SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Itsme2970
Itsme2970 is on a distinguished road

Default Sohc to Dohc swap done with issues

Swapped out a motor for single mom because thatís what she had and had no funds to purchase a new motor. The swap actually went well with few issues, however I have a po171 code that I have yet to chase down.. as far as I can tell there are no intake leaks to cause the lean mix. I am curious to know if the injectors being smaller due to bein sohc is the problem. I did not change out the pcm because the car has antilock and some other things the donor motor didnít have. The swap is 96 sohc to 96 dohc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Itsme2970's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Itsme2970 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Itsme2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Sohc to Dohc swap done with issues

The SOHC PCM will run the DOHC as a grocery getter with no issues. The code is likely real. Check your fuel pressure as that is the most likely cause. You are looking for 38-42/44 KEY ON Engine Off and 33-36 at idle. Regulator on the rail can be bad and the one from the old engine should fit if you are lucky.

Exhaust air leaks can also cause this code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Itsme2970
Itsme2970 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I will check that Monday first thing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Itsme2970's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Itsme2970 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Itsme2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Did you swap in the SOHC injectors or are you using the DOHC injectors. You do want to keep the SOHC PCM or you might end up buying a world of expenses/trouble swapping in a DOHC PCM. It should run fine on the SOHC PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

P0171 exhaust lean, maybe check/replace the O2 sensor. It may be on its way out, and just hasn't set an O2 sensor code yet.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is a hillbilly fix that almost never works as the O2 sensor is closely monitored and they either work or not, no half way. If there are no O2 sensor codes then it is very likely not broke. Lean codes are very difficult to fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That is a hillbilly fix that almost never works as the O2 sensor is closely monitored and they either work or not, no half way. If there are no O2 sensor codes then it is very likely not broke. Lean codes are very difficult to fix.
I agree with OldNuc don't replace an O2 sensor because you get a lean code error.

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...-january-2018/

Here is an excellent tech article, that is very detailed, and covers the multiple causes of a lean condition.

And, yes, the O2 sensor CAN be a culprit for setting the P0171 code in OBD-II systems.

as Quoted: "In general, a rapidly and regularly switching front O2 sensor is the best predictor of a fuel mixture thatís in control. However, a damaged, contaminated or degraded sensor may develop a bias that skews its performance away from stoichiometry, causing it to switch at a different air/fuel ratio. This, unfortunately, will not in and of itself necessarily result in a DTC if the total fuel trim corrections (STFT + LTFT) remain within an acceptable mathematical range. From time to time, a faulty O2 sensor that cannot identify or report a rich mixture may cause a false DTC, so you should always verify O2 sensor function and response early in the diagnostic process (see ďTrust, But VerifyĒ on page 30)." Page 30 is directly under this quoted area, in the article.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I think the writer should take a close look at the O2 sensor DTCs and figure out how they function. If there is no DTC and the 171 is a continuous event then the sensor is functional and if there is a O2 sensor DTC active the 171/172 codes are locked out. By definition and programming if you set a rich/lean DTC then the fuel trim is out of limits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

We can verify the condition of the actual fuel mixture by pulling the spark plugs and looking for white, blistery grounds.

Part of isolation troubleshooting is to eliminate all possible causes. It is better to at least verify it, by taking a spark plug out of the cylinder, than to do everything else and not eliminate the code.

I may not be correct in stating to replace the O2 sensor, which I will very easily say I am sorry for if I am wrong.

I am not incorrect by stating that verification of O2 sensor functionality as part of the OPs troubleshooting steps.

I went through a rigor Moro on troubleshooting a misfire and excessive power loss on my Grand Am, because I overlooked something that seemed as though it was NOT the cause and was NOT throwing any DTCs.

Replaced the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator, the coils, the spark plugs, the wires, the MAP sensor, the O2 sensor, fuel filter, EGR valve(I was getting a Code 32), and even put a whole throttle body on the replacement engine(when all the previous repairs did not correct the issue, eventually the misfires burned a valve and I had to replace the entire engine. The replacement engine had the same symptoms as the old engine did, and was about the same amount of mileage).

None of that corrected the issue on two engines. You know what the problem was?

The design of the crankshaft position sensor, and its location inside the engine block causes it to develop a hairline crack in it at about 90-100k miles. It NEVER throws a code, because it does still send a signal to the ECM. It just sends a skewed signal that causes incorrect ignition timing and fuel delivery.

So, a $22 part and 1 hour of labor would have saved me over $1,400 on a replacement engine, not counting all the other costs in repairs that didn't correct the problem.

So, IF is CAN be a PROBLEM, it SHOULD be VERIFIED as functioning CORRECTLY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!