SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
kgilb11771
kgilb11771 is on a distinguished road

Default 1st and 2nd gears gone (Automatic) 98 SL2

This weekend I replaced my starter. Only 2 bolts, but the top one was one of the hardest things I've done in recent memory.

Anyway, the new starter is in and working great. Yesterday morning I finished the job, tested the starter, drove several places, and all was well.

This morning on my way to work, as soon I got off my 5-mile freeway trip and stopped, the airbag light started blinking dimly, and then when I hit the gas to go, it felt as if I was starting off in 3rd (or even 4th) gear.

I'm sure it's possible that I knocked a wire or sensor loose while working on the starter, but I thought I put everything back into place. I've seen mentions in this forum about shift-linkage cables, but they're referenced in terms of manual transmissions. I have the Hayne's manual at home, and am going to try to limp home to double-check my handiwork, but...

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm a VERY amateur do-it-myselfer - this was my first starter, and previously only worked a bit on my '88 camaro "back in the day" changing the thermo, alternator, and cat converter. (amateur...)

Help, and thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kgilb11771's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kgilb11771 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kgilb11771 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Geronimo
Geronimo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 1st and 2nd gears gone (Automatic) 98 SL2

Check the plug that goes to the shift selector or backup light switch on the transmission, that can cause that. It goes on the transmission close to the firewall, some cars have 2 plugs other 1 plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Geronimo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Geronimo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

When you replaced the starter did you reinstall the power out wire from the alt back onto the starter solenoid. It goes on the same stud as the main piower wire from the battery to the starter. It is the wire that gives the electrical system power from the alt when the car is running. If it is not connected you will not get the battery charged.
Never mind that if it grounds out while tha engine is running it will burn out (it is like a large fuse as well).

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Get a voltmeter. Check the voltage at the battery with the engine off, the engine idling and the engine revved up. It's sounding like a charging system problem. That "wire" to which ssicarman refers is actually a fusible link. It's possible it's blown.

Is the charging system warning light (battery icon) on? Does it go on when you turn the key to RUN, before starting the engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
kgilb11771

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
When you replaced the starter did you reinstall the power out wire from the alt back onto the starter solenoid. It goes on the same stud as the main piower wire from the battery to the starter. It is the wire that gives the electrical system power from the alt when the car is running. If it is not connected you will not get the battery charged.
Never mind that if it grounds out while tha engine is running it will burn out (it is like a large fuse as well).

This was the issue. Thanks to Geronimo's original post I was back under there quadruple-checking the wiring, and yes, I had indeed wired the alternator to the solonoid's post instead of the same post as the battery-lead. Thank you all very much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kgilb11771 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
kgilb11771

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Get a voltmeter. Check the voltage at the battery with the engine off, the engine idling and the engine revved up. It's sounding like a charging system problem. That "wire" to which ssicarman refers is actually a fusible link. It's possible it's blown.

Is the charging system warning light (battery icon) on? Does it go on when you turn the key to RUN, before starting the engine?
Now that you mention it I will double-check that I didnt' blow the link during my "diagnosis" - thanks for the suggestion. At least now I can drive to buy a voltimeter!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Well, if you're charging now, after having reconnected that fusible link in the right place, it must be good. Still, a cheapo multimeter is one of the handiest tools a DIYer can have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgilb11771 View Post
I'm a VERY amateur do-it-myselfer
you're initiated into the club now buddy..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
kgilb11771

Thanks, Bill. I'll try to keep my questions concise and my subject-lines informative

Keith

REWARD EXCELLENCE!