rd at lower speeds, it CAN get back in to third if I jab the gas down hard a few times and get the RPM's way high, then it'll SKIP 3rd and go right in to 4th, no matter the speed.

When it does this, I put the car in to neutral, shut it off (even in motion), then quickly restart it, and boom, issue gone until the next time.

What else I am starting to wonder, as some of the things I said mention the MAP, and ECTS (Which is new). I still have the issue where the cars hesitates to increase speed.

I still have the spare valve body from the original transmission, but I don't want to put it in if the issue is something els.

This is many levels of frustrating, after replacing the transmission TWICE, a new issues, TRANSMISSION RELATED, comes back, totally out of the blue for no good @#$% reason, making it so I have to drive the car around like a retard, fighting with it anywhere I go just to make it work right.

"The Homecoming King"

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

skii33 is on to something here. It very well could be an electrical problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
skii33
skii33 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

If you can catch it while it is happening , pull the car over , leave it running in park and check the three transmission fuses under the hood for power. (I think they are marked trs something....these fuses feed the transmission. If you have power to these fuses while it is acting up it is probably not the wire that feeds the body fuse inside the car ....If you need to talk to me to get a better understanding give me a call after 7 pm eastern standard time at 919-271-8795 thanks Glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skii33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skii33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skii33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
KingRex
Advanced Member

1994 SL2

I checked out out today again, and I couldn't get the issue to happen again, however, it is shifting much harder in to third gear most of the time now. It's not a thud yet, but it's not a smooth shift anymore

"The Homecoming King"

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If this is an electrical problem you will need a schematic for a 95 model to figure it out. On the 98 year both the transmission and fuel pump are fed from the same point so having the car continue to run when the trans acts up would point to a problem other than power supply to the I/P.

Have you checked the condition of the connections in the plug/socket on the top of the transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
KingRex
Advanced Member

1994 SL2

the plug and the socket on the top of the transmission are clean and completely free of any corrosion or anything of the like. I checked when I swapped the transmission in to the car.

I ran a simple test on my alternator today to make sure it's good, and it checked out alright. It was able to run my car, headlights and climate controls with the battery disconnected with no issues.

I did the dome light thing, and it stays on, I also checked the connections on the inside, and outside fuse boxes and they're all good.

I'm thinking it's as simple as the transmission wasn't cared for too well and the valve body is just dying.

"The Homecoming King"

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Everything external to the transmission checks out as apparently OK. That leaves the transmission. Or, possibly a bad solenoid or 2 that are failing when warmed internally by being energized. Thats about all thats left.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #14
KingRex
Advanced Member

1994 SL2

Could the ECU be failing? I know the TC is part of the ECU. Seems sort of odd though that it would fail, but it is a computer, and they do ware out, and break.

I'm thinking it's the valve body is just on it's way out. or my TPS or MAP is not working right.

I still have the power surges from the engine. If I start to step on the gas hard, it starts to go, then suddenly, all the power is there after the RPM's are up for a second or two.

I'm going to pull my map off tomorrow and see if it's plugged, since the intake is very dirty. I'm going to check the resistance from the transmission temp sensor, see of it's bad, past that, I'm kinda at a loss. The transmission up until this intermittent problem showed up, has worked perfectly. I drove it over 200 miles last week with no issues.

"The Homecoming King"

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The PCM either works or its dead. Any strange behavior from the engine will cause problems with the transmission. Best bet is fix the engine first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
SL1_sleeper670
SL1_sleeper670 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Dizzy Re: Automatic Dropping Gears?

KingRex, I'm having similar issues like yours is, but i havent looked to much into it yet..
mines AT too, & once it gets warm/hot it'll start "slipping". also i notice mine is greatly effected by hills or any type of load placed on it.

from what i can tell mine seems to shift from 1st to 2nd smooth (almost un noticable), but then suddenly fall or kick out of 2nd & wont let me upshift it, until stopped & easing into it..which doesnt always work. it also does this going from 2nd into 3rd. from being stuck in this "neutral" state i cants speed up, but itll rev to redline no problem..which causes it to overheat.

i have an exhaust leak, but from what i can tell its not making any grinding or metallic sounds, just rev's like crazy...lately the bad shift occurs around 35mph & i cant go any faster.....ohh, but a couple times its happened i got mad & floored it & its slam into gear, but shortly after fall back into "neutral" or w/e you want to call it. (for my car harsh/jerky shifts arent uncommon).

my idea of the problem currently:
1) ECTS and/or Transmission Coolant Temp Sensor - has gone bad, in turn affecting shifting like previously stated by others, & also maybe causing the overheating.
2) TQ converter - has a couple probabilities:
*stator is seized up-accel. is normal, but cruising speed is effected. this causes limited cruising speed & overheating.
*stator is freewheels-no TQ multiplication will occur, acceleration will be limited, also will have low power, but cruising speed will be normal.
*internal leak-a housing weld cracked or broke causing fluid to be lost=less fluid pressure. or pressure is being lost somehow (seal maybe).
3) TCC (tq converter clutch) - solenoid opperated, locks impeller to turbine creating a 1:1 ratio. trans. fluid pressure applies TCC; pressure could be lost to soon from overheating (thinning fluid) or pushing to much pressure & making it lock early. if a solenoid is going bad it could cause harsh shifts.
4) internal tranny gears or clutches - gears worn out possibly, or the clutch plates friction material is pretty much worn/gone causing it to not be able to hold in gear..
5) electrical - something not getting full power/signal, maybe a build up of resistance somewhere (wires can have internal resistance! so it might look good, but be internally bad), maybe a bad sensor, etc..

i know this is a long reply, but i wanted to share some possibilites & get some help too cuz i think its extremely odd issue to have..
i hope this helps, kinda? if i can figure out whats causing mine i'll reply back & hopefully itll solve yours too. Goodluck though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1_sleeper670's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1_sleeper670 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1_sleeper670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

What are you using for transmission fluid and when was it changed last?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
SL1_sleeper670

1999 SC2

if your talking to me, i changed it about 2,500mi ago, & its just Dextron-III fluid with a bottle of Tranny Honey (supossed to help shift smoother)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL1_sleeper670 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #19
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1_sleeper670 View Post
i have an exhaust leak, but from what i can tell its not making any grinding or metallic sounds, just rev's like crazy...lately the bad shift occurs around 35mph & i cant go any faster.....ohh, but a couple times its happened i got mad & floored it & its slam into gear, but shortly after fall back into "neutral" or w/e you want to call it. (for my car harsh/jerky shifts arent uncommon).
It's stuck in 1st gear. 1st gear will redline at 40 or so MPH. This is exactly the same symptoms my auto had 2 years ago. I rebuilt the valve body (exactly the way I do it now and sell them) and it fixed the problem. Something either cracked or a valve sleeve cracked because it seemed to only do it when hot which would expand the metal and allow it to loose all pressure. 1st gear is a roller gear and doesn't require solenoid actuation either, which the pressure control solenoid no matter how much it wanted to build pressure to shift into 2nd couldn't.

New valve body time.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 AM   #20
SL1_sleeper670

1999 SC2

i did some reseach on ALLDATA at school today, and hopefully i've solved my problem lol.
first i should note that it hasnt overheated at all today (wired the cooling fan on a switch& had it on while driving). this eliminated alot of ideas i had..i drove it for awhile on a somehwat hilly & curvy road to give it a hard time too.

the MP7 transmission is a 4speed (duh) with TCC lock up.
i havent looked into the power flow of every shift, but this is what i found out today:
*1st gear is a Sprag apparently.
*there are 5 Actuators in the tranny-MLP (main line pressure), 2nd, 3rd, 4th, TCC.
*also uses Shift Solenoids to control the spool valve for each gear (opening & closing ports to move fluid for each gear) i dont remember how many tho..
*there was some other stuff, but i cant remember at the moment..

oh, and 2nd gear will NOT work at all now. all other gears seem just fine.
this is what it does currently: 1st gear up to about 20mph, then itll rev up to redline and wont upshift...so in order to upshift i rev up to redline, then let off, but floor it again which seems to allow it to shift up to 3rd.
the reason i know its 3rd gear is cuz itll make the shift @ about 35mph (where 3rd usually comes in) & once it shifts its RPM's are @ 2,000-2,500 which i believe to be about average for 3rd gear.

my plan is to look up more tomorrow, but this week im planning on pulling the valve body & testing the solenoids & actuators if i can...sounds bad but im hoping just a solenoid is bad.. i dont have the option of rebuilding the whole thing due to space & my housing rules.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!